U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 01:37 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,232,570 times

Advertisements

Often the assumption is that the Northeast and West Coast are the most tolerant and welcoming of gay people but it seems that the argument may be incorrect. It is obvious that most of the states that have made progress on gay marriage are in the Northeast but New York, the largest state, seems to lag behind and recent anti-gay attacks seem to support the notion that New York City has considerable homophobia.

The South is often identified as strong anti-gay due to the strong evangelical influence. But cities like Houston, Atlanta and Miami suggest that it is far less homophobic than parts of the Northeast. Does anyone else see a confusion of attitudes towards gays in parts of the country that would normally seem pro-gay or anti-gay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 01:49 PM

70 posts, read 65,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Often the assumption is that the Northeast and West Coast are the most tolerant and welcoming of gay people but it seems that the argument may be incorrect. It is obvious that most of the states that have made progress on gay marriage are in the Northeast but New York, the largest state, seems to lag behind and recent anti-gay attacks seem to support the notion that New York City has considerable homophobia.

The South is often identified as strong anti-gay due to the strong evangelical influence. But cities like Houston, Atlanta and Miami suggest that it is far less homophobic than parts of the Northeast. Does anyone else see a confusion of attitudes towards gays in parts of the country that would normally seem pro-gay or anti-gay?

I knew the second I opened this thread, I would immediately see the the name New York City.

And guess what? California has far more sexual orientation related hate crime than New York in #s and per capita (even more than Texas, South Carolina, Tennessee ).

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Why is California so homophobic?

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:28 AM..

Old 10-10-2010, 01:51 PM

654 posts, read 1,136,016 times
I don't think it's regional.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,414,459 times
You would think the north would have far more tolerance. But i guess Not

Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,232,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post
I knew the second I opened this thread, I would immediately see the the name New York City.

And guess what? California has far more sexual orientation related hate crime than New York in #s and per capita (even more than Texas, South Carolina, Tennessee ).

Maybe because California is 3 times larger than New York. But the recent attack on gay men in New York City seems to be consistent with other anti-gay hate crimes in NYC that puzzles me. Why is there so many attacks on gay people in New York compared to cities where one would expect such hatred [ie. the Bible-belt]?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:26 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,074,786 times
California=more gays + more people=more hate? Idk,almost doesn't surprise me.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:27 PM

70 posts, read 65,256 times
Quote:
Maybe because California is 3 times larger than New York. But the recent attack on gay men in New York City seems to be consistent with other anti-gay hate crimes in NYC that puzzles me. Why is there so many attacks on gay people in New York compared to cities where one would expect such hatred [ie. the Bible-belt]?
As I pointed out earlier California has more sexuality related hate crime per capita.

So the real question is, why are there so many attacks on gay people in California (and yes, per capita) compared to states where one would expect such hatred [ie. the Bible-belt i.e. Tennessee, TX, South Carolina]?

Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM

18,509 posts, read 28,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10013 View Post

I think the stats are high for Cali because Cali has large gay populations all over the state. The numbers may be low for S carolina because of the small number of gay people

Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,789,990 times
Quote:
You have to try to understand one thing Sur. It really doesn't matter when it comes to Red state or Blue state on this. The cities that become powerful play a significant role. It depends on how tolerant the cities and their respective metros are. The Houston Metro Area is more populated than 36 of the 50 states in the USA, and that's a massive sphere of influence by itself. Texas only has marginal overall influence upon all of its cities, by themselves they have more power.

For example Chicago and its suburbs have the entire state of Illinois on lock. Illinois can be a Red State but that wouldn't affect the way Chicago is as a Blue city. Texas is a Red State, but its conservative views aren't reflected socially in Austin, Dallas, Houston, & San Antonio. Fort Worth I want to say it does since it still feels pretty conservative but I know because of Dallas being near by they are pretty tolerant as well.

I've never really cared about states much, I know for you its important because you're state is uniform, what passes in Sacramento gets your entire state involved but coming from Illinois, what passed in Springfield did not matter to Chicago Area. The state wasn't uniform with many cities to the point where Springfield could even affect it.

In Texas, all the cities in the Texas Triangle function as one, each have something they specialize in, whereas in California Los Angeles & San Francisco can pretty much go being themselves without needing the other economically.

Basically to sum it up, if you live in a tolerant Blue city, it doesn't matter whether your state is Red or Blue then. I'm not gay, but I've seen a lot of people who are and they are happy in Austin, Dallas, & Houston. None have any regrets about where they live, and city wise that's important. What happens in conservative cities like Lubbock does not at all affect what happens in Austin or Houston.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,085,642 times
I don't think attacks are on the rise, I think they're just getting more media attention because of the boy who killed himself. It's the same thing going on with bullying right now. This always happens and I think it's sad that extreme things have to happen in order for a subject to gain attention. Extreme cases so close together can give the illusion that it's happening more. Remember last year and the year before with the little girls (mostly in Florida) that went missing and then turned up dead, very sad stories that got a lot of media attention.

Don't point fingers at New York or the South or California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.