U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 08:48 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,863,321 times

Advertisements

'college' =/= traditional four year school. I took classes at city colleges for awhile and reported that I had 'some college" under my belt before I finished my degree (after dropping out of school for a few years), when I stated "some college" that is what I meant.

I concur on the confusion over median household income. When I was asked what was average, that was the stat that I recalled, I agree that it was not initially clear, but I was still not entirely off (given your statement about the average wage being 36k), and of course being that I was born and raised in an area of the country where wages are a bit higher, it makes sense that my perception of 'average wage' was a bit skewed (but I did state that I believed it to be somewhere between 35-50k).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:51 PM

30,178 posts, read 67,314,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Scranton, you sound like me when I was in my early 20s. Now that I'm older and wiser, I think much of this is still accurate, but there are a lot more good people among us than I realized when I was that age.

(Um, who is Clay Aiken?)
True. I'm very good at finding the brightest spots in my struggling city as a whole, but when it comes to trying to find a similar silver lining in people themselves, I fall short. I suppose I've just been jaded in life by growing up watching both CNN and FoxNews incessantly and being horribly confused and misled by BOTH! LOL!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM

2,166 posts, read 4,193,328 times
Here's Wikipedia's spin on the "Average Joe":

Average Joe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 PM

2,166 posts, read 4,193,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
'college' =/= traditional four year school. I took classes at city colleges for awhile and reported that I had 'some college" under my belt before I finished my degree (after dropping out of school for a few years), when I stated "some college" that is what I meant.

I concur on the confusion over median household income. When I was asked what was average, that was the stat that I recalled, I agree that it was not initially clear, but I was still not entirely off (given your statement about the average wage being 36k), and of course being that I was born and raised in an area of the country where wages are a bit higher, it makes sense that my perception of 'average wage' was a bit skewed (but I did state that I believed it to be somewhere between 35-50k).
True, it's hard to pinpoint things, due to methodology differences, median vs. average vs. mean, whom to include and exclude in the study, etc.

And then there are the illegal immigrants and other unrecorded people in the country; their situation doesn't get officially tallied, though the "average American" probably lives near them and interacts with them in some significant way.

The "average American" is probably more of a statistical fantasy than a composite possibility, given regional income/cost disparities (as you implied) and other factors (rural/urban, etc.). Would Peoria's Average Mabel be able to survive economically (and remain average) in Long Island?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 32,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
-I think the "average" American has completed high school and has completed some college coursework with no degree, having dropped out either due to financial difficulty, family hardship, discouragement over a deteriorating GPA, or some other reason.

-I think the "average" American pines to achieve a level of upward vertical mobility that will be largely-unattainable for them, so they "fake" it by using credit cards to dig themselves into $10,000 or more of credit card debt to purchase newer vehicles and gadgets that permit them to appear on an even keel with those in a slightly-higher social class. (i.e. "keeping up with the Jones's).

-I think the "average" American gripes about high fuel prices before hopping into their large, gas-guzzling SUV or pick-up truck and driving to their non-truck-related 9-5 job, which truly puts them in no position to be outraged over rising fuel prices when they are doing nothing to help curb the demand side.

-I think the "average" American believes in some sort of higher being, whether it be God, Allah, Moses, Aunt Jemima, or whatever else.

-I think the "average" American has been fooled into a false sense of security in suburbia with their poorly-built vinyl-clad McMansions on postage-stamp sized lots and sidewalk-less neighborhoods where their children become morbidly obese from not being able to walk anywhere and not being able to leave the home without being driven to that destination by their parents, who are too busy working longer and longer hours to acquire more "stuff" to do so.

-I think the "average" American has been brainwashed by FoxNews, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, President Bush, and the rest of the extreme religious right into believing that we gay individuals are unworthy of compassion, common courtesy, or, more importantly, equality due to unfounded jibberish about catching AIDS through handshakes or molesting children.

-I think the "average" American is conceited and ethnocentric, believing that their nation is supreme in relation to all other "subservient" nations as opposed to believing that all men are created equally, as is even stated in our own Constitution, which they conveniently overlook due to sheer laziness.

