U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:35 AM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times

Advertisements

I recently read a book written by current Virginia senator Jim Webb in which, among other things, he asserts that Scottish Americans - especially of Ulster decent - have contributed more to America than any other immigrant group and yet are nearly invisible. He includes both the cultural traits they brought as well as actual contributions in war or technology.

Despite making up between 20 to 35% of the Caucasian American population only 3% of Americans list "Scottish" as their main ancestry. As a genealogy hobbyist I am surprised how often people are surprised when I tell them their last name is Scottish.

Do you think Scottish Americans are the "invisible immigrants"? Also, why do so many Scottish Americans refuse to embrace their ancestor's heritage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:47 PM

687 posts, read 1,331,299 times
I think the problem is that a lot of Americans don't diferrentiate between the terms "Scottish," "English," and "British." I've heard people use those terms interchangeably all my life. I've had several friends whose families were of Scottish heritage and most all of them embraced their heritage or at least were aware of it. I don't think the Scottish are forgotten, I think they're often just misidentified as English or British by people who are not familiar with the distinctions between the cultures.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:00 PM

4,383 posts, read 15,034,219 times
I believe most Scottish Americans live in the south, but because they have been in the US for so long, they sort have dropped any meaning behind being Scottish and put it all behind being American. Maybe im wrong though!

Im mostly scottish though!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 7,044,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandstorm214 View Post
I think the problem is that a lot of Americans don't diferrentiate between the terms "Scottish," "English," and "British." I've heard people use those terms interchangeably all my life. I've had several friends whose families were of Scottish heritage and most all of them embraced their heritage or at least were aware of it. I don't think the Scottish are forgotten, I think they're often just misidentified as English or British by people who are not familiar with the distinctions between the cultures.
Scottish are British. Scotland is in Great Britain.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,148 times
My father was always ashamed to admit he was Scottish, I'm not sure why. He would tell people he was English. Some research of our last name proved to me that I am Scottish and I am proud of it.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:55 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,520,894 times
I can't forget the Scots because a pipe and drum band practices near me.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:58 PM

687 posts, read 1,331,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Scottish are British. Scotland is in Great Britain.
Yes, that is correct. Although I would be careful saying that to certain Scottish people who don't like being called "British." It's a touchy subject with some.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM

2,954 posts, read 6,212,467 times
I wouldn't be surprised if upon researching my genealogy I found out I had significant Scottish or Scots-Irish ancestry seeing as how much of my family's history is rooted in the South (my last name might be?). I think most Scottish or Scots-Irish have been in America for so long that they can't even trace their history back to Europe, so they don't care about being anything else but American.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:57 PM

9,583 posts, read 20,456,271 times
I doubt most ppl in the internet age are unable to trace any of their family lines back to Europe. My ancestors arrived btw 1620 and 1800 and Ive traced dozens of lines without breaking a sweat. I really dont know why ppl wouldnt want to know where their ancestors came from

Old 09-30-2010, 07:10 PM

5,530 posts, read 9,786,318 times
They're forgotten, like the English, because they are 6 generations old or older!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or