Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
SC:

MLB- Braves all the way. The farther inland you get, there's few fans of even the bandwagon teams.

NFL- Panthers/Steelers. The closer you get to Charlotte, the more Panthers fans you see, especially in the Upstate, but in Charleston, it's half and half Steelers/Panthers with a few Redskins, some Browns and a scattering of other teams.

NBA- None. Bobcats when you're 50 miles or closer to Charlotte. Here it's all bandwagon (Lakers, Heat, Celtics)

NHL- Hurricanes. You'd never see any Hurricanes clothes here, but after they won the Stanley Cup, their fan base grew. There's a few Thrashers and Sabres fans around.

College- I could write a whole page about it. Clemson and South Carolina are tied for #1 in our area, and are by far the most popular sports teams. Rock Hill has more Gamecocks, while Columbia is probably 75/25 *****. Greenville is probably 80/20 Clemson, but Spartanburg is almost split.

South Carolina baseball is probably the most popular team, as momentum for the whole program is way up. College baseball fills 10,000 seat stadiums here in South Carolina, with four or five competitive programs.

Depending on where you are in the state, the local FCS programs have big followings. The Citadel has a big one in Charleston, S.C. State probably owns most of the Orangeburg area, Coastal is important in Myrtle Beach, Furman is huge in the Greenville area, and others are growing, but none of them have a state-wide fan base. Only The Citadel has a state-wide radio network.

SC is a very interesting state to look at, being a border state between Atlanta and Charlotte's teams.
Isn't it also becoming interesting as to starting to have larger numbers of transplants arrive instate and what that does in terms of fan supports from where they came from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:46 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
States that I know

PA - Steelers win it..From Western PA - To Central - Northeastern..hell the Steelers are 2nd fav team of Philadelphia

NJ - Giants country - Eagles runners up (though they Dominate South Jersey)

NY - I still say Giants over Jets but not by much and both dominate the Bills...
As much as I hate to admit it, The steelers are the 2nd favorite team in Baltimore.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:57 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,100,962 times
West Virginia u tell me----lol

Old 09-20-2010, 02:02 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Miami Dolphins in Florida? You have got to be kidding me. I would say currently either Miami heat or the Tampa Bay Rays. Historically, its a toss up between FSU and UF football.
Miami heat isn't even more like than the Dolphins in South Florida. The Rays? I don't think they are above the Dolphins as far as popularity. Remember, this isn't about success. But popularity and neither of those two teams touch the Miami Dolphins.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM

25 posts, read 36,448 times
Yankees. Easily.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:12 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
It's definitely the Volunteers in TN. Titans are mere upstarts.

The Volunteers even have their own Navy. It is a sight to behold.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:29 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Miami heat isn't even more like than the Dolphins in South Florida. The Rays? I don't think they are above the Dolphins as far as popularity. Remember, this isn't about success. But popularity and neither of those two teams touch the Miami Dolphins.
The OP says nothing about popularity. Its funny because the OP says it IS about success, but than you say it isn't . But, if that is how you want to interpret "success", then fine, but you would still be wrong. The Florida Gators popularity is way larger than the Dolphins. I see Gator stuff everywhere I go in Florida. I can't tell you the last time I saw a Dolphins decal.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:32 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
The OP says nothing about popularity. Its funny because the OP says it IS about success, but than you say it isn't . But, if that is how you want to interpret "success", then fine, but you would still be wrong. The Florida Gators popularity is way larger than the Dolphins. I see Gator stuff everywhere I go in Florida. I can't tell you the last time I saw a Dolphins decal.
YES, I DID!

I've said this list is based on POPULARITY at least twice now.

And there really aren't that many successful teams other than the Dolphins, Florida, FSU, and Miami U.

I mean, ya got the Buccaneers who have only one A world title.
You have the Heat who have only one A world title, as well.
And everyone else has maybe won a few division or conference titles, but that's it. Not extremely successful if ya ask me...

Besides, If this list was about success, why would I have the Red Sox over the Celtics? Would I have the Titans over the Tennessee Vols? Would I have the Utah Jazz over BYU?

... NO! It's about popularity, people....

Old 09-21-2010, 04:37 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
YES, I DID!

I've said this list is based on POPULARITY at least twice now.

And there really aren't that many successful teams other than the Dolphins, Florida, FSU, and Miami U.

I mean, ya got the Buccaneers who have only one A world title.
You have the Heat who have only one A world title, as well.
And everyone else has maybe won a few division or conference titles, but that's it. Not extremely successful if ya ask me...

Besides, If this list was about success, why would I have the Red Sox over the Celtics? Would I have the Titans over the Tennessee Vols? Would I have the Utah Jazz over BYU?

... NO! It's about popularity, people....
My mistake. Yes you did. I didn't reaslize you were the OP . I posted that last night and was very tired at the time.

I still think I'm right about U of Florida though. If it was about success, I should have mentioned The Tampa Bay Storm AFL. They have won the most AFL Championships with 5 or 6, I can't remember.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Didn't consider the Arena Leauge.... but then again, the AFL isn't as popular as the Big Four.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.