U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:02 PM

910 posts, read 1,430,213 times

Advertisements

Like the thread title says, what cities would I be most happy in based on the info here? I tried using findmyspot.com and it came up with some good results, but I'm curious as what places people on here would name. I currently live just outside Cincinnati and commute to UC so I have a couple years before I can actually think about moving.

23 years old, single white male

Libertarian leaning politically

Cannot stand humid weather, I would highly prefer a cold snowy winter over humid summers. (as long as there are good wintersports and mountains around)

I plan on going into a medical related field (not certain yet, still exploring my options)

Location wise, I want to be in or within reasonable distance of a bigger city (1-2 hours tops) but I am ok with the city/town I would live in being smaller.

I love mountains, and would love to live near a major mountain range.

I want to avoid being a political outcast wherever I live (though thats unlikely to be an issue)

I can add more info later if needed, thanks in advance for any replys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 03:49 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,960,186 times
I'm thinking somewhere in Colorado would be a good fit for you. One of the cities along the I-25 corridor, specifically.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,139,440 times
For Minnesota, what about Rochester and the Mayo Clinic....also nearby Mt. LaCrosse, which is about a 600 foot verticle for skiing.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 PM

Would any California cities fit the bill?

Thanks for replies so far, I have though quite a bit about Colorado.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM

124 posts, read 282,177 times
My first thought for you was Denver, or perhaps Boulder or CO Springs if you want to be a little outside the major metro area.

My second thought is somewhere in central Pennsylvania...? You'd be close to mountains, and there are options for med school there too.

CA -- I can only speak for San Fran, San Jose, and LA -- none of those would have the cold snowy winters, however, and I don't think they'd fit what you're looking for on the political level. Just my $.02.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,021,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1987 View Post
Would any California cities fit the bill?

Thanks for replies so far, I have though quite a bit about Colorado.
San Diego

or Any where in Southern California between Huntington Beach, Ca and the Mexican Border to the west of the 5/405 freeway

Old 09-16-2010, 05:30 PM

I have also thought about Montana and Wyoming, but I'm worried those may be to remote for me in the long run (when it comes to raising a family) I really like NorCal up by places like Yosemite National Park. Beaches aren't a big deal to me, fwiw. Thanks again for suggestions.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 6,972,002 times
New Hampshire is definitely worth looking into. The Libertarian philosophy is pretty prevalent in the "Live free or die" state.

I'm not sure what your definition of a "major" city is, but almost everywhere in the southern half of the state is within 1-2 hours of Boston.

There are a number of good hospitals in the state if that's where you end up looking for work. Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in particular is a significant employer in the Upper Valley region. Pristine Hanover (where Dartmouth College is located) is a bit on the left side of the political spectrum, but the small towns to the east along Route 4 and 118 are more libertarian.

Another option is the Lakes Region, specifically any of the towns around Lake Winnipesaukee. Wolfeboro (a small resort town) and Laconia (a mid-sized former mill town) have hospitals, as does the attractive college town of Plymouth. All of these places are within easy access of the White Mountains.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:28 PM

NH is beautiful, its crossed my mind for sure. One California city that I found is Redding, any thoughts on that place?

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Another thing I want to add is the city MUST have a growing economy.

Any opinions on Washington state?

Last edited by jon1987; 09-17-2010 at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or