U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:19 AM

202 posts, read 199,277 times

Advertisements

I've noticed, through spending time in Ireland, that a great many Irish who have spent time in the United States tend to not get past NY/Boston, unless it's to go to Disneyworld. When I would explain that I was from Chicago, I got a lot of "That's a bit past Boston, right?" There's a lot in the U.S. that might meet your needs that aren't traditionally Irish outposts like NY and Boston. If you're wanting to stay with the maritime climate/rare to minimal snow, that really does kind of limit things. Others also have been right in pointing out that although the climate of the southern U.S. may be something you're looking for,it's good to bear in mind that there are def. parts of the southern U.S. that are not very embracing of the Catholic faith...even if you're not all that practicing, if it's still a big part of your identity, you may be offended by anti-Catholicism. My Italian Catholic boyfriend ran into quite a few slams while living in the south (Texas, actually), and he hasn't set foot in a church in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 PM

29 posts, read 118,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler View Post
I've noticed, through spending time in Ireland, that a great many Irish who have spent time in the United States tend to not get past NY/Boston, unless it's to go to Disneyworld.
Ah, that’s just a ridiculous statement. Or maybe you were being funny?
Every member of my Irish emigrant social group did a great deal of visiting to other States in the Union (from skiing in Aspen to winter sun worshiping in San Diego). There are sizable Irish emigrant groups in Chicago, San Fran and other major cities.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:21 PM

6 posts, read 9,721 times
Default best of luck with your move

Hi, we are doing the same thing as you. We are a family of 4 (kids aged 9 and 13) moving from Mullingar to the SF east bay area in summer '09. We lived there 13 years ago and want the kids to feel as American as they already do Irish. I am Irish, my wife is American. This does make things a bit easier. Like you, we are fed up with the weather and the doom and gloom merchants. Based on our knowledge of the states, and after a lot of research, we ultimately decided that northern California had the most to offer in terms of quality of life, good public school education, employment opportunities, for us. I have traveled the world for work and pleasure and without a doubt find the Americans to be the friendliest, nicest people on the planet (Bush being the exception). Good luck with your move. P.S. we'll watch for your reply, if you have any questions we can help you with.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,726,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post
Hi All.
Myself and my wife and two kids age 9 and 6, are in the process of getting a green card to come and live and work in your great country. Apart from being to th US on holidays, we have not got a clue as to where to relocate in the US. Where would be the ideal place to start? Where are the areas of big employment opportunities? I am 38 and my wife is 39. I`m working as a Postal worker and my wife is a Dental Hygienist. What`s the best states for buying good value property? How about the safest states? How much is medical and auto insurance or does it vary from state to state. Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people, so maybe my questions are to much to ask as each state is like a different country.
Any help and advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Ireland has year round rain and not very good summers so a nice warm climate would be nice. My kids are terrified of bugs and spiders so what`s to look out for in that department.
Many thanks,
Mark.
I think you'd love the San Antonio-El Paso-Santa Fe/Albuqeurque area. That seems to fit perfectly. San Antonio obviously has the best jobs due to its size, but you can find a job in any of those cities. It's warm, sunny, and not as many bugs are out as there are in Miami, Tampa, Houston, Atlanta, or New Orleans. If you want to avoid the bugs, stay out of the Southeast and away from the Mississippi River.

San Antonio's housing is cheap, job opportunities are everywhere, and it's always warm but it's not exactly set on a mountainside or the ocean so natural beauty isn't going to be all over the place. But San Antonio has a beautiful river walk downtown that I know you'd fall in love with.

If you're looking for mountains then El Paso and Albuquerque/Santa Fe will have that.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.