U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 PM

2,632 posts, read 5,693,739 times

Advertisements

Well Im 22 years old. I will be graduating from Lincoln tech in april of next year for automotive technology.

My goal really is to become an automotive engineer..and specialize in tuning or performance....I want to be very flexible and have a wide variety of skills and be able to repair, modify or engineer car parts.

Well basically I want to move to a city that will help push me in those goals.
I will save 5,000 and drive out to wherever I move too.

I was really relocating to an area where the
(1. Being the most important - 7.Being the least important)

1. cost of living is really low
2. Strong Automotive industry (schools, jobs )
3. job economy is not a nightmare but surviving (aware of the recession), 4. I hate the winter
5. diverse populous
6. Good night life and very lively daytime (I hate quiet towns)
7. Lots of activities (Museums, clubs, shows, concerts)

Please advice!!!! All help would be appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 08:08 PM

353 posts, read 829,508 times
Try Nashville area...Nissan headquarters is in Franklin, plant in Smyrna, good schools (Nashville Auto Diesel College..), contrary to popular belief it is not all country music. Lots of entertainment to found..NFL, NHL, college sports...

Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 PM

7,946 posts, read 14,611,059 times
Charlotte.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,355,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Well Im 22 years old. I will be graduating from Lincoln tech in april of next year for automotive technology.

My goal really is to become an automotive engineer..and specialize in tuning or performance....I want to be very flexible and have a wide variety of skills and be able to repair, modify or engineer car parts.

Well basically I want to move to a city that will help push me in those goals.
I will save 5,000 and drive out to wherever I move too.

3. job economy is not a nightmare but surviving (aware of the recession), 4. I hate the winter
5. diverse populous

You're gold in Houston as long as you didn't go to UTI.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 AM

20,221 posts, read 28,296,741 times
Quote:

3. job economy is not a nightmare but surviving (aware of the recession),
I hate the winter
5. diverse populous

This might seem like off-the-wall but I'd recommend Chattanooga, Tennessee. Chattanooga, Tennessee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cost of living is very low. America's Best Bang-For-The-Buck Cities - Forbes.com

The automotive industry is strong, especially with the opening of the new Volkswagen plant next year. Factory on 'fast track,' VW says | Chattanooga Times Free Press

The Chattanooga area has a mild four season climate. Average Weather for Chattanooga, TN - Temperature and Precipitation

Chattanooga has a somewhat diverse population thanks to a large university (University of Tennessee-Chattanooga) UTC | The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and several headquartered companies, as well as many international companies with offices/distribution/manufacturing facilities. http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...a-Economy.html

The city has a visible young, progressive dynamic on the north side (called North Shore, or North Chattanooga). Welcome to NorthShore Chattanooga!

The city also has a viable arts/music scene. Arts | Chattanooga Pulse (http://chattanoogapulse.com/category/arts/ - broken link),

a decent restaurant scene http://www.chattanoogachow.com/

and nightlife Chattanooga Now 2010 | Nightlife has something for everyone | Chattanooga Times Free Press

Check it out and good luck!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM

2,632 posts, read 5,693,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
You're gold in Houston as long as you didn't go to UTI.
I was thinking about Houston any other suggestions..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:02 AM

910 posts, read 1,387,853 times
I second all the places named so far.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 AM

12,521 posts, read 22,355,299 times
Quote:
I was thinking about Houston any other suggestions..
Well there's always Dallas, but you wanted somewhere it doesn't get too cold so that's why I mentioned Houston, which has very mild winters & a beach nearby. Its also a VERY diverse city & has a pretty decent nightlife. The cost of living is so low practically anyone could afford to live there. Houston has lots of automotive tuners & enthusiasts as well, but so does Dallas. Both areas have 1/4 mile & 1/8 mile tracks if you're into drag racing.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:28 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,642,251 times
COBB has their main office in Utah, but I guess that might be a little bit more on the electronic/programming side of things.

There seems to be a decent scene in Dallas, TX, but your best bet would probably be to look through enthusiast forums, such as NASIOC, E46fanatics etc, depending on what field and what cars you'd like to work on.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 AM

3,306 posts, read 9,022,308 times
Are you recieving an Engineering or Engineering tech degree? If you want to actually engineer components you won't be working in a garage. What exactly do you want to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.