-I think the "average" American couldn't care less that the $5 t-shirt they just bought at Wal-Mart was forged at the hands of cruel labor practices in developing nations as Sam Walton rolls over in his grave to see his once-wholesome store transformed into an uncaring empire.

- I think the "average" American may come off as being self-absorbed, strongly-opinionated, and even callous on some levels, but all are compassionate beings who band together to help one another through times of severe adversity and mental anguish (think 9/11, Virginia Tech, Columbine, PA Amish School Bloodbath, Oklahoma City, etc.)

-I think the "average" American is prejudiced and biased at least on a minimal extent towards certain minority groups for one petty reason or another, as much as even the most liberal ones claim not to be.

-I think the "average" American has misguided priorites in that he/she will be more concerned with Paris Hilton's latest sexual escapade than they are worried about keeping our brave men and women in their prayers during this extreme time of war and strife.

-I think the "average" American doesn't thoroughly research a candidate before voting for him or her in an election. This is evidenced by the fact that the majority of our nation voted to re-elect President Bush in 2004 while more than 20% of those same people have now grown to be included in the nearly 70% who disapprove of his job performance as of late. Fickle, anyone?

-I think the "average" American couldn't care less about global climate shifts as long as it will only threaten their offspring and not their current generation.

-I think the "average" American complains incessantly about a rise in milk prices to help our struggling dairy farmers to make ends meat while they stand and pump premium gas into their Lexus SUVs and Suburbans at $3.50/gallon.

-I think the "average" American hasn't read a novel in at least a year, if not longer.

-I think the "average" American couldn't tell you who Nancy Pelosi was, but they could most certainly tell you who Clay Aiken is.

-I think the "average" American has forgotten that turn signals come standard on every vehicle made nowadays, and they are there for more than just "decoration."

-I think the "average" American doesn't realize the hurtful, heart-wrenching impact using slurs such as "retard", "***", etc. can have upon those who truly are mentally or physically-challenged and/or homosexual.

-I think the "average" American is secretly thinking "I'll run out and buy an Audi A8 tomorrow to upstage the Jones's Audi A6" when hiding those sinful true feelings of envy and congratulating their next-door neighbor's purchase of a brand new vehicle that they saved for for a number of years.

-I think the "average" American is lying when they claim that physical appearance doesn't weigh heavily in their decision to pursue a romantic relationship with someone.

-I think the "average" American loves to find some political agenda to latch onto in order to hope that the focus of others will be shifted away from their own shortcomings, which are protested by others at the same time. For example, why not protest gay marriage in order to shift attention away from invading foreign nations without having credible intelligence sources beforehand? Why not protest abortion in order to shift attention away from one's recent drunk-driving arrest?

-I think the "average" American is an armchair quarterback who believes he/she can do much, much better than the politicians who are currently in office but will never get off their derrieres to consider actually running for that same post themselves in the next election.

-I think the "average" American has some sort of erotic fantasy that they have always wanted to live out but are too ashamed to broach with their sexual partners to ever make it a reality.

...shall I continue?
The Average American works hard, pays taxes, listens to news, but is able to know what is right. Studies up before voting. owns a fuel efficient vehicle and a V8, along with a motorcycle. Has children. Loves and lives life to the fulliest. Can read, write and speak English fluently. Is very Patriotic. Has values, morals and believes in the 10 commandments, and "In God We Trust". Believes that it is True that only 2% of the population is Homosexual and that they can be helped with Therapy. The Average American also Believe that the Liberals in Congress are trying to sell America to Mexico and Thru NAFTA are bringing down America. I know Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Fienstein. All Rich women who will never know what the Average American has to Endure each and every day. They use taxpayers money for their well being and transportation. I am Independent average American, proud of my country and pray that more Average Americans speak out to the world that we will not take it any more. No more selling America off to the highest bidder. The Average American, Liberal or conservative, independent or Green Peace, want to keep our Borders, Language and culture in tact for the next generation. We do not believe in Global Warming, As Al Gore describes it, But we believe in climate change, as been proven every so often. We read up on things before we speak, so we know and can argue our case. We believe in the Death Penalty. The Average American believes that if he does not speak up, the world will be lost. Thanks to the Average American, the Immigration bill did not pass. We have a voice, but we choose our fights carefully and we are in it to win, not by runnning our oponent down, but rather helping them see the truth. I AM an Average American Citizen who believes that I own the Government and they need to listen to me, not Jesse Jackson, the ACLU or Al Sharpton. or Hillary Clinton George Bush or Mitt Romney. They all need to listen to me. I am the Average American taxpayer, who voted them in, and can Vote them out. They have no voice without me behind them, and they know it! The Average American lives on and will always be the majority in this country.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:34 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,277,384 times
Quote:
-I think the "average" American has been brainwashed by FoxNews, Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, President Bush
I like all of those (excluding Ann Coulter)!

