Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:04 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,075,544 times

Advertisements

I found this online... enjoy!

http://southerntapestry.com/beingsouthern.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 PM

301 posts, read 1,371,535 times
Yeah "THE" Southern Belle Sallie Ward was actually from Louisville, Kentucky.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:44 AM

I know, it's wonderful!

Old 07-04-2007, 04:02 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
Being from the South, I'd have to add some modern interpretations for balance.

Southern Belles also:

Do not know that low rise jeans with muffin-top fat rolls are gross.

Will talk about their ex husband(s) on the first, second and probably third date with any new guy.

Will not function if Wal-Mart goes under.

Can look down on people from inside their own trailer.

Will run home to momma and threaten you with what their family is capable of doing at the first sign of trouble.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:12 AM

caution I don't think that is only in the South.....

Old 07-05-2007, 02:29 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Being from the South, I'd have to add some modern interpretations for balance.

Southern Belles also:

Do not know that low rise jeans with muffin-top fat rolls are gross.

Will talk about their ex husband(s) on the first, second and probably third date with any new guy.

Will not function if Wal-Mart goes under.

Can look down on people from inside their own trailer.

Will run home to momma and threaten you with what their family is capable of doing at the first sign of trouble.

Southern belles wouldn't be caught dead at Walmart.

They go to Antique shops or thrift stores or maybe Targets.

Southern belles don't live in trailers.

I think you're talking about good 'ol girls.
You don't seem to know what a southern belle is.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
I don't want to start something, but I can't get past it that some on these forums would argue that Louisville would be devoid of Southern Belles, since Louisville is a Midwestern city! I DON'T agree with them, I found Louisville full of Southern charm. I can't think of a Midwestern equivalent of a Southern Belle.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Well apparently Sallie Bingham whose father owned the newspaper the Courier-journal here in Louisville was being raised to be a Southern Belle and wrote a book on it back in 1989.

Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I don't want to start something, but I can't get past it that some on these forums would argue that Louisville would be devoid of Southern Belles, since Louisville is a Midwestern city! I DON'T agree with them, I found Louisville full of Southern charm. I can't think of a Midwestern equivalent of a Southern Belle.
Me neither. We don't have Midwestern Belles in the Midwest. We just have...Midwestern women...of all sorts. Frankly, I like a little variety in my women

Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Southern belles wouldn't be caught dead at Walmart.

They go to Antique shops or thrift stores or maybe Targets.

Southern belles don't live in trailers.

I think you're talking about good 'ol girls.
You don't seem to know what a southern belle is.
No I obviously don't, being from the deep south, living there most of my life and being tortured with marriage to one for 13 years.

The southern belle existed in the early south, a product of opulence and the luxury that slavery allowed.

That's why I said it's updated.

Antiques? Try lipo and boob jobs. Target? Like that's somehow different than Wal-Mart? Ohhhh. It is in the mind of a *true* southern belle??

Where do you think the grand dames of the south go if the divorce settlement doesn't go their way? Oh. Let's call it a "manufactured home" since no self-described southern belle ever lived in a trailer.

Except for very old, very exclusive money in some of the true old south cities, the definition of a southern belle has changed. That was the lame point of my lame attempt at humor. I forgot, you can't joke around much on these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.