Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,982,107 times

Advertisements

My basic opinion is that every state has a southern accent except those in the northeast and west.

"Country", twang, etc to my ears all sound southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,350,360 times
Minnesota has a Southern accent?

Old 10-08-2010, 03:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,982,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Minnesota has a Southern accent?
Not them..but Idaho n other corn fields probably have some sort of accent.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,350,360 times
Idaho doesn't have corn fields ..... or Southern accents.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:50 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,773,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Idaho doesn't have corn fields ..... or Southern accents.
*Potato

*Californian

Old 10-10-2010, 07:28 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,863,408 times
When settlers headed West they tended to go straight West.

The Southwest received many people from the Southeast, especially after the Civil War.

In rural AZ you hear some Southernish speech but it's definitely not a Southern accent.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 AM

834 posts, read 2,811,490 times
Listen to the folksy, slightly southwestern drawl of Dr. Phil McGraw, the television psychologist. He grew up in Oklahoma and Kansas City.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:07 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,141,131 times
I've lived in some extremely rural areas in the PNW and southwest...in my experience, most southern accents I ever heard were transplants.
Millions of people did the "Grapes of Wrath" thing and moved west during the dpression bringing their accents. Even a lot of their kids who were raised out west said some words with a southern inflection as that's what they heard at home

So, yeah, I guess you might hear some "southern" out west...and not just in the rural areas.

Is it the predominant accent out west? No.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:46 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
Listen to the folksy, slightly southwestern drawl of Dr. Phil McGraw, the television psychologist. He grew up in Oklahoma and Kansas City.
His accent is full on Texas.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:21 PM

688 posts, read 1,482,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
People in the rural northern West will tend to have either a Northern (think Canadian, here - of course I'm speaking very loosely) accent or a 'General American' one.. and of course either variety can be informal (i.e., ending '-ing' words with '-in'', etc.).. a lot of that has to do wtih 'register' (or style/context), though. Having a sympathy towards the South/the Confederacy isn't really the same thing.. of course, there would be stats like '% of specific population sympathetic to X' (and these days the Confederacy is sometimes associated by a lot of people with extreme fiscal conservatism/libertariasm), but I've seen people online as far away as the UK with Confederate flags as/as part of their avatars or whatever. I could let that offend me, since I'm black, but I don't. Oh, and there's such a thing as a transplant from the American South, remember.

Where in the West are you talking about, though? Of course you will find Southern accents in Oklahoma, Texas, parts of Arizona and New Mexico, etc.
There is a group of people living in Brazil in and near Americana (in Sao Paulo region) that are called "Confederados", in that at least part of their ancestry is from Civil War area South. Over time, these Caucasian people from South have intermarried with locals, so person might have White Tennessean or Georgian, etc., mixed with Portuguese, South American rainforest Indian, Italian, possibly even black Afro-Brazilian. These people even have Confederate heritage events, rebel flags and all, often fly a Confederate along with a Brazilian flag. Anyway, have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.