U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 07:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,089 times

Advertisements

Hi All.
Myself and my wife and two kids age 9 and 6, are in the process of getting a green card to come and live and work in your great country. Apart from being to th US on holidays, we have not got a clue as to where to relocate in the US. Where would be the ideal place to start? Where are the areas of big employment opportunities? I am 38 and my wife is 39. I`m working as a Postal worker and my wife is a Dental Hygienist. What`s the best states for buying good value property? How about the safest states? How much is medical and auto insurance or does it vary from state to state. Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people, so maybe my questions are to much to ask as each state is like a different country.
Any help and advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Ireland has year round rain and not very good summers so a nice warm climate would be nice. My kids are terrified of bugs and spiders so what`s to look out for in that department.
Many thanks,
Mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 07:33 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,011,591 times
Hi, Mark!
Please allow me to send you an early welcome to the United States! My grandfather was born on the boat over from Ireland and my family has lived in thr US ever since. This is truly the land of opportunity for anyone who is willing to work hard. Our country is gigantic and you can get virtually any kind of climate you want and any kind of city you are looking for here. I know you want a warm climate, but remember the farther south you move, the warmer it gets, and with that warmth come bugs. A good freeze now and then kills off the bugs.

I have lived my entire life in the suburbs of Cincinnati, Ohio and must tell you it's an excellent place to raise a family, get an education at a public school, go to college, and work. Housing is affordable and the cost of living is reasonable here, too. It is very safe where I live and I can walk to two parks and a nature preserve from my house. I am female and can take walks alone at night in my neighborhood with no fear. The only things bad about Cincinnati are the city itself (don't live in any major US city - go for the suburbs around them instead because it's much safer) and the weather, I'd like it to be a bit warmer, but you can't have everything. If you go to the city data site and look up Cincinnati you'll see we have winter and do get cold.

I have travelled a lot and have been to over half of the US states and could give you more information if you have specific questions. While you are researching use this site to get information on each city you are considering. It will tell you housing costs, median incomes, the racial makeup of each city, the weather month by month, the closest major airports, average travel time, etc. I wish you well in your journey! Feel free to pm me with additional questions if you wish.

Dee

Old 07-02-2007, 12:46 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,360,355 times
As Sunnydee touched upon, the U.S. is a massive country, with extreme differences in climate, cost of living, jobs, etc. within the country. I think it must be pretty overwhelming to pick a location from scratch within the U.S. while abroad because there's just so much to choose from.

On the plus side, I'm pretty sure wherever you go, you'll have warmer and sunnier weather than Ireland.

The thing with states in the U.S. is that really, in terms of size and population, each state is almost like it's own separate country as you inferred (and as such, yes medical and auto insurance differ significantly from state to state), so it's a bit difficult to sum up an entire state when within each state there's such a huge variance. If starting out with a blank slate though, climate is a good thing to start out with. If you're looking for warm temperatures year-round, obviously look further South. In the Southeast, that means extremely hot and humid summers with somewhat frequent rainstorms and lots of bugs, in places like Florida and Georgia. In the Southwest (from west Texas and further West), that means more desert-like, with lots of sun year-round and scorching hot and dry summers, but cool and pleasant winters (and depending where you are in the area, possibly cold and snowy winters as well). It seems to me that a lot of Europeans, Brits in particular, really like Florida.

So far as the most bang for your buck, well, the trend amongst Americans nowadays is moving to the Sunbelt, an area of the South and West that is somewhat loosely-defined, but basically, parts of the country where there's more space, taxes are less, homes are cheaper and weather is warmer. Particularly fast-growing states are Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Texas, Utah, California, Idaho, Tennessee and South Carolina. The urban areas within these states are generally where a high concentration of jobs are.

It may go without saying and may not be an issue for you, but flights home to Ireland would be cheapest and quickest from the Northeastern U.S.

Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,394,805 times
Move to Yonkers New York and live near McLean ave. Neighborhood is heavily Irish. Or try Woodside NY near 61st street and Roosevelt ave. These are the traditional places for Irish immigrants to move too. Hold on to your Irish roots as long as possible and drill it in to your kids not to assimilate into American culture. This will ease the transition into American culture.

Whats up with the Celtic Tiger? I thought Ireland was booming? Why are you leaving?

Last edited by samyn on the green; 07-02-2007 at 12:59 AM..

Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
I was going to suggest staying on the east coast (NJ/NY/CT/MA) - lots of Irish ex-pats here, good ecomony, and a big bonus is you can hop a direct flight to Ireland from Newark, JFK or Logan Airport. I work with an Irish citizen (she's been here 15 yrs) and she can usually snag flights for about $300 rt. You don't want to have to bother with connections if you don't have to.

Welcome to the US!

Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM

2,506 posts, read 7,756,843 times
Firstly, I would like to go against what Sunnydee said about EVERY AMERICAN CITY. I don't know about Cincinnati, but there are plenty of urban cities in this country that are perfectly safe. That statement is rediculous. After that, you have to ask yourself some things. Do you like the city, or a rural area? What kind of climate do you want? Do you want to go home often? You will find safe areas in any state. It is harder to do in some. You have pretty common jobs, don't limit your search there. Define "good value" Cheap property, property that will grow in value, et. cetera. What do you want to spend, what do you want to get for that money? Then put those answers in order of imporatnce. A good site is ****.com. It will ask some questions a spit out a list of possible locations and cities. Until you can limit your choices somewhat, It is pretty hard to direct you anywhere. We all wish you the best of luck on your move. Welcome to America.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,360,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
A good site is ****.com.
Yep, a very good recommendation from Minnehahapolitan here. That may point you in some direction, then you can investigate both here on this forum and elsewhere the cities you're given. It's of course not 100% on the money so far as matching people up with ideal locations, but it is a good place to start if you're somewhat overwhelmed and directionless.

