Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city should get a major league baseball team next?
San Antonio 16 25.00%
Portland 14 21.88%
Charlotte 11 17.19%
Memphis 2 3.13%
Nashville 9 14.06%
Oklahoma City 4 6.25%
New Orleans 8 12.50%
Indianapolis 12 18.75%
Columbus(Ohio) 5 7.81%
San Jose 8 12.50%
Salt Lake City 1 1.56%
Orlando 4 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,824,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I really like this list for the NBA. I agree with all the cities could/should have NBA teams with the exception of Louisville and Austin. I thinki they're more of college towns. I'll give Louisville 5-10 more years before they get one. Although Louisville is the size now when Charlotte got the Hornets (RIP Hornets 1987-2004). We miss you.
The reason I included Louisville is because it is a huge basketball town and produces tons of basketball talent, as does the state of Kentucky (as do many others as well). It's definitely an "outlier" though, but so is Green Bay for football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 11:53 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,262,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The reason I included Louisville is because it is a huge basketball town and produces tons of basketball talent, as does the state of Kentucky (as do many others as well). It's definitely an "outlier" though, but so is Green Bay for football.
I see your point, and its well taken.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 AM

744 posts, read 1,840,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Again, too close to Cleveland.

People forget that Columbus is larger than both Cincinnati and Cleveland. It is the largest city and metro in the state of Ohio. It is also the state capitol.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 AM

744 posts, read 1,840,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msb0810 View Post
Dallas needs their own team, leave the Rangers for Fort Worth

Dallas could certainly use a national league team. Fort Worth doesn't have the Rangers either. That team came to the metro for Dallas and is a Dallas team. Dallas could support two teams I think. The city size and metro is big enough.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:09 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,589,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
People forget that Columbus is larger than both Cincinnati and Cleveland. It is the largest city and metro in the state of Ohio. It is also the state capitol.
No it isn't. Cleveland and Cincinnati are both larger metros than Columbus. And Columbus would have trouble getting any of these sports teams because they are dominated by OSU.

Old 09-25-2010, 09:57 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,480,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Columbus has a greater city population, but its metro population is smaller than both Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 3,308,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
They almost got the Twins in the late 1990's! I remember, at the time, the Charlotte mega-region had like 10 million potential viewers to Mpls' 5 million. I bet those numbes are much different now, and most of the change would benefit Charlotte. I'm not sure if that situation were to come up again today with the same circumstances that the Twins wouldn't be in Charlotte...
Interesting, I didn't know that. I know the Chicago White Sox owner, Jerry Reinsdorf, around the late '80s once threatened to move the team to I believe Phoenix(if you know the city Reinsdorf was threatening to move to for sure, feel free to correct me, as I don't 100% remember this). That threat of course went nowhere, when New Comiskey/'The Cell'(although I don't think of it by the latter, and still think of it by it's old name) was opened in 1991.

And of course Phoenix has had an MLB team today since '98, the Arizona Diamondbacks. I always thought Charlotte, Indianapolis(they already have a very successful minor league team, and man did their stadium have a great view of downtown Indy), Columbus, OH, Sacramento or Portland might work, maybe Las Vegas as well since they don't have any pro teams. But of course with MLB's paranoia about gambling issues(and of course Pete Rose), I doubt any will ever get approval by MLB to relocate to Vegas.

Was just reading a thread yesterday(think it was in the C-D Bay Area/San Fran/Oakland one) about the possibility that the Oakland A's might move out of Oakland eventually, and I found the talk interesting that a site in San Jose was being considered, if a new stadium plan within Oakland doesn't work out. Some people on that thread mentioned Sacramento, and I could see how that city might be a possibility as well.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:11 PM

276 posts, read 474,263 times
The original title of this thread contains a possibly invalid assumption.

A more valid question might be "When MLB contracts, what teams will be eliminated?"

Old 09-28-2010, 03:48 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,321,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
The original title of this thread contains a possibly invalid assumption.

A more valid question might be "When MLB contracts, what teams will be eliminated?"
The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive, are they? Some of these teams may not fold altogether, but will, instead, seek a change of venue.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM

276 posts, read 474,263 times
They aren't mutually exclusive, but they've talked contraction off and on for 15 years.

Selig floated the idea that they dump (not move) the Twins and Marlins. Interesting that both teams had greater success than his family team, the Brewers.

More to the point - this country is headed in a downward direction. If there is ever a "rebound" it would take generations, not a few years. I wouldn't expect to see further expansion in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.