Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2011, 03:38 PM

543 posts, read 855,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
We call the rednecks Forest People around here, because of the Ocala National Forest.
My husband is a Cracker (and proud of it), because he is a native Floridian, a very rare breed down here.
Why in the world would I consider myself a Yankee?
I'm not from the North East, I am a Missouri Midwestern hybrid.
My father was from St Louis, my mother from Poplar Bluff, so, I consider myself to be a hybrid between the 2 cultures.
Thats a new one. hybrid. Now if this were 1890, I think a number of St. louisans would still consider themselves southern. Even Hanible was southern back in the day.

Wow Forest people. Interesting. In school you DIDNT want to be a native Floridian. Everyone made fun of Florida crackers. It seems most young people these days don't want to be associated with the south or anything redneck. they're into Snoop Dog and eminem now.

Someone from South Florida would feel very out of place in somewhere like Sikeston or West Plains.

Another thing I've notice is Florida is a more progessive state then the surrounding southern states. Obama won by over 200,000 votes and even with the Democrats being so unpopular Rick Scott barely won the governors election. From reading the news sites it seems Scott is very unpopular in FL with a number of Republicans also.

Can you see Florida becoming similar to Maryland political wise in maybe another 10 years? WIth all the immigration flowing into the state. Dade County, broward County are Democrat strongholds now. Miami to me is Hollywierd of the East.

It's kinda worrying me based on the immigration trends and elections. Especially if Scott is unpopular still come 2015 and is knocked off by a Democrat.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:49 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Thats a new one. hybrid. Now if this were 1890, I think a number of St. louisans would still consider themselves southern. Even Hanible was southern back in the day.

Wow Forest people. Interesting. In school you DIDNT want to be a native Floridian. Everyone made fun of Florida crackers. It seems most young people these days don't want to be associated with the south or anything redneck. they're into Snoop Dog and eminem now.

Someone from South Florida would feel very out of place in somewhere like Sikeston or West Plains.

Another thing I've notice is Florida is a more progessive state then the surrounding southern states. Obama won by over 200,000 votes and even with the Democrats being so unpopular Rick Scott barely won the governors election. From reading the news sites it seems Scott is very unpopular in FL with a number of Republicans also.

Can you see Florida becoming similar to Maryland political wise in maybe another 10 years? WIth all the immigration flowing into the state. Dade County, broward County are Democrat strongholds now. Miami to me is Hollywierd of the East.

It's kinda worrying me based on the immigration trends and elections. Especially if Scott is unpopular still come 2015 and is knocked off by a Democrat.
My husband has never cared what other people thought of him, and since he was a defensive end for Edgewater HS in Orlando, nobody gave him any crap back then, they dont give him any crap now, either.
In 1890, my dads ancestors would not have classified themselves as southern in any way, shape or form.
They were from the south side of St Louis, and they are still there to this day, they self-identify as Midwestern, always have.
BTW, Rick Scott will not be re-elected.
Thank God, what a weasel.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
My husband has never cared what other people thought of him, and since he was a defensive end for Edgewater HS in Orlando, nobody gave him any crap back then, they dont give him any crap now, either.
In 1890, my dads ancestors would not have classified themselves as southern in any way, shape or form.
They were from the south side of St Louis, and they are still there to this day, they self-identify as Midwestern, always have.
BTW, Rick Scott will not be re-elected.
Thank God, what a weasel.
I thought the midwest term wasn't really used until the late 1800s?

I recall Missouri was actually called a western state as well at one time before being Midwestern.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Quote:
I thought the midwest term wasn't really used until the late 1800s?

I recall Missouri was actually called a western state as well at one time before being Midwestern.
The term Midwest has been used for over 100 years.
What are you driving at?
Are you going to claim that MO is now a western state?
Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Wiki has this listed for MO in its midwest page.

Missouri: Louisiana Purchase, Border state.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:43 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:

What does that have to do with anything? Wikipedia is not a source I would consider reliable anyway. We all know it was a border state, so what?

Old 10-05-2011, 12:57 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:

That's nothing new. Border state is an exclusive reference to the Civil War. Everybody knows it was a border state that remained in the Union during the Civil War. As Gunnerthb said, things have been different for over a century.

Let's put it this way: I was once an infant, then I became an adolescent. Now I'm a man. Does that make me any less of a man today? Same concept with many of the border states during the Civil Way vs. what it became after the Civil War. All started out more Southern-leaning, during the Civil War they began to transform and be torn by internal strife (lol, like an adolescent), and then after they eventually emerged either decisively Southern or decisively identifying with another region. The passage of time, especially the combination of a major traumatic event like the Civil War plus the 150 years that followed, was more than enough to make states like MO, MD, and DE change their personalities.

It was also enough time to make states like KY, WV, and OK to dramatically strengthen their ties to the South.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:06 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,873 times
Quote:

The South includes many states that were border states. (as should the Northeast: Maryland and Delaware have much more in common with Pennsylvania today than Virginia).

The Midwest includes many states that didn't even exist during the Civil War. (NE, SD, and ND). The Midwest was also once defined as only those states that were part of the Northwest Ordinance, of which Iowa and much of Minnesota were not. Iowa and Kansas have been considered Midwestern for about as long as Missouri. The Great Plains consist of states that in the Mountain West, the Midwest and the South. It's not the topography that dictates this division...it's the culture. Historically these states were once all part of the Great Desert. That's changed. As I've said before, historic terms are just that: historic. Unless they still apply today, they've got little meaning. Border states were severely split to the point they were impossible to identify anywhere...that's no longer the case.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Just random thougts
North Dakota and South Dakota are not the MIDWEST
Some consider Plains states together with
Nebraska Kansas and Oklahoma

Missouri was the gateway to the west think of the Arch
NorthWestern University in Chicago old NorthWestern Territory

I believe the term Midwest is loose to me it represents
Illinois, Iowa, Most of Wisconsin, Most of Minnesota, Most of Michigan
Parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Part of Kentucky, Part of Missouri, Indiana.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Just random thougts
North Dakota and South Dakota are not the MIDWEST
Some consider Plains states together with
Nebraska Kansas and Oklahoma

Missouri was the gateway to the west think of the Arch
NorthWestern University in Chicago old NorthWestern Territory

I believe the term Midwest is loose to me it represents
Illinois, Iowa, Most of Wisconsin, Most of Minnesota, Most of Michigan
Parts of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Part of Kentucky, Part of Missouri, Indiana.
The Dakotas are Midwestern; they're just the Plains portion of the Midwest..

No part of Pennsylvania belongs to the Midwest, and ALL of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota belong to the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.