U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:20 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,468,004 times

Advertisements

Chicago and its neverending suburbs, that would be a good place to check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 04:39 PM

51,841 posts, read 29,924,481 times
Any one of the states would be an ideal place to start your career in the IT industry. My suggestion would be to start in a small city that's not in a large metro area just to get your foot in the door. Work there for 5 years, then you'll be able to get into companies in large metro areas.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:09 AM

62 posts, read 118,039 times
Default Reply

Well, Texas is one of my top places to go, but I was worried about the high competition there, because of all those top notch colleges that they have. I would like to find a place if possible, where I would have a better chance of finding something, with the little experience that I have.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,461,799 times
Yes... it may help to move here first then look for a job because of the competition. But you have your associate's, so it's worth a shot. Since you're not finished with college, why don't you move to Texas and get your bachelor's? Then you'll be in good shape to get recruited by a good company.

Dallas has the most IT jobs, but contrary to popular belief, Houston has far more IT jobs than Austin and the pay's usually better.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:24 PM

62 posts, read 118,039 times
Default Thanks Houstoner

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't know that, because on some websites, they talk a lot more about Austin, than the other big cities in Texas. I think that you are right, and that in the long run, I will just need to save up, and then move there. I am really in debt now, because of my online school. But I want to go back and get my Bachelors. Can you tell me about the cheapest places to rent out there? And prices with schooling. I think that Texas will definetely give me more chances with entry level IT jobs, than Louisiana will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or