U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:14 PM

14,981 posts, read 16,561,821 times

Advertisements

They also speak English and like fiddle music, enjoy a good drink and whole host of other things.

A modern Ulster Scot and a Scots-Irish American probably have a lot more in common today than either of them have with their common ancestor in 1740.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 02:29 PM

53 posts, read 58,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
A modern Ulster Scot and a Scots-Irish American probably have a lot more in common today than either of them have with their common ancestor in 1740.
Aye, we both have the internet.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,978,485 times
Quote:
They also speak English and like fiddle music, enjoy a good drink and whole host of other things.

They probably have different preferences when it comes to sports and Scots-Irish Americans generally don't identify with political conflicts in Northern Ireland. As mentioned, the Orange Order is (fortunately) small in the US and July 12 is just another day.

But obviously they have more in common than with their ancestors in the 18th century....

Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM

9,589 posts, read 20,477,839 times
Quote:

Another way to look at it is maybe the Scots who left for America in the 1700s were the "real Scots" and the people who stayed were less nationalistic. I theorize that the descendants of those who died fighting the English largely left while those Walter Scott type apologist who benefit from Norman rule stayed.

Through history Scotland had a bad reputation for rebellion against "federal" government. England would send 3 men to Scotland to collect taxes, they would come back with zero taxes and 3 heads in a bag! That doesn't sound like Scotland today, but it sounds a heck of a lot like majority Scottish ancestry places in the US (like Eastern Kentucky)

A lot of Scottish American Southerners think they are voting against Obama and Pelosi, but they are actually still voting against Queen Anne and King Edward - they just don't know it. The distrust of Edinburgh and London has been passed down from father to son for 500 years and is now a distrust of Washington.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM

53 posts, read 58,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
were the "real Scots"
Are those the real Scots who are Descended from the Vikings or those who are Descended from Saxons???

Or are you referring to the Highland Scots??? because if you are referring to the Lowlanders? then, my friend, the real Scots would be Nil.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:13 PM

340 posts, read 564,039 times
I forgot this topic

What I find surprising is that Canadians are more aware of their Scottish heritage. 15,11 % of Canadian are of Scottish descent for a number of 4,719,850. While 1,9 % of American are of Scottish descent for a number of 5,901,932 and 1,7 % of American of Scots-Irish for a number of 5,310,756 .

I'm sure that Scottish/Scots-Irish Americans are at least 10 times more numerous than the number indicated but some people don't know that and they don't really care.
For me it's a problem of mass immigration, there are so many different origins that we no longer know where we come from.

In your opinion why Scottish culture is more present in Canada than the USA ?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 AM

20,598 posts, read 25,669,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
I forgot this topic

What I find surprising is that Canadians are more aware of their Scottish heritage. 15,11 % of Canadian are of Scottish descent for a number of 4,719,850. While 1,9 % of American are of Scottish descent for a number of 5,901,932 and 1,7 % of American of Scots-Irish for a number of 5,310,756 .

I'm sure that Scottish/Scots-Irish Americans are at least 10 times more numerous than the number indicated but some people don't know that and they don't really care.
For me it's a problem of mass immigration, there are so many different origins that we no longer know where we come from.

In your opinion why Scottish culture is more present in Canada than the USA ?
Scots made up a larger proportion of the British settler population in Canada than they did in the U.S.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM

704 posts, read 1,290,839 times
I can trace my ancestry on my fathers side back to Scotland but my family has been here since the early 1700's. Its hard for me to identify as Scottish American when my family has been here for 300 years.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM

2,176 posts, read 864,904 times
I am 70% Scots irish and I agree with some others theres probably a lot more scottish americans than what the census shows.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
Default Scotland is it's own country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Scottish are British. Scotland is in Great Britain.
Saying Scottish are British is like saying Canadians are Americans. they may share the same island, but they are two different countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or