Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:51 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,399 times

Advertisements

I was wondering which states have started to seem more appealing since you started coming onto this website. I like to look at the city profiles and go onto the forums. I have had a much increased interest in many cities because of this site that is for sure!

Anyway, I use to have a very, very negative image of Texas before coming to this website then I started looking at the profiles and forums and Texas seems more and more appealing. It really seems like a very nice place and the midwest has the humidity also whats 5 extra degrees when they have so much more going on in Texas and so many different cities to explore. Especially Austin thats one city I didnt have an interest in until I started reading up on it and the same for Houston. I still think Dallas sounds rather unappealing for some reason and San Antonio just seems like a big, big suburban like city.

Other states and cities I have devoloped an interest in since coming here...
Georgia....Specifically Atlanta.
South Carolina...Greenville (This is one city that sounds very, very interesting and promising especially that downtown of theirs)
Columbia, Missouri
Birmingham, Alabama: I wouldnt want to live in Birmingham personally, but it just seems like in interesting city with an interesting way of life compared to the midwest
Northern Florida cities

Scranton, PA....I enjoy looking at all those Scranton photo threads its amazing how its not growing much, much faster then it currently is. They have some great architecture there. They also have a very devoloped downtown for a city with such a small population, alot of cities with population's of Scranton's do not have downtown's anywhere close to that impressive on that scale. Wilkes-Barre, PA on the other hand seemed sort of ehhh, doesnt look bad just seems like a needs-a bit of work city by the photo threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 06:24 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
Pennsylvania. I've never been, but the pictures rainrock posted of Philadelphia made me curious about it enough to consider it a city I may live in. I prefer large cities, and it seems to fit that bill, plus it's fallen on some most underrated city lists and the Men's Fitness fattest city list, like my hometown, so I figure I should check it out sometime. I'd love to see the tourist attractions and go off the beaten path. Pittsburgh too, and maybe Scranton-Wilkes Barre while I'm there. However, I then read that Philadelphia is resistant to change, so not entirely sure about it or what that meant. Curiosity definitely piqued!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:47 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,395 times
Hey, this is a great question. I'm surprised nobody's asked before.

I think the opposite would also be a good question: what places look less inviting after reading about them . . . So I'll answer both.

On the plus side, parts of Iowa and Ohio, as well as Pittsburgh look more interesting. Like you, I have been amazed by the photo tours of NE Pennsylvania. They are real inviting, but having actually had a lot of experience with the area, I am somewhat immune to them

Now, there is some bias here because there are some places (mostly in the south) that I have absolutely zero interest in no matter what, so for example I've never even looked at the Alabama or Louisiana sites. Even if they said both places made the Garden of Eden look like a crack house, I wouldn't know or care.

As for places that had some initial appeal but seem somewhat less attractive after scanning the sites, I'd probably say Maine (sounds like the economy sucks); Indiana (Indianapolis area, which is where I was interested in, seems to be either questionable urban or bland suburban); and parts of Colorado and Washington (beautiful areas with lots of amenities, but insane housing costs).

Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
the places i haven't been to are places that are rarely mentioned, and when they are, there's nothing said that makes me want to jump on the *next* plane. this board is overrun with posts about NE PA, Houston (and Texas in general), Phoenix, NC, Chicago, NYC, Atlanta - all places i've spent time in.

anyway, my goal is to get to every state, so i really don't need a cheerleader since i'll make it there eventually. i go to New Mexico in a few weeks.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:06 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,681,773 times
The California forum here definitely make that state seem less appealing, in a whole lot of ways. I haven't been out there in years... sounds like it's taken a turn for the worse since my last visit.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 AM

252 posts, read 710,141 times
I'd have to say I've learned a lot about my new adopted state (Tennessee) and I wish I could live in eastern Tennessee rather than western Tennessee (cooler, I miss mountains and I would be closer to Maine - my home state).

Old 06-29-2007, 08:32 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
The California forum here definitely make that state seem less appealing, in a whole lot of ways. I haven't been out there in years... sounds like it's taken a turn for the worse since my last visit.
i sincerely believe with the exception of the NC (Charlotte) forum (which is for the most part a creepy lovefest, lol), most boards make their state look unappealing and like hell on earth. it's simply because internet forums makes bitching and moaning anonymous, and easy. trolling is fun for many!

also, everyone has gripes about where they live, and those "stereotypical" traits get magnified on these board. In Cali it's illegals, traffic, housing prices, and fakeness. NY is cost of living, police state. NJ is high taxes, high housing costs, and corrupt government. FL is the housing bust and taxes. There's truth to these stereotypes, but it certainly is not the case everywhere you go in each of these places, but it's more fun to complain!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
Default Louisville, KY

Before reading these forums, I knew nothing about Louisville but it sounds like it's an up and coming city.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:00 AM

351 posts, read 1,068,900 times
Quote:
Scranton, PA....I enjoy looking at all those Scranton photo threads its amazing how its not growing much, much faster then it currently is. They have some great architecture there. They also have a very devoloped downtown for a city with such a small population, alot of cities with population's of Scranton's do not have downtown's anywhere close to that impressive on that scale. Wilkes-Barre, PA on the other hand seemed sort of ehhh, doesnt look bad just seems like a needs-a bit of work city by the photo threads.
Are you kidding me? Not too many people want to move to a ran down blue collar town that saw it's best days 30 years ago(not saying much). Not to mention it's in the forgotten area of PA that amounts to a cultural wasteland.
The Scranton metro area hasn't seen a population gain in so many years they wouldn't know what growth is. Scranton-Wilkes-Barre PA has been suffering through a steady poplulation decline for the last 30 years and will continue to do so. All the factories have/are closing down and they can't replace those jobs with white collar jobs fast enough. There aren't and will never be too many folks looking to move to the Scranton area. Proofs in the pudding, just look up their population stats.

Scranton PA Sucks /60216/

Pennsylvania Sucks /40623/

Last edited by carolinadreamin'; 06-29-2007 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-29-2007, 10:27 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
anyway, my goal is to get to every state, so i really don't need a cheerleader since i'll make it there eventually. i go to New Mexico in a few weeks.
My goal, too! I've made it to 30-something so far. New Mexico is one of my favorites!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.