Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times

Advertisements

I define a "showcase" suburb as having most, if not all, of the following attributes:

1. It's well-established. It hasn't just recently been thrown up on the metro fringe, and it's maintained its health for a reasonably long period of time.

2. It's upper-middle class. It's not too exclusive, but it does have money, and is very appealing and well-kept.

3. It has a population of at least 20,000. It has to be reasonably dense, have a critical mass of people, and have some level of ambiance to it, as opposed to being some quiet village or hamlet.

4. It has a defined and vibrant central business district. Bonus points if it's dense, walkable, and not too overloaded with chain stores (although some are acceptable).

5. It has good transit connections. You should be able to get into the city easily both by car and by train/bus.

6. Only ONE suburb, please. Which ONE best fits this description?

So, using this criteria, which is your city's showcase suburb? For Pittsburgh, I'd have to say its showcase suburb is Mt. Lebanon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 04:36 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
I live in the Raleigh Durham area. I'd say Cary is the showcase suburb down here.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 AM

93,160 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Perhaps DeWitt, based on that criteria: DeWitt, NY - Google Maps
http://www.townofdewitt.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeWitt,_New_York

Some might say the Fayetteville-Manlius area, but it is an area centered around 2 villages that are in the same town(township) and share a school district.
http://www.townofmanlius.org/
http://manliusvillage.org/
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manlius_(town),_New_York

Old 09-22-2010, 07:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Urgh...I don't know. I can think of several that fit that criteria right off the bat.
I'd say Plano (we're in DFW), but it's a city of over 300,000 that houses several major corporate headquarters, so it's more like a city of its own (with really swanky parts and not-so-swanky parts). It's well-established and 20 minutes from downtown Dallas.
Maybe Southlake, but it's not that 'established' an area, though parts of it are older.

Lakewood? Isn't that part of Dallas proper, though?

You got me. I just asked around at work and there is no consensus.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,288 times
all the criteria all fits my town to a T, but I'll give it to Newton because they actually have the T.

Last edited by TheWereRabbit; 09-22-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,117 times
Scottsdale is Phoenix's showcase suburb.

- Home to the most exclusive stores in the Phoenix area
- Although Scottsdale comes off as being the wealthiest area in the Phoenix area, Paradise Valley, Chandler, and Litchfield Park have higher median incomes.
- Home to a number of large events (Barrett Jackson auto show, golf tournaments)
- Has a huge reputation for vanity (most plastic surgeons per capita of any city in the country) and the nouveau riche (30,000 dollar millionaires).
- World class resorts.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
EXPLORING AMERICA'S RICHEST ZIP CODES

article on the wealthiest areas in America

Old 09-22-2010, 09:43 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
First of all, I can definitely identify a premier suburb for both of my metros. But, I won't be following your carefully laid out requirements as much as I wouldn't expect you to follow my carefully laid out definition.

For Miami, I'd say Coral Gables is the Showcase suburb. Coral Gables is old money chic. It houses the University of Miami, the Biltmore Hotel, Miracle Mile shopping district and the whole place exudes old Miami charm with its tree lined streets and beautiful homes.
For Raleigh, I agree with Mackinac81, it's Cary. Cary is very well off, highly educated, home to the world's largest privately held software company, the metro's most luxurious hotel and spa (The Umstead) and various country club developments. Though it's fairly "new" by NE standards, there is a charming little downtown. At 140,000 people, Cary is the largest "town" and suburb in the Carolinas. In fact, it's actually larger than any municipality in neighborinig South Carolina and has more population density within its municpal boundaries than Charlotte.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:04 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,201 times
Although there are weathier areas in the Cleveland metro, my vote would go to Shaker Hts--population 30,000.

Most of the houses were built 1920's. It has amazing architecture, schools, and two light-rail lines connecting it to Downtown.

http://photos1.zillow.com/is/image/i0/i2/i4956/ISqw6adbti79nn.jpg?op_sharpen=1&qlt=90&hei=234&wid =316 (broken link)

Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Although there are weathier areas in the Cleveland metro, my vote would go to Shaker Hts:

Most of the houses were built 1920's. It has amazing architecture, schools, and two light-rail lines connecting it to Downtown.

Oh, WoW! I love this posting, Costello ... great pics of one of Americas premiere suburbs.

Cleveland has a large market of opulent suburbs ... Hunting Valley, Moreland Hills, Waite Hill, Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, Cleveland Heights, Bay Village, just to name a few ... haha

Shaker Heights would definitely fit the bill for the topic of what this thread was designed for though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.