Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 03:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

Is the increase in the upper class and decrease of the lower class why we are seeing more Trader Joes, Whole Foods, and Fresh N Easy sprouting up?

Which grocery market is most popular of the three?

What other stores are growing in popularity with the increase of wealth? I also see more art galleries popping up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 03:58 PM

908 posts, read 1,828,480 times
More people are moving back to the cities and living a more urban and green lifestyle.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
I think people are tired of getting diabetes. People are more health conscious than they used to be. You will also see more "health food" sections in regular grocery stores like Jewel/Safeway/Publix also.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:07 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,458 times
I doubt that Fresh & Easy will overtake the others in popularity, since it's only in 3 states. In Milwaukee, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are both popular - neither one has their numbers out there for the general public, so not sure how one can determine which is more popular. I know that whenever I'm at either one, they're crowded.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:59 PM

Well Trader Joes has the most stores followed by Whole Foods and then Fresh N Easy. Fresh N Easy are usually catoring to the smallest wealthy population and then next amount of population is TJ's and then you have Whole Foods. It will be interesting to see how many TJs and Whole Foods and Fresh N Easy we will have soon.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Well Trader Joes has the most stores followed by Whole Foods and then Fresh N Easy. Fresh N Easy are usually catoring to the smallest wealthy population and then next amount of population is TJ's and then you have Whole Foods. It will be interesting to see how many TJs and Whole Foods and Fresh N Easy we will have soon.
Whole Foods is much more of a full service grocery store than Trader Joes though, the organic/all natural version of a Safeway...so generally they are much bigger. TJ's is more of a niche store with limited items most of their own brand (similar to Aldi, same dudes...). I.E. you can get a lot there, but not everything really...There is no bakery/seafood/meat/lack of big produce dept/etc. Whole Foods, though I can't afford to shop there as frequently as I would like, is easily the better store. Fresh Market is decent as well primarily in the south east, as was Wild Oats (which Whole Foods bought.) Pacific Market and Oliver's in California are pretty awesome also (better than Whole Foods IMO) Also co-ops like New Leaf Market (East Coast) is pretty good.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Costco has also been expanding recently. Um, and Target. I can't think of anyone else. It seems like we need to see more clothing store expansions. What about PacSun in downtown settings? Must those stores be in malls all the time? I like downtowns better than mall and open-air malls and outlet malls.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
The food you buy is the most important choice you make in life. Many middle and working class people are devoting more income toward quality food and reducing cost of living in other areas.

It's not just rich people shopping at these places, by far.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Eating healthy has nothing to do with economic status. The cost differential between buying produce that's been "truck-ripened" in route from Mexico and served up at WalMart versus grown within a few hundred miles and on the shelves within a couple of days at Whole Foods is marginal at best. Pass on a cell phone upgrade or two, or take HBO off of your cable menu instead if the extra $50 a month shopping for quality food is too much for you. Americans really need to get with it with their food choices.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Fresh Market (based in Greensboro NC) has a decent number of stores in 22 states: The Fresh Market - Experience the Food!

I was just there today...it's very Whole Foods-ish and it's been around for 30 years or so. They have expanded pretty quickly over the past few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.