U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 10:01 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Houston and DFW may have some serious issues by the 2020s as the economy transitions away from oil.
Both economies do not rely on oil anymore. For Houston, while a big part of it's economy is still hindered on oil, they have a fast growing medical industry, a huge seaport, and a growing IT and financial area growing in downtown.

For Dallas, they are a regional hub for finance and IT. Not to mention they have the largest airport in the region and a new port in SE Dallas getting freight from the West Coast and Houston.

As far as Houston with a category 5. It will cause damage. But it won't effect most of the city of Houston. Particularily those in West to NW of Downtown Houston. There will be some flooding throughout the city. There would be catastrophic damage to cities like Galveston, La Marque, Clear Lake, and alike. That's where the concerns lie because many of the refineries are there including the port.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 10:49 PM

3,981 posts, read 9,431,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Still, despite its flat topography and low ground level, because of the bayous and development, Houston has always been a city that doesn't really have a hard time bouncing back from flooding.
yeah, but if you get storm surge, thats a whole different animal...

Old 01-01-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Both economies do not rely on oil anymore. For Houston, while a big part of it's economy is still hindered on oil, they have a fast growing medical industry, a huge seaport, and a growing IT and financial area growing in downtown.

For Dallas, they are a regional hub for finance and IT. Not to mention they have the largest airport in the region and a new port in SE Dallas getting freight from the West Coast and Houston.

As far as Houston with a category 5. It will cause damage. But it won't effect most of the city of Houston. Particularily those in West to NW of Downtown Houston. There will be some flooding throughout the city. There would be catastrophic damage to cities like Galveston, La Marque, Clear Lake, and alike. That's where the concerns lie because many of the refineries are there including the port.
and therin lies the biggest danger. can you imagine a cat 5 with a strong storm surge, going up the channel, ripping up the chemcial plants, and pushing the toxic stew up into the city?

prob wont happen, but if it did...

Old 01-02-2008, 12:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
and therin lies the biggest danger. can you imagine a cat 5 with a strong storm surge, going up the channel, ripping up the chemcial plants, and pushing the toxic stew up into the city?

prob wont happen, but if it did...
Let's just say that a blow like that to Houston would be a kick in the balls to America.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Let's just say that a blow like that to Houston would be a kick in the balls to America.
theres a visual for ya....

Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 PM

4,909 posts, read 12,528,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
This is my list the top ten largest American cities in 2030.
1. LA - 26 million
2. NYC - 25 million
3. Houston - 14.5 million
4. Chicago - 14.3 million
5. DFW - 14 million
6. D.C. - 13.5 million
7. SF Bay Area - 13 million
8. Boston - 12.8 million
9. Atlanta - 12.5 million
10. Miami - 11 million

I have to disagree with your estimates capitaloftheworld.
Some of those numbers are way too high, unrealistic and impossible to come to fruition.Boston + Houston in particular are way out of sorts on your list.

This would be the order in the year 2030 based on the metro population percentage increase using the same % from 2000-2005. So if the same growth pattern from the past 5 years continues (which it wont) the numbers in 2030 would look like this.

1.NYC-Newark-Bridgeport,NY-NJ-CT-PA...24,600,000
2.LA-Long Beach-Riverside.....................23,900,000
3.Chi-Naperville-Mich City,Il-In-WI...........11,410,000
4.Wash-Bal-No.Va. Dc-MD-VA-WV...........10,870,000
5.Dallas-Fort Worth...............................9,397,000
6.Atlanta......................................... ....8,753,000
7.Houston-Galvestown-Baytown...............8,208,000
8.San Jose-SF-Oak................................7,546,000
9.Miami-Ft. Lauderdale-..........................7,495,000
10.Phoenix........................................ ....6,931,000

Old 01-02-2008, 06:52 PM

905 posts, read 2,582,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

I'm sure Houston and DFW have matured beyond oil, however, far as I know the rapid growth of those areas is still closely related to the oil industry. Houston does have a big medical sector and the seaport. However, much of the financial services companies in Houston are serving the oil industry. The same could be said for the seaport. I'm far from an expert here, but my impression is that oil is sort of the central pillar of Houston's economy, and much of the rest (with some obvious exceptions) is related to serving the big money in that industry. NYC's economy, actually, is sort of similar, with that pillar being finance. The difference is that finance will be here as long as there is capitalism, but oil's days are numbered.

I do think Houston will keep growing, especially in the next decade, and probably after that. But I think it's growth rate will slow considerably as the importance of oil lessens.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:21 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,776,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
Detroit is already making a comeback in population and Philly is losing, so here it is:

1. NYC-- 20,000,000
2.LA --10,000,000
3.Chicago--8,500,000
4.Houston--8,200,000
5.Pheonix--4,800,000
6.Dallas--4,600,000
7.Detroit--2,500,000
8.San Diego--2,450,000
9.Philadelphia--1,950,00
10.San Jose--1,920,000
Dallas at 4.6 million???? Hello we are at 6.5 million now. So your saying were gonna lose 2 million? Next you'll be saying that Los Angelas is going to annex Tokyo!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,069,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
I'm sure Houston and DFW have matured beyond oil, however, far as I know the rapid growth of those areas is still closely related to the oil industry. Houston does have a big medical sector and the seaport. However, much of the financial services companies in Houston are serving the oil industry. The same could be said for the seaport. I'm far from an expert here, but my impression is that oil is sort of the central pillar of Houston's economy, and much of the rest (with some obvious exceptions) is related to serving the big money in that industry. NYC's economy, actually, is sort of similar, with that pillar being finance. The difference is that finance will be here as long as there is capitalism, but oil's days are numbered.

I do think Houston will keep growing, especially in the next decade, and probably after that. But I think it's growth rate will slow considerably as the importance of oil lessens.
I'm just saying that Houston does not rely just on oil anymore. Many of the new transplants moving to Houston this decade have not moved there due to just oil. Many educated doctors are moving to Houston from around the nation and world. I agree that oil is still the biggest economy in Houston now. But no longer is the oil industry the dominate economy in Houston.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:31 PM

30,205 posts, read 67,358,468 times
Quote:
Yeah, and Chicago will also always be the fatter city.

I just knew this thread was going to be a bad idea as soon as I laid eyes on it. Lord Jesus...

Now, this can prove to all the moderators that it is indeed not always the people from Houston stirring up mess on this forum.
Why don't you and Steve-o just get into an all-out brawl already? We've been waiting eagerly for this to happen for quite some time. I also think Speedy_AZ and Steve-o are overdue for a fight. Steve-O, with all due respect Chicago is the American city I most dream of visiting after graduation, but you're often times unfair with your incessant bashing of both Houston and Phoenix. Believe it or not some people do like those two cities, just as people like me actually like Scranton, the 1990s runner-up for "Armpit of America." I'm sure even East St. Louis, Gary, Camden, Salinas, and Newark have those who foresee them becoming liveable cities again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or