U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 01:34 AM

150 posts, read 645,216 times

Advertisements

LA metro combined with riverside metro is at 18 million, it feels like ONE metro but yet for some reason they say its two different metros. the LA metro isnt growing that fast, but riverside is either the 4th or 5th fastest growing metro in terms of numerical growth. And I just dont see how LA and Riverside metros wont be considered ONE single metro in the future. As of now LA is still growing very fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
A larger foreign born population percentage than Chicago and we won't knock Chicago on it's diversity.
As a city in Texas, how can you be so sure that a large portion of that foreign born population isn't mostly Mexican?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:01 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
As far as the major cities of Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. I would say Miami and Houston would be around a tie. Miami is much more dense than Houston but they live around the car.

But the best urban feel in the south has to be New Orleans. There is nothing like it in the south.
As far as downtown areas go, I will agree that New Orleans has a much more urban atmosphere, but Houston is more urbane.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,652,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
LA metro combined with riverside metro is at 18 million, it feels like ONE metro but yet for some reason they say its two different metros.
Riverside is a part of the greater LA metro when using the combined statistical area number.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 AM

697 posts, read 2,024,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I never understood what the big deal is about metro areas. NYC will never be passed by any city in America for most people within city limits. Is the metro part of the city? No, so why consider it in the rankings?
The problem is that over the years, the city proper will incorporate suburbs into the city. This is the case with Houston; instead of building a denser population base at the core, they just incorporate more and more area and land into the city. Even your New York City was infamous for this, and absorbed much of the surronding area that became the 5 boroughs today.

At that time, there were no such things as automobiles, subway systems and such, and so cities were forced to become densely populated to survive. You were forced to work within a horse buggy or carriage journey away. With technological advances made within the last century, it was possible to live a good distance away from where you work which inevitably led to suburbs. Why would you want to live next to the dirty, smelly factory where you worked when you could have a lawn and a large house that was within a 20 minute ride by car?

Some cities just decided to add more land to their city limits, some don't. Some are not allowed to by laws, such as Washington D.C. which has a very small limited square mileage bound by law, and even the D.C. suburbs are split between 2 states (Maryland and Virginia) because D.C. itself is not a state.

Like others say, you just can not judge a market by the population within a city's limits anymore, and you never could since the 1950's with explosion of suburbs in America. It's a symbiote relationship, the city and suburbs feed off each other and need each other for many economical and social reasons.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:35 AM

2,880 posts, read 6,168,830 times
my prediction:

1. New York metro-26.5 million
2. Greater L.A. 23 million
3. Washington Metro-12.5 million
3. Chicagoland-12.5 million
4. Greater Houston-11 million
6. DFW-10 million
7. Atlanta-9.5 million
8. San Fran-9 million
9. Greater Toronto- 8 million
10. Greater Boston- 7 million

1. Population is pretty static throughout the metro except for another million added to Central New JErsey which will force the Philadelphia area to be combined with New York's. (Philly metro by itself an increase of .5 to 1 million)
2. Middle class exodus continues but international immigration continues until laws are passed to deal with it sometime after 2010. Another .5 to 1 mill are added in the coastal areas between LA and San Diego causing a possible merger (23 million number)
3. The metro already arguably includes Baltimore and is 8 million. I predict an 50% increase spread pretty evenly thoughout the area.
3. Metro only grows by half mill or a million or so. Most of the growth is only on paper as Milwaukee is added to the MSA.
5. Houston is the first on the list to see massive "real growth". Not just the jjoining of previously existing cities. Large amount of growth on into the 2010's
6. DFW-Similar to Houston just on a slightly slower pace.
7. See's similar growth patterns as its texas counterparts.
8. An increase of a million or 2. Largely spurred by Ex-LA's. The current MSA should include San Jose so I am taking it into account.
9. Alot of you probably did a double-take. No, my education didn't fail me. I predict that the U.S. and Canada will be the same political entity by 2030 (maybe later). Whether this is done by economic intergration, purchase, or military I have no clue. Millions of americans flock to Canadian cities (especially toronto). Mostly very liberal Americans and Americans already living in the cold.
10. Not much growth but the addition of the Providence MSA.

Most real growth will be in the South and the Southwest to a lesser extent. Many third tier cities in the sunbelt will be Charlotte, Miami, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, Phoenix, Salt LAke City, LAs vegas, etc. Some of these cities will have anywhere to 4 million to 8-9 million in their metros. I didnt include any in the top 10 list because of uncertainties.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:14 AM

35 posts, read 173,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
This is my list the top ten largest American cities in 2030.
1. LA - 26 million
2. NYC - 25 million
3. Houston - 14.5 million
4. Chicago - 14.3 million
5. DFW - 14 million
6. D.C. - 13.5 million
7. SF Bay Area - 13 million
8. Boston - 12.8 million
9. Atlanta - 12.5 million
10. Miami - 11 million
What's your estimate for Toronto?

Old 07-10-2007, 12:10 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
As a city in Texas, how can you be so sure that a large portion of that foreign born population isn't mostly Mexican?
I'm not understanding. I was just saying that Dallas has a larger foreign born population percentage than Chicago according to recent reports.

Quote:
As far as downtown areas go, I will agree that New Orleans has a much more urban atmosphere, but Houston is more urbane.
I can get with that.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:25 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post

1. Population is pretty static throughout the metro except for another million added to Central New JErsey which will force the Philadelphia area to be combined with New York's. (Philly metro by itself an increase of .5 to 1 million)
Just within the City of Philadelphia there are 1.5 million people. Won't the metro add at least another 2.5 million to NYC's?

I agree with you though. People forget that NYC is also expanding and will join with Philly. And LA's going through what NYC went through. They grow like crazy but it slows down. Pretty soon LA will be unaffordable for the average person. LA's got a lot of work to do if they want to catch up with NYC.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:52 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,168,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Just within the City of Philadelphia there are 1.5 million people. Won't the metro add at least another 2.5 million to NYC's?

I agree with you though. People forget that NYC is also expanding and will join with Philly. And LA's going through what NYC went through. They grow like crazy but it slows down. Pretty soon LA will be unaffordable for the average person. LA's got a lot of work to do if they want to catch up with NYC.
Actually the philly metro will add over 5 million (possibly more if it grows as well before they merge. NY msa is officially 18 million now but in reality it should be 20 million because for some reason areas in connecticut are not included. I think NY msa will add about 2 million in its entire metro (not including the addition of philly). NYC proper is supposed to reach 9 million soon and i see Central Jersey adding a million. Total-26-27 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or