Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:07 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times

Advertisements

I see deer very often where i live just east-northeast of Orlando. They have deer crossing signs on a lot of the streets. Sometimes they dart infront of my car, I've seen families of deer walk through my backyard before, and I've seen them standing on the sides of I-95 and I-4.. And thats Florida, a "low risk" state. I can only imagine a high risk state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 PM

35 posts, read 81,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Without looking at the data, it is safe to assume that New Mexico is near the very bottom of this list.
Because of it's sparse population? I think antelope and elk might be more prevalent. I was there last week and we nearly hit a large male elk. He was in the opposite lane on a two-lane highway but he would not budge.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
i honestly would have thought that VA, NC maybe upstate NY would have made the top 5.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:08 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Unfortunately, I thought it would definitely be NJ.
NJ has one of the highest densities of deer in the nation (as well as people)

Old 10-06-2010, 07:14 PM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I'm not shocked that my state was voted #1

there is probably 5 deer in my yard as we speak! LOL

Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't find it too surprising. Some of the top states are sparsely populated. That might mean people need to drive through rural areas more to get to where they're going and I think it'd still be fair to say deer are more common outside the major cities than in them.

Michigan might be surprising to me as I think it's fairly urban, but not too surprising.

Looking at the map it might be hard for me to determine the bottom five because some of the states are a bit scrunched up. The obvious bottom is Hawaii because deer aren't even native to Hawaii and I think most of the introduced animals to become pests are ones people could plausibly keep as pets or sell for some other reason. Anyway Arizona, California, Nevada, and Florida look like they might round out the bottom five of deer hits. I might be surprised California is so much lower than Oregon by the looks of it. Possibly it's that the population is so much bigger than the deer population and it's fairly urban. The others aren't surprising as such because deer I don't think go much for deserts or semi-tropical areas.

Michigan is not urban at all. Three counties make up the metro Detoit area where 4 million people are jammed in. The other 80 counties are all farms and woods. In the north of the state less farms and all woods are the rule. Hitting deer is very common here. I just hit one a month ago, I was on my way home from work and it bolted out of a corn field and up and under my truck. THe road is like a tunnel of corn, no way to see it coming. Deer carcasses are scattered on our roads everywhere. At night if you shine a light in the fields you see all the eyes looking back. Hitting deer is so common in Michigan that I was suprised we were not #1. I even hit a deer on my prom night when I was younger. 70 miles an hour with my dads new buick, tore the front end right off that car. I had to drag its bloody carcass out of the road while wearing my tux. My date was not impressed. Later my dad was not too happy with me either. Nothing I could do though, deer strikes are just part of life out here. I just hope the next deer I kill is with my gun during the deer hunting season this fall. Ive hit my share already on the road.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:43 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Okay, okay. The census does put Michigan as below average in "percent urban" but in my defense it's not that far below. Michigan is 74.7% and the US average is 79%.

Urban and Rural Population by State

Bear in mind I'm from a small town. So from my vantage point Flint, Grand Rapids, and Lansing are metropolitan areas that I would probably agree are "urban." Still I was a bit mistaken I guess.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Okay, okay. The census does put Michigan as below average in "percent urban" but in my defense it's not that far below. Michigan is 74.7% and the US average is 79%.

Bear in mind I'm from a small town. So from my vantage point Flint, Grand Rapids, and Lansing are metropolitan areas that I would probably agree are "urban." Still I was a bit mistaken I guess.
Most of the population may live in urban areas, but the vast majority of the state land wise is very, very rural.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
i'm surprised VT and NH are so different

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Quote:

Wow, 94.4% of both California and New Jersey live in an urban area, I would of NEVER thought (for CA anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.