U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,203,259 times

Advertisements

This is what I'd suggest. Take a look at this page: Welcome to the Irish Apostolate USA . It has a list of all of the Irish immigration centers in the USA. Focus in on the neighborhoods where these centers are, as this is where most of the recent Irish immigrants live. I actually live in a neighborhood in NYC with one of these centers as there are lots of Irish people living here (my family is ethnically Irish, but no one's come from over there for nearly 100 years). At first you might think that you don't want to be around all Irish people, but you have to realize that the cultures are different, in some ways significantly. So it might be wise to check out one of these neighborhoods for a couple of years, and then move on once you have become acclimated to American society. Otherwise you're going to be in for some culture shock.

If you don't like rain, stay away from the Northewest, especially Seattle. Florida is nice, but it rains there a lot (only in bursts though) and they have hurricaines. Anything in the Northeast has pretty cold Winters (DC, Philly, NYC, Boston). Chicago is really cold during the winter.

California probably has the best weather in the country, but they have their own problems. Earthquakes and lots of illegal-mexicans running around there not speaking English. Los Angeles is the epitome of the illegal invasion. San Diego isn't nearly as bad and is more of a normal town. San Francisco is nice, with cooler weather than Southern California, but the prices are slightly higher for real estate and rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM

147 posts, read 633,674 times
i think boston will do you good or even florida

Old 07-09-2007, 02:08 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,013,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Firstly, I would like to go against what Sunnydee said about EVERY AMERICAN CITY. I don't know about Cincinnati, but there are plenty of urban cities in this country that are perfectly safe. That statement is rediculous.

I'm sorry I upset the poster above, but I stick with my original statement. I would not live in a major American city. The suburbs are much safer than the urban core, that's one of the reasons families have moved to the suburbs in vast numbers. Also suburban schools are usually better than inner city schools and there's more green space. I believe if you do a little research you will find out for yourself that this is true.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:24 PM

147 posts, read 633,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I'm sorry I upset the poster above, but I stick with my original statement. I would not live in a major American city. The suburbs are much safer than the urban core, that's one of the reasons families have moved to the suburbs in vast numbers. Also suburban schools are usually better than inner city schools and there's more green space. I believe if you do a little research you will find out for yourself that this is true.
your right

Old 07-09-2007, 02:30 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,344 times
GENERALLY, you are right. However, that statement is way to broad to have merit. Suburbs are genrally safer, but if this person wants to live in the city, they can do a little homework and find perfectly good areas. It would be wrong to deter someone from finding what they want in this country so some general axiom can be upheld.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,140,861 times
Default Where to go.....

I was reading your posting and see that weather is a big issue.
So to not have snowing, cold winters you should go to at least from Virgina and South of there. Florida can get humid and very, hot in the summertime. I lived there for awhile. I don't mind it, but many do. Their insurance because of the hurricanes is high. I lived in New Jersey for over 20 years and it is getting a bit crowded and the costs are higher. Your home would be very costly there, and your home insurance also car insurance. New York would be about the same. There are areas in New York State for cheaper housing, but the weather would be colder and damper.
I live in Pa now........but, again you may not like the winters. So I won't lead you to this state even though I love it.
I really feel a place like South Carolina would suit your weather and house needs. I go there for three months in the winter. There you will have little if no snow........you can golf all winter.....and get outside to hike or walk on the beaches or boardwalks. Thus, the kind of weather you are asking us about. You won't find the spiders and bugs you said your children are afraid of. Not of the" types "you might find in AZ anyway.......
So for your good all year long weather ( used my winter coat once in Myrtle Beach).......I'd say South Carolina.
Now with your postal job, that should carry your medical insurance.
Being as there are postal jobs everywhere, you are one lucky fellow....
Your wife has a valuable job, good for any area of the US.
What I do in Myrtle Beach is take a plane to Atlanta which will go everywhere and anywhere. Same if taking a plane out of Wilmington , NC instead of the Myrtle Airport........go into Atlanta and from there. Flights all over.
Upcoming towns are Socastee, Greenville, Summerville.......last two being above Charleston........Socastee being nearer to Myrtle Beach. Growing areas.
Good house prices. Lower taxes on homes. Socastee has good schools and lots of fun things around for the kids.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,203,259 times
Yeah but how many Catholic people are there in South Carolina? It has to be under 5% of the population, other 90-95% are Protestant. Thats definitely something to consider if the guy is Irish-Catholic. The only really Catholic areas of the South are New Orleans (badly beaten up by Katrina) and South Florida. There are other little pockets in some coastal areas of the South but thats about it.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,651,948 times
The Raleigh area of North Carolina is booming right now, and for your price range you would do very well. I can't speak for the market there in particular, but dental hygenists seem to be in demand everywhere. The weather is nice and mild, all 4 seasons but no real extremes. You'd be perhaps 4 -5 hours from the D.C. airport. The area is reasonably safe and Raleigh itself is a rather small city.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 14,091 times
Hi Guys.
Thanks again for all your tips and advice, I`m trying to take it all in. I have family in Jacksonville, Florida and Montgomery, Alabama but don`t know much about these places but maybe they might be a good place to start??
I went onto Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! (thanks Minnehahapolitan) and this is what they said was my top 10:
1) Greenville, South Carolina
2) Tulsa, Oklahoma
3) Clarksville, Tennessee
4) Chattanooga, Tennessee
5) Jackson, Mississippi
6) Athens, Georgia
7)Tuscaloosa, Alabama
8) Johnson City-Kingsport, Tennessee
9) Bryan- College Station, Texas
10) Knoxville, Kentucky

Any thoughts on these??
Keep in touch guys,
Regards,
Mark.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:27 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,940,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Yeah but how many Catholic people are there in South Carolina? It has to be under 5% of the population, other 90-95% are Protestant. Thats definitely something to consider if the guy is Irish-Catholic. The only really Catholic areas of the South are New Orleans (badly beaten up by Katrina) and South Florida. There are other little pockets in some coastal areas of the South but thats about it.
And Mobile (French, some Irish). And a good bit of Birmingham, Ala. (Italian influence) and quite a bit of Mississippi, from Jackson south. Not to mention vast portions of the Southwest, thanks to the original Spanish/Mexican influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.