U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:40 AM

86 posts, read 145,206 times

Advertisements

What is Halloween like in your area?

For me, we live in the rural area of N.E. Florida so no trick or treaters , no fun Halloween decorations, so on and on. This is something I have come to deeply miss. We "go in to town" for trunk or treat or go over to my brothers area for the night. It seemed to suck the fun and fantasy of the night out of it for me.

So in light of things and my need to be nosy... What is Halloween like in your area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:35 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,159,527 times
Swamped with kids and families out trick or treating, A lot of the houses will have decorations up, and even teen-agers will get dressed up and go out trick-or-treating, which I have to say, I had not seen in many years while living in the Northeast. We will get about 400 kids at our house on Halloween all dressed up and having fun.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
Here's a story involving me as boy in a small town in the Plains and Halloween.

We came to the little town and Dad built a swing-set in our backyard. Several of our neighbors seemed to think this was odd or disapprove and soon we realized why. See Halloween in this little town was the magical day where drunken teenagers would set fires and destroy anything in people's lawn. So I think on our first or second Halloween our swing-set was destroyed. Also there were people running on top of buildings and I think peeing in the streets.

Later the town calmed down a bit and it became costume parties at the school. Still the horror of Halloween, though it's long gone, has stuck with me and I think colored my view of this little town.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:28 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,241,298 times
Decorations up, carved pumpkins at the front door, kids trick or treating, etc. The nights are usually beginning to get cool and crisp (depending on the year).
I love Halloween; people around my neighborhood really get into the spirit of the season at that time of the year.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:35 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
Typical Halloween setup around me, less kids trick-or-treating than one would expect though. Very few come to our place because we live in an apartment complex, and we take our kids to an adjacent single-family home neighborhood.

Last year was fun, it was about 30F with about 6" of snow on the ground.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:07 AM

4,186 posts, read 10,300,314 times
In Orlando homes are decorated, kids trick or treating everywhere, haunted houses, halloween parties, pumpkin pathches, carnivals, stores full of Halloween merchandise and decorations, some malls have trick or treating for the kids, and anyone who is 13 and up goes or atleast wants to go to Universals Halloween Horror nights which is a month long event and is one of the largest and most impressive Halloween scare event in the world..

Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,715,222 times
Our town and most in the area have trick-or-treating on a separate night, usually the Thursday before Halloween. I've never heard a reasonable explanation for this practice.

We get very few kids because we live down a steep unlit dead-end street. The flat circle of streets on top get a lot more kids on trick-or-treat night.

Our town also has a Halloween parade on another night before Halloween. Local fire companies, marching bands, local organizations, etc. have floats. Runners go alongside the floats by the curb, and hand candy out to kids along the route. Much but not all of the candy the runners hand out is donated by a large local company with 3 candy factories in the area.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,961,450 times
I've havn't experienced a Halloween here yet, but the city I lived in before specialized in Hallowieen. They'd have this "Halloween" street that would dec up, AND I MEAN DEC UP according to theme. You'd have one house that would be "Zombie prom" and the next would be "Alice in Wonderland"-
Lots of people would crowd those streets a few weeks before Halloween, news reporters and all.
Trick or treaters were all over the place in the city. Mischief night gets crazy.

This was in Hackensack NJ.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 PM

619 posts, read 1,507,738 times
The neighborhoods are over run with trick or treaters and everyone having a good time. I have seen teenagers up to 17yrs old still trick or treating.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:32 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,419,238 times
I miss the old days too, we always asked the little buggers to do a trick first and then we'd give them a treat, a popcorn ball, candy apple or a nickel.
These days, we park the car in the back yard, remove all of our lawn decorations, make sure the garden hose hasn't been left out for someone to put through
the basement window before turning on the outside spigot. Once we're safely in the house, we lock the doors, pull down the shades and turn the lights off.
While Ma takes the 44 magnum, I usually go with the 12 ga. Mossberg Pump and we sit together in our rocking chairs, there in the dark, talking softly about all
of the change that we've seen in America, until the sun comes up. Seems like nothing is like it used to be, anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.