Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of "transplants?"
They are the scum of the earth 1 2.86%
I don't like them at all -- they should go back to where they came from 0 0%
Some of them are OK -- but they should leave 0 0%
Some are OK, but my city would be better without them 1 2.86%
I'm fine with them, as long as they assimilate 15 42.86%
I'm fine with them. They don't have to assimilate 7 20.00%
I like transplants 11 31.43%
My city doesn't have any transplants 0 0%
Other 7 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

Transplants being defined as people who moved to your city as adults, usually for work-related reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 08:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I voted "Other". Transplants are a necessary step for a city to grow and evolve. They don't need to assimilate 100% but they do need to make an effort and try to blend in a little bit while at the same time offer something new and better, giving a city a more unique blend of flavors.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Transplants are fine as long as they trickle in slowly enough to assimilate, they problem is when too many flood an area at one time. Unfortunately many of them get to their new homes and then start complaining about the food, the accents, the locals being "slow", the laws, etc.

I notice many transplants also get offended when the locals don't agree with their ways from "back home". Just remember, you weren't asked to move to the new place, you made that decision on your own.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM

65 posts, read 75,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover;
Transplants are fine as long as they trickle in slowly enough to assimilate, they problem is when too many flood an area at one time. Unfortunately many of them get to their new homes and then start complaining about the food, the accents, the locals being "slow", the laws, etc.

I notice many transplants also get offended when the locals don't agree with their ways from "back home". Just remember, you weren't asked to move to the new place, you made that decision on your own.
Very true!

Old 09-22-2010, 11:51 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
As long as they pay their taxes, they're ok with me.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:25 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
I in general like humans no matter where they came from and look like. Nor could I care. My best friend ever was a transplant himself. However, I do care if you are a obnoxious moron, whether you're a local or a transplant. Not all transplants are the same, so you can't give a blanket statement about them all.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I am a transplant. Most people in metro Denver are, especially adults over ~40.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 PM

144 posts, read 270,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

I agree.

Most of the transplants to the Huntsville, AL area do not fit that mold, but the ones that do tend to give the good transplants a bad name. You just have to forget about the jerky ones and not let that cloud your opinion.

However, my parents left west Georgia because they couldn't handle the influx of newcomers. Their home areas are becoming suburbs of metro Atlanta and they could no longer afford to live there. It was them with the "weird" accent now. Not only that, "home" was not home anymore.

I am for slow, manageable growth.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:01 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Moving around from city to city (or small town to city, or increasingly city to small town) or state to state is the American way; it's part of our shared American history. I have no problem with "transplants." Then again, I've moved a lot myself. Places evolve. I'm more concerned about people who dig their heels in and don't want to address the reality of change, whether good or bad. I think it's healthy for communities to have a blend of people who have been around long enough to have seen how a neighborhood or city evolved and who understand its historical and cultural context, but also think it's healthy to have new people coming in with fresh perspectives.

I do think that in some place, though, people who are new to town are invested enough in being part of the community; I don't think that's a "transplant" specific problem, though. (And for what it's worth, one study showed that transplants were actually more likely to be involved in the community than people who were from a place originally.)

Old 09-23-2010, 11:37 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
(And for what it's worth, one study showed that transplants were actually more likely to be involved in the community than people who were from a place originally.)
I've actually noticed this as well. You have to think in many cases, a transplant is moving there because they WANT to be there, they want to contribute and soak up all the history. Now, I am sure many locals do the same thing, but I have run into far too many locals in cities who didn't know their own city history, had not been to key places, and generally didn't recognize anything else in the U.S. or why their own city was important. I certainly won't act like several cities are full with creativity, intellectual flair and want to make the place better... far from it. I have been in contact with plenty of close minded locals and some of them are pretty crappy people. Several of the volunteer groups I have been involved with were predominantly comprised of transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.