Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which US city should get a major league baseball team next?
San Antonio 16 25.00%
Portland 14 21.88%
Charlotte 11 17.19%
Memphis 2 3.13%
Nashville 9 14.06%
Oklahoma City 4 6.25%
New Orleans 8 12.50%
Indianapolis 12 18.75%
Columbus(Ohio) 5 7.81%
San Jose 8 12.50%
Salt Lake City 1 1.56%
Orlando 4 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,240 times

Advertisements

Well I think overall it will be only two more teams if they expand in the future since it might start getting out of hand with more than 32 teams in a league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Dallas could certainly use a national league team. Fort Worth doesn't have the Rangers either. That team came to the metro for Dallas and is a Dallas team. Dallas could support two teams I think. The city size and metro is big enough.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:21 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
^Dallas does not need another team. It really barely supports the Rangers as it is when they aren't in the running for a World Series like they are this year. Every time I see the Rangers on TV I notice not even half of the people are in the stands.

It should be Portland, San Antonio or Indy, and I think Portland should get it so the AL West have 5 teams like the rest of the divisions (except the NL Central, which needs to move Houston probably).

Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 AM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
^Dallas does not need another team. It really barely supports the Rangers as it is when they aren't in the running for a World Series like they are this year. Every time I see the Rangers on TV I notice not even half of the people are in the stands.

It should be Portland, San Antonio or Indy, and I think Portland should get it so the AL West have 5 teams like the rest of the divisions (except the NL Central, which needs to move Houston probably).
He's really suggesting that Dallas has a team of it's own. Remember, the Rangers aren't just for Dallas. They are the METROPLEX's team. There is a difference.

BTW, brajohns, how's that not so good Rangers team you wanna dump off doing?

And it seems that everyone's in agreement over San Antonio and Portland....

Old 10-23-2010, 01:21 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,788,977 times
Whether or not DFW has the market for two MLB teams is debatable but the Rangers are Texas Rangers so that pretty much rules out the possibility. If it were the Dallas Rangers than you could argue to put another team in Ft Worth but since they are not I dont think we are in need for another one as bad as some of the cities above.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:02 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Dallas could certainly use a national league team. Fort Worth doesn't have the Rangers either. That team came to the metro for Dallas and is a Dallas team. Dallas could support two teams I think. The city size and metro is big enough.
In a world dominated by media markets, no city will ever get two teams again. What there is is all there is going to be on that topic. Honestly, I don't think there are many cities deserving an expansion team, and if there were, I'd be more in favor of transferring a team from an under performing market. Tampa doesn't seem to generate enough of a fan base, for example. I think the Rays should go to Portland or some other AAA city.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:22 PM

614 posts, read 1,763,911 times
Why are people voting San Antonio. That would be a terrible city for a mlb franchise.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:12 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Whether or not DFW has the market for two MLB teams is debatable but the Rangers are Texas Rangers so that pretty much rules out the possibility. If it were the Dallas Rangers than you could argue to put another team in Ft Worth but since they are not I dont think we are in need for another one as bad as some of the cities above.
Well they are on the Fort Worth/Arlington side of the Metroplex so we wouldn't have to ask for one. There are just some people on the Dallas side who feel they should have a team to mark as Dallas.
If Cuban got hold of the team, that probably would have happend..... who knows?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I don't see how San Antonio is a terrible idea. The way I see it, if friggin' Oklahoma City can get an NBA franchise, why not put MLB in San Antonio?

Old 10-25-2010, 05:20 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
Pittsburgh deserves a major league baseball team.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:03 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
Selig floated the idea that they dump (not move) the Twins and Marlins. Interesting that both teams had greater success than his family team, the Brewers.
I had heard that as well. Despite attendance issues the Rays are still a profitable franchise so barring any change Rays ownership/MLB aren't going to make any noise, except possibly to get local government to help fund a new home venue across the bay in Tampa.

In terms of possible expansion one has to think that tradition-oriented MLB isn't going to realign. The only division without 5 teams is the AL West which includes the Texas Rangers, LA Angels, Oakland A's and the Seattle Mariners. Viable markets that would fit reasonably well within that territory are Portland, Salt Lake City and Oklahoma City. Portland's proximity to Seattle where attendance is already an issue would seemingly eliminate that market. Salt Lake City has proven loyal NBA attendance for umpteen years and possibility of a good city-to-city rivalry with the Angels (think Lakers-Jazz rivalry). Oklahoma City would offer up a similar situation in terms of fan base, though far less proven. An Oklahoma-Texas rivalry might be too good to pass for up MLB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.