Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM

9,437 posts, read 10,719,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Okay, okay. The census does put Michigan as below average in "percent urban" but in my defense it's not that far below. Michigan is 74.7% and the US average is 79%.

Urban and Rural Population by State

Bear in mind I'm from a small town. So from my vantage point Flint, Grand Rapids, and Lansing are metropolitan areas that I would probably agree are "urban." Still I was a bit mistaken I guess.

We consider Flint, Lansing and especially Grand Rapids to be big urban areas. However if you live in one of these smaller cities like Flint for example, you are no more than a few miles from the cornfields. Its very easy to get into the country from Flint or Lansing. These towns are reallly not that big anyway compared to Detroit area. Over half the population of the state lives in three counties. The only true urban living in Michigan is in southeast Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 AM

9,341 posts, read 20,689,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikle View Post
Because of it's sparse population? I think antelope and elk might be more prevalent. I was there last week and we nearly hit a large male elk. He was in the opposite lane on a two-lane highway but he would not budge.
Because there are not many deciduous forests in this state, and deer thrive off of eating this foliage. When you couple that, as you say, with sparse population, the result is going to be very few deer collisions. People in this state marvel at the very rare occasion when a deer is spotted. In New Jersey, they were all over, everywhere. The spotting of deer is more passe. When I was in coastal Oregon this past spring, again, I saw them all over.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,763,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Because there are not many deciduous forests in this state, and deer thrive off of eating this foliage. When you couple that, as you say, with sparse population, the result is going to be very few deer collisions. People in this state marvel at the very rare occasion when a deer is spotted. In New Jersey, they were all over, everywhere. The spotting of deer is more passe. When I was in coastal Oregon this past spring, again, I saw them all over.
I never really knew how many Deer NJ had, they are everywhere (there were numerous times I'd see them in my yard in Hackensack of all places)- I'm assuming it's the the vegetation and overly manicured yards- There's even families of deer right at the foot of the George Washington Bridge. NWJersey has the highest density of deer in the nation.
I don't know if you heard, but there was also a buck that ran through Jersey City that jumped into the Hudson River and swam to Governor Island in NYC.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:11 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,763,498 times
IDK where this is, but
https://h7azcg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1mtKhyxyJ0cvw9cSvZDTOCXcOcSbxluhuT4Syr0BL2FYiVJO_ rY-n9gSfjGFVA4qogXplLGfUtRUv58ikRLjrLBeR_3T0vAQ-BHEwKqovfJO6JfWRls3WBFVCrVPbDhOcf7y9qHmvDc2c/google%20hits%20a%20deer_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg (broken link)

Google street view has hit deer.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:26 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,731,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
IDK where this is, but
[
Just outside of Rush, NY. Google took the images out of it's database now if I remember correctly.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:08 PM

6,002 posts, read 8,986,312 times
Quote:
IDK where this is, but
https://h7azcg.bay.livefilestore.com/y1mtKhyxyJ0cvw9cSvZDTOCXcOcSbxluhuT4Syr0BL2FYiVJO_ rY-n9gSfjGFVA4qogXplLGfUtRUv58ikRLjrLBeR_3T0vAQ-BHEwKqovfJO6JfWRls3WBFVCrVPbDhOcf7y9qHmvDc2c/google%20hits%20a%20deer_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg (broken link)

That is funny!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 10,719,117 times
Quote:
IDK where this is, but

You can see the spots on it, definately a fawn. Looks alot like the one I hit this summer. At least this one is small enough that the damage to the car was likely minimal.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:24 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,399,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Really surprised me Pennsylvania wasn't in that top 5 list. A drive down a freeway there and you see more deer taking a dirt nap on the shoulder of the road than any place I've been.
Thats exactly what I thought. I have never seen as many dead deer on the side of the highways as in PA.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 PM

614 posts, read 1,757,994 times
Illinois is high like i thought, but a state like Arizona don't just judge it by those numbers. There is a low population number in the higher elevation areas compared to the desert where most of the people live and not that many deer live. But hearing from my relatives in the mountains of Arizona they all have a story of hitting a deer or elk.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,022,786 times
The way to not hit a deer is to slow down and be alert. Most people are so oblivious when they are driving a car that an elephant could be standing in the middle of the road and they wouldn't see it.

I have lived in Missouri for about 25 years now and I'll bet I have seen hundreds of deer but not hit one! Now, I did work for a lady once who had a deer RUN INTO the side of her car (it happens sometimes) so you cannot blame her for that, but 99 percent of the people who hit a deer are going too fast and not paying attention.

Remember also, that when you see ONE DEER cross the road, there might be more behind it. Always STOP and wait to make sure there aren't more.

slow down people - pay attention

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.