Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:12 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
I don't get why so many people are anti-highway, I love trains I ride the train here ever day in Charlotte, but would never dismiss the importance of interstates and the need for them in outlying area, especially place where very, very expensive rail would have low ridership and the cost would not benefit anyone but 50 people when a Highway could benefit thousands for the same cost.

I honestly am not truly anti-Highway

Federal funds should only be used for Inter city/state Highways. Intra city/metro Beltways/Connections should be paid for by the area that benefits not federal funds. That is really my point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 02:13 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
they won't listen. They know all, and we know nothing
Quote:
anyway, I should not even be responding because you have not addressed my other issues, why would you address this one.
then why are you still here talking smack? You arn't listening either.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
then why are you still here talking smack? You arn't listening either.
I'm not? so how did I respond?

Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I honestly am not truly anti-Highway

Federal funds should only be used for Inter city/state Highways. Intra city/metro Beltways/Connections should be paid for by the area that benefits not federal funds. That is really my point
yeah you are anti other people getting highways. pure jealousy

Old 09-30-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not? so how did I respond?
build a 4th, 5th, 6th beltway. Bring on the Wal Marts, Taco bells, and cookie cutter housing. Bring on the expense of widening existing intersecting roads with the new highway, adding traffic signals, street lights and water/sewer lines. Put the burden on everywhere else. Meanwhile stay content with the little at grade trolley that could chugging around Houston like a novelty instead of a real heavy rail system like MARTA in Atlanta. That's why you are under the impression the ridership would be low. Forget getting more creative and ambitious about developing the infrastructure within the 3 beltways. Yeah, there's a recipe for a world class city.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-30-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-30-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
No, we care about our existing highways not crumbling and getting upgraded along with the new rail corridors that cities like Houston would benefit from instead of supporting new sprawl or adding more sprawl to the exurbs.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:

No just in my opinion a poor use of Federal Funds

To Houston or any other area build as many Highways/Beltways as you want, just do it on your own dime

Connections between cities and states are another story for Federal funds

This isnt a Houston thing it was just one example, many other cities are doing the same thing and i equally disagree on the use of these funds

Old 09-30-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Paul you posted rail lines going through NJ you didn't post a rail line around NJ

HTown agin these go all through NJ and connect many towns/business centers and larger cities. the point. More cohesive development and less reliance in beltways and such. More people still use cars but NJT is a good example of good alternatives and it is expanding.

And HTown build all the highways you want to connect town x to town y in the metro, I just dont think federal funds should be used. My point and until metros as large as Houston invest in better alternatives and better cohesion and planning that is not almost exclusively reliant on highways and cars I say no more federal funds at all, but htis is just my opinion

Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Rail built through Dense areas and connecting large towns and cities will have high ridership. Like The Morristown , NJT Northeast Corridor , New Haven and Providence lines all used by 45,000+ daily which is European averages. All the Northeastern / Mid Atlantic states have agreed to restore and expand our Rail network to 1960s levels about 4-6,000 miles. Since it won't cost that much compared to building new highways its being pursued. Also some highways will be upgraded to Smart Highways.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
one question for you. don't give me any long nonsense either. Just a simple question and a simple answer. If The city limits are not getting bigger, but the developments are increasing, what other than infill would you call that?
Oh sorry, when you said "Houston" I assumed metro Houston, not city limits.....that's a miscommunication on my part. I live in a city (Minneapolis) that has such small boundaries that 3 million of the 3.5 million people live in neighboring suburban areas, so I'm just used to people calling a city by its entire metro area. My bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.