Quote:
-I think the "average" American is prejudiced and biased at least on a minimal extent towards certain minority groups for one petty reason or another, as much as even the most liberal ones claim not to be.
I agree 100%. I know too many people who say they aren't prejudiced and then turn around and utter a racial slur.

Quote:
-I think the "average" American couldn't care less about global climate shifts
Agree, I could honestly care less.

Quote:
-I think the "average" American couldn't tell you who Nancy Pelosi was, but they could most certainly tell you who Clay Aiken is
Also agree. Who'd want to know Nacy Pelosi anyway, she's a WITCH.

Quote:
...shall I continue?
...Yes.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM

150 posts, read 480,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueVueRacer View Post
The Average American works hard, pays taxes, listens to news, but is able to know what is right. Studies up before voting. owns a fuel efficient vehicle and a V8, along with a motorcycle. Has children. Loves and lives life to the fulliest. Can read, write and speak English fluently. Is very Patriotic. Has values, morals and believes in the 10 commandments, and "In God We Trust". Believes that it is True that only 2% of the population is Homosexual and that they can be helped with Therapy. The Average American also Believe that the Liberals in Congress are trying to sell America to Mexico and Thru NAFTA are bringing down America. I know Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Fienstein. All Rich women who will never know what the Average American has to Endure each and every day. They use taxpayers money for their well being and transportation. I am Independent average American, proud of my country and pray that more Average Americans speak out to the world that we will not take it any more. No more selling America off to the highest bidder. The Average American, Liberal or conservative, independent or Green Peace, want to keep our Borders, Language and culture in tact for the next generation. We do not believe in Global Warming, As Al Gore describes it, But we believe in climate change, as been proven every so often. We read up on things before we speak, so we know and can argue our case. We believe in the Death Penalty. The Average American believes that if he does not speak up, the world will be lost. Thanks to the Average American, the Immigration bill did not pass. We have a voice, but we choose our fights carefully and we are in it to win, not by runnning our oponent down, but rather helping them see the truth. I AM an Average American Citizen who believes that I own the Government and they need to listen to me, not Jesse Jackson, the ACLU or Al Sharpton. or Hillary Clinton George Bush or Mitt Romney. They all need to listen to me. I am the Average American taxpayer, who voted them in, and can Vote them out. They have no voice without me behind them, and they know it! The Average American lives on and will always be the majority in this country.
yes that is allso my viev of average, but I have been to the big city and that is allmost opisite view there. They still love the clintons and algore They think nancie polosie realy understands them and if we would all just hug each other flowers would sprout up every were.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,863,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreez View Post
yes that is allso my viev of average, but I have been to the big city and that is allmost opisite view there. .
Great, so this is going to become sort of 'we are real Americans and you aren't' type of thread? I hate those types of threads, just about as much as I hate threads that go into the bashing and making generalizations about people because of of where people choose to live (or were born and raised in my case).

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM

150 posts, read 480,700 times
I wasent bashing any one but I dont think I was far off base People in the city just have difrent views than people in rual areas. Just beacaus of diffrent experiences we have diffrent opinions and views.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:04 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,280,287 times
"Average" doesn't refer to the typical rural resident, cityfolk, upper middle class family, or lower middle class family.

It refers to the AVERAGE point of 300 million observations (people) in the unit of study (the USA). It's statistically and logically difficult.
For example:
White people are a majority in the USA and Europe, yet a distinct minority among 6 billion people on the planet.

The average American is likely a political independent, but the number of partisans is not negligible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or