U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 06:42 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,167,875 times

Advertisements

I would suggest the southeast. Many here have assumed you are catholic but unless you say so it wont factor into what I say. The whole of the south has mild winters and doesnt have too much rain. If you are looking for a suburban area outside of a major city I would recommend Houston, Atlanta (although prices are a bit high), Charlotte, Norfolk-Virginia Beach. They all have nice family friendly suburbs that are affordable.

However, if you dont have to live outside a major city check out: Richmond, VA, Charleston, SC, Raleigh, NC, Jacksonville, FL. I take it being close to other irish immigrants isn't important to you because the dominant immigrant group is from latin america

welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 14,091 times
Hello.
Thanks for the posts.
Just to mention from reading the last few posts that we are Catholic but not very practicing ones!!!
It wouldn`t be a priority to settle where other Irish immigrants are but it would be nice to hear a familiar accent now and then.

Take care,
Mark.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:13 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,344 times
I hate to be nosey, but I feel compelled to ask if you tend to be more liberal or conservative. Tulsa, and alot of places on that list, are not a very liberal places. Just a heads' up. Anyways, It sounds like you are looking for a medium-sized southern town. Places like Charleston, Savannah, Knoxville, Raleigh, Chattanooga, Columbia, Greenville, Asheville, Jackson, Birmingham, Mobile. Or a good college town Athens, Ga., Charlottesville, Oxford, Miss. Tuscaloosa, et. cetera. I won't pretend to know much about the South. Hopefully some Southerners can jump in and highlight this list, answer questions, start a debate. its out of my hands from here. The best of luck to you in America.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,361,100 times
That's a good point Minnehahapolitan. An area's political culture may or may not be important to you, but if it is, then indeed all of these cities tread pretty conservative, as do most small-ish cities in the South. So in a way, if you're looking for a liberal city, it's better in the sense that it will further narrow down your choices. Athens and Asheville are two mid-sized cities that lean pretty liberal.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 PM

10 posts, read 7,659 times
Default Have you looked at Colorado?

Hi There,

I have lived in many different areas in the US. I lived on the East Coast and then in Florida. I moved to Florida, Texas and California and every time I ended up moving back to Colorado. The winters are truly mild, most of the snow stays in the Mountains minus a couple storms a year that we see in the winter months. Summer is great, not too much rain, not too much snow, not too hot, beautiful Mountains, friendly people, great school systems. Let me know if you would like me to send you any links on the local areas here. The housing market here is great for buyers because of the abundance of foreclosures in our State. It is not hard to find a job here and there are plenty of cozy suburbs where you could live close to work. I know a couple Dentists and could see if they are looking for Dental Hygenists if you would like?

Jacqueline

Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,253,878 times
Mark
We are from Cork and live on Long Island, NY. Yes, it is expensive here but it is close to JFK (1 hour), near to Manhatten (again an hour), not tons of irish here, but enough. The house next door to me is for sale for about $460,000 ; its 2400 sq ft, 2/3 acre and only 5 years old.
As for jobs etc ; there are plenty of jobs if you look hard enough. Make sure to try to get one with health ins esp if you have kids. The school district isnt great ; but our kids go to Catholic (costs $550 per month for two). We get snow, heat and the spring and fall are wonderful.

By the way ; we visit Dublin every year ; brother lives in skerries.

Good luck. Its a wonderful thing to do. We are here 20 years and love everything about the USA.
d

Old 07-12-2007, 01:47 PM

5 posts, read 14,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I hate to be nosey, but I feel compelled to ask if you tend to be more liberal or conservative. Tulsa, and alot of places on that list, are not a very liberal places. Just a heads' up. Anyways, It sounds like you are looking for a medium-sized southern town. Places like Charleston, Savannah, Knoxville, Raleigh, Chattanooga, Columbia, Greenville, Asheville, Jackson, Birmingham, Mobile. Or a good college town Athens, Ga., Charlottesville, Oxford, Miss. Tuscaloosa, et. cetera. I won't pretend to know much about the South. Hopefully some Southerners can jump in and highlight this list, answer questions, start a debate. its out of my hands from here. The best of luck to you in America.
I would say we`re about 50/50 or maybe more conservative than i think. Is that a major decision to take onboard before we come over?
Thanks again for all your posts and to all the Irish people that have posted, it`s great to read how other Irish families are doing and where they`re located.
Jacqueline, Colorada sounds wonderfull. I read somewhere that Fort Collins was voted the best place to live in the US??
Feel free to send me any info you have about Colorado, thanks.
Bye for now,
Mark.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:20 PM

606 posts, read 2,777,812 times
move to Detroit, corktown, heavily Irish. housing is around 250k for a two bedroom. not too many jobs though.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:56 PM

8 posts, read 26,720 times
Consider NorthEast Texas. The land is lush, wooded, with rolling hills. The people are good as gold. If you want access to a large city, go east of Dallas. Tyler is a good sized city. Athens is a nice small city. You can get a VERY nice house on acreage for $400,000 in these areas.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 PM

8 posts, read 26,720 times
One more thing about east Texas. The weather is great. Maybe one freeze a winter. Not as hot as west Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.