Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Agreed. We're becoming a region replete with corporate "power-commuters." Monroe County's population has grown by 70,000 in recent years, Pike County is the fastest-growing county in the entire state, and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has just begun to pick up new residents as well; I'm thinking that the upcoming commuter rail line from NEPA to NYC will only make these hellish long-distance commuters marginally better.
I refuse to spend that much time commuting. I want more family time. I think people are crazy for doing that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 03:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
No. I thought it was probably too expensive. Is it?
Parts are, most other areas are far more affordable than NYC, particularly downtown. If youre into suburban life, Chicago offers hundreds of suburbs, all unique.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:44 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,994,339 times
Be smart and stay in NY. The taxes, corruption and huge welfare population is worth dealing with. The rest of the US is a complete snooze, you will be bored out the wazoo and dream of NY daily. The lot of the suburban US is a master planned soulless black hole with nil culture.

Sick of NY? Take a holiday. After living in NY the only move I would consider is overseas.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,129 times
I was born in Brooklyn, raised in the Bronx, worked in The City, lived in Queens and now on the Island.

We will be leaving NY in 2 1/2 years and heading west. We are considering Albuquerque and Reno for most of the same reasons that you listed.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:20 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,755,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Be smart and stay in NY. The taxes, corruption and huge welfare population is worth dealing with. The rest of the US is a complete snooze, you will be bored out the wazoo and dream of NY daily. The lot of the suburban US is a master planned soulless black hole with nil culture.

Sick of NY? Take a holiday. After living in NY the only move I would consider is overseas.
My dream was to live in Italy, and I tried very hard to make that happen when I was young and single.

The single most reason why I want to leave NY is because you can't even buy a two bedroom apartment in a co-op (co-ops suck) for less than $250K out in the boroughs.

I don't relish renting an apartment for the rest of my life, and I don't think I'm going to quadruple my income in the next 10 years.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
You should do a road trip down South and check out Atlanta, Charlotte and Chapel Hill, NC. Atlanta is the biggest of the three by far, but plenty accessible to mountains and lakes. And loads of NYC transplants here. Weather is hot in the summer (but no more humid than NYC and there are more pools) and it's fantastic in the winter, except for an ice storm here and there.
The only other option nobody has mentioned may be Denver. Totally different atmosphere but people love it.
Oh, and by the way, Atlanta is a great place to raise a family. Cost of living can't be beat. Same probably goes for Denver too, especially when moving from NY. We did it two years ago and haven't looked back.
So we bring bagels back on the 1.5 hour plane ride. Makes everyone happy!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Can't do palookaville dont care about the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
My dream was to live in Italy, and I tried very hard to make that happen when I was young and single.

The single most reason why I want to leave NY is because you can't even buy a two bedroom apartment in a co-op (co-ops suck) for less than $250K out in the boroughs.

I don't relish renting an apartment for the rest of my life, and I don't think I'm going to quadruple my income in the next 10 years.
I'm in the same boat as you. Priced out of the ownership game in this area But is owning something everything? I think not.

As an alternate you should look into Monte Video Uruguay or Buenos Aires Argentina. There are more Italians in small Argentina than the entire US and the living is cheap and the life is molto bello.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:04 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Recommendations? Stay. Why, why would anyone in their right mind, or a mind of any kind, move from New York?? It is the home of special people, the best of the very best! Second home to the world! GOD's hometown, if you ask me.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Recommendations? Stay. Why, why would anyone in their right mind, or a mind of any kind, move from New York?? It is the home of special people, the best of the very best! Second home to the world! GOD's hometown, if you ask me.
I agree, it is not easy living here, but I feel it is worth it. I traveled around and spent time in dozens of US cities and for the most part the other American cities/suburbs are a huge snoozefest. Made a choice to make make lemonade with my NY lemons.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
I agree, it is not easy living here, but I feel it is worth it. I traveled around and spent time in dozens of US cities and for the most part the other American cities/suburbs are a huge snoozefest. Made a choice to make make lemonade with my NY lemons.
You do sense my sarcasm, right? I think you need to spend MORE time in these places before you dismiss them as snoozefests. If, for instance, I had to wake up to yet another frozen morning in a place full of people tripping over one another trying to get the word out on their overall greatness, I would just feel..like making lemonade elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.