Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 11:36 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
...depending on what field and what cars you'd like to work on.
I agree with this. Location can depend on if you want to work for manufacturers, aftermarket, or racing, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:56 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
There's San Antonio they have the Toyota plant

Careers | Toyota Motor Manufacturing Texas

San Antonio Texas official vacation and visitor information. San Antonio Convention & Visitors Bureau. :: VisitSanAntonio.com

Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce

Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
depending on what area you want to concentrate on, there are three areas to look at;

southern california, los angeles area specifically

north carolina

michigan.

in southern california you have the hub of custom car builders, people like chip foose, boudi stroud, etc.

in north carolina you would be looking at all the race shop, petty enterprises, hendrick motorsports, RCR, etc.

in michigan you will get a good cross section of everything.

so think about what you are interested in doing, and then start sending out resumes to the various shops in those areas. understand that you WILL start at the bottom. for instance if you go to a race shop in north carolina, your first job will very likely be cleaning wheels, mopping the floors, and doing odd jobs until you have proven yourself to be competent. you might have an easier time in the los angeles area as you will be more likely to get an apprentice position.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:37 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,493 times
I suggest you joint iATN (international Automotive Technicians Network) www.iatn.net It has over 50,000 professional mechanics on line, that would be the best place to ask this question. The site has free basic membership.

Note: This site is for professional mechanics only, it is not open to the general public.

Curly

Old 09-17-2010, 12:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Well there's always Dallas, but you wanted somewhere it doesn't get too cold so that's why I mentioned Houston, which has very mild winters & a beach nearby. Its also a VERY diverse city & has a pretty decent nightlife. The cost of living is so low practically anyone could afford to live there. Houston has lots of automotive tuners & enthusiasts as well, but so does Dallas. Both areas have 1/4 mile & 1/8 mile tracks if you're into drag racing.

I figured houston.It's strange cause I had a dream about the city and I designed a super car...that pushed the boundaries in the automotive world....
It's just crazy you would mention that....

But I was also seeing if there where any other options..

Old 09-17-2010, 12:48 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
You'd have to know how to speak Spanish to live in SA. Not really, but still. They can hire a Mexican to assemble trucks for less than anyone else would be willing to work for.

They probably have a starting pay of about $8.00-$10.00 an hour tops.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Are you recieving an Engineering or Engineering tech degree? If you want to actually engineer components you won't be working in a garage. What exactly do you want to do?
Well I want to engineer vehicles (perfomance +luxury) and engineer performance parts.

I can fix cars now. I want to be versatile but engineering is really the main goal.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
I suggest you joint iATN (international Automotive Technicians Network) www.iatn.net It has over 50,000 professional mechanics on line, that would be the best place to ask this question. The site has free basic membership.

Note: This site is for professional mechanics only, it is not open to the general public.

Curly
Thankyou for the link

Old 09-17-2010, 02:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Possibly a dream gig for you would be to work for Dinan in CA.

Unfortunately CA has high cost of living, and MI has horrible winters, so you are left with NC and NASCAR if that's what you want to do.

Of course you could go back to school more or less full-time, and wrench for spending money weekends and evenings. The beauty of being a decent wrench is that your talent is in demand essentially everywhere.

There is an excellent hands-on engineering school in Oregon, OIT. Google them.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
If your dream is really to be an engineer, than you really need to go and get an engineering degree. All deference to Lincoln Tech and I'm not slamming you or them, but major outfits are hiring engineers with engineering degrees from major colleges. No one's going to hire an engineer with a degree from Lincoln Tech to design a car. Performance parts, maybe, if you can get in with the right folks. Even the major NASCAR shops are hiring MIT and CalTech people these days.

If you want the real brutal answer it's go back to the best engineering school you can get into and work in shops on the side to build contacts and earn money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.