There's a few Irish posters on here (i.e. not Irish-Americans, but actual Irishmen and Irishwomen from Ireland who are now living in the U.S.) who I hope will see your thread and post in it as they can perhaps offer a good point-by-point comparison between the U.S. and Ireland and may be able to empathize and have the knowledge to help steer you in a certain direction.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,089 times
Hi again.
Thank you all so much for your replies and for your warm welcome to me and my family prior to our move there. There seems to be so much info out there regarding where to live in America, so having no idea might not be a bad thing. We live in a suburb in Dublin at the moment but things here are getting worse by the day. The Celtic Tiger has long run away and is now living in Eastern Europe. The cost of living here is rising fast, crime is on the way up, weather is getting even worse and more and more companies are closing down due to the high wage demands. But don`t get me wrong, Ireland is a beautifull country and Dublin is a wonderfull city to visit.

We just think that getting a Diversity Visa is a wonderfull oppurtunity not to be missed and to start a new life in America and with all the talk about the new immigration bills being debated at the moment, we may never get a chance again if we miss this one.

Now that we have a choice as to where to go I suppose weather would be our first choice. Nice warm guaranteed summers and not too cold winters but certainly less RAIN, we`re sick of the RAIN. We don`t want to live in a city. A nice suburb with plenty of stuff for the kids to do outside, parks and nice places to go for walks or bike rides. A safe family friendly community with good schools and places to find work. There are direct flights to Dublin now from NY, NJ, Boston, Chicago, Orlando, LA, SF and Washington DC so maybe that will factor in somewhere. Maybe i`m asking the impossible here but i will keep studying this forum and the other web sites you mention.

We hope when we do eventually get to come over that we will have about $400k to set ourselves up with property (minimum 4 bed 2 bath) and transport and any other expenses that comes about.

Thanks again for all your advice,
Mark.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:18 PM

9 posts, read 82,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post
Hi again.
Thank you all so much for your replies and for your warm welcome to me and my family prior to our move there. There seems to be so much info out there regarding where to live in America, so having no idea might not be a bad thing. We live in a suburb in Dublin at the moment but things here are getting worse by the day. The Celtic Tiger has long run away and is now living in Eastern Europe. The cost of living here is rising fast, crime is on the way up, weather is getting even worse and more and more companies are closing down due to the high wage demands. But don`t get me wrong, Ireland is a beautifull country and Dublin is a wonderfull city to visit.

We just think that getting a Diversity Visa is a wonderfull oppurtunity not to be missed and to start a new life in America and with all the talk about the new immigration bills being debated at the moment, we may never get a chance again if we miss this one.

Now that we have a choice as to where to go I suppose weather would be our first choice. Nice warm guaranteed summers and not too cold winters but certainly less RAIN, we`re sick of the RAIN. We don`t want to live in a city. A nice suburb with plenty of stuff for the kids to do outside, parks and nice places to go for walks or bike rides. A safe family friendly community with good schools and places to find work. There are direct flights to Dublin now from NY, NJ, Boston, Chicago, Orlando, LA, SF and Washington DC so maybe that will factor in somewhere. Maybe i`m asking the impossible here but i will keep studying this forum and the other web sites you mention.

We hope when we do eventually get to come over that we will have about $400k to set ourselves up with property (minimum 4 bed 2 bath) and transport and any other expenses that comes about.

Thanks again for all your advice,
Mark.
Hi what a coincidence - we are from Ireland - we own a vacation home in Orlando the past 3 years - we are from Derry N Ireland and have 2 kids age 15 and 12 (both at catholic grammar schools) we have had the opportunity to buy a company and my husband is an ex derry city player and now has a UEFA B Licence to coach soccer - we have to go out on an investors visa so we have about $250,000 to pay - we are in Davenport and I do like the area despite the bad reviews - but we are concerned about the lack of good education compared to here in Ireland!
Let me know how you get on and keep in touch - Brenda Derry!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 AM

21 posts, read 211,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfive View Post
Hi All.
Myself and my wife and two kids age 9 and 6, are in the process of getting a green card to come and live and work in your great country. Apart from being to th US on holidays, we have not got a clue as to where to relocate in the US. Where would be the ideal place to start? Where are the areas of big employment opportunities? I am 38 and my wife is 39. I`m working as a Postal worker and my wife is a Dental Hygienist. What`s the best states for buying good value property? How about the safest states? How much is medical and auto insurance or does it vary from state to state. Ireland has a population of just over 4 million people, so maybe my questions are to much to ask as each state is like a different country.
Any help and advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Ireland has year round rain and not very good summers so a nice warm climate would be nice. My kids are terrified of bugs and spiders so what`s to look out for in that department.
Many thanks,
Mark.
My first thoughts were stay in Ireland. But anways to answer your Questions I live in The Republic Of Mississippi on the Gulf Coast. Housing is skyrocketing here a new home about 1600 to 1800 squarefoot will be around 200,000 dollars. Home insurance is expensive about 3500 dollars a year. Auto insurance varies on the driver. Mine for a 2003 ford expedition is 79 dollars per month for full coverage. My medical is about 350 dollars. Land here is expensive too about 7,000 to 10,000 per acer. I would Suggest Arkansas or One of the North western States to move to. I plan on selling my place and moving myself in about a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.