U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-23-2010, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Where Else...?
740 posts, read 981,322 times
Reputation: 656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I disagree with the peripheral areas. Southern Indiana, southern Ohio, and the western Plains shaded areas have very little in common with the Midwest. Even cities like Topeka, Wichita, and Bismarck are on the periphery of the Midwest as well as Canton or Cincinnati.

they're all still in the midwest. Not the east coast, not the south and not the west. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas all are part of what makes the midwest.

Why all of a sudden (in the last few years) has there been question of what consists of the midwest?

 
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
 
2,601 posts, read 3,892,777 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree, the people in Colorado and Montana would scoff at any part of thier states being called midwest. Even the high plains portions of those states are not midwest.
Okay, so is the state line between Kansas and Colorado tangible? Other than a sign, is there something that automatically clues you in to the fact that you're now in Colorado and not in Kansas? Do the people look different, do they speak differently, do they dress differently? Because, you know, we're being nitpicky about a very small area.

My grandparents lived in Colorado, so I've been there many, many times. I'm not saying it's Kansas - it's obviously not. But when you cross the border from Kansas into Colorado, there IS no difference. You really think that people "scoff" at being considered a part of the Midwest? I find myself getting tired of all the passive-aggressive bashing of the Midwest.
 
Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 PM
 
5,636 posts, read 13,578,795 times
Reputation: 3151
I'd like to hear your argument for including northeastern MT. And why just 1/2 of eastern CO? Why didn't you draw the line at the foothills (just west of Denver)?

I'd put the western border at the 100th meridian (about 1/2 way across the Dakotas, NE and KS). If you ever been to that part of the country, you'd know there is a distinct change there, primarily farming vs. ranching, humid vs. arid. The eastern Dakotas are corn and soybeans, the western Dakotas are sage and even some cactus.
 
Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,343,095 times
Reputation: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, this is the first I've heard that the Midwest extends clear into north central Montana, much less have a bunch of people nodding their head saying "yep."
I know, right?
 
Old 09-23-2010, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,183,886 times
Reputation: 3195
What exactly is non-Midwestern about northeast and north-central Montana? It's not mountainous. It's flat, it has corn, wheat, ranches. Other than the state line, it's no different from the rest of the western Midwest.
 
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 PM
 
Location: South Chicagoland
4,111 posts, read 7,343,095 times
Reputation: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
What exactly is non-Midwestern about northeast and north-central Montana? It's not mountainous. It's flat, it has corn, wheat, ranches. Other than the state line, it's no different from the rest of the western Midwest.
What exactly is non-Midwestern about southern Illinois and southern Missouri? It's flat, it has corn, wheat, ranches. Other than Baptist churches and a few other southern cultural influences, it's not THAT far removed from Central Illinois or Mid-Missouri.
 
Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 9,776,466 times
Reputation: 2365
Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan are Southern........Southern Canada!
 
Old 09-24-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,990 posts, read 11,183,886 times
Reputation: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
What exactly is non-Midwestern about southern Illinois and southern Missouri? It's flat, it has corn, wheat, ranches. Other than Baptist churches and a few other southern cultural influences, it's not THAT far removed from Central Illinois or Mid-Missouri.
It's the South. It's more similar to Tennessee and Alabama than Central Illinois.
 
Old 09-24-2010, 11:16 AM
 
7,310 posts, read 8,966,497 times
Reputation: 8350
I wouldn't say that Montana is the Midwest, but that much of eastern Montana could be considered to be part of the "Breadbasket", because of its prodigious wheat production..
 
Old 09-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Status: "Autumn!" (set 28 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,908 posts, read 98,665,754 times
Reputation: 31326
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree, the people in Colorado and Montana would scoff at any part of thier states being called midwest. Even the high plains portions of those states are not midwest.
As a Coloradan, I agree. Great Plains, maybe. Out here we call that area the eastern plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Okay, so is the state line between Kansas and Colorado tangible? Other than a sign, is there something that automatically clues you in to the fact that you're now in Colorado and not in Kansas? Do the people look different, do they speak differently, do they dress differently? Because, you know, we're being nitpicky about a very small area.

My grandparents lived in Colorado, so I've been there many, many times. I'm not saying it's Kansas - it's obviously not. But when you cross the border from Kansas into Colorado, there IS no difference. You really think that people "scoff" at being considered a part of the Midwest? I find myself getting tired of all the passive-aggressive bashing of the Midwest.
The difference is that once you cross the state line, you're in a different state. Different state laws, taxes, etc. Why not use the state boundaries when appropriate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It's the South. It's more similar to Tennessee and Alabama than Central Illinois.
Having been in southern Illinois, it's still Illinois. The people have a faintly southern accent, but they still live in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top