U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson AZ & Leipzig, Germany
2,381 posts, read 7,767,037 times
Reputation: 3585

Advertisements

Water, water, where will the water come from for all the new people that will move to LA, Phoenix, and even some places in the southeast like Atlanta? Even northern California will be stressed to provide enough water for the growth numbers I see in some of the statistics attached. My area has seen maybe 5 inches of rain in the last 18 months.

At some point statistics based on past growth go out the window and real world limitations on growth kick in. Also we don't know what the affect the scarcity and escalating cost of energy resources is going to do to metro area growth. It might put a complete halt on exurban growth, simply because people will not be able to travel that far from home to work anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Reputation: 15860
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Water, water, where will the water come from for all the new people that will move to LA, Phoenix, and even some places in the southeast like Atlanta? Even northern California will be stressed to provide enough water for the growth numbers I see in some of the statistics attached. My area has seen maybe 5 inches of rain in the last 18 months.

At some point statistics based on past growth go out the window and real world limitations on growth kick in. Also we don't know what the affect the scarcity and escalating cost of energy resources is going to do to metro area growth. It might put a complete halt on exurban growth, simply because people will not be able to travel that far from home to work anymore.
The Southern half of the nation will simply lobby to steal water from the North. In this sense those of us in the North will be more susceptible to drought conditions in order to supplement the water supply in the South. It isn't fair, but as long as this nation's political power remains firmly planted in the South (look at how they rallied to re-elect President Bush in 2004 as a prime example), those of us in the North will have to continue to be at their mercy and whim. I don't know if I'll ever live to see the day when much-declined cities like Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Scranton, etc. are restored to their former grandeur as their residents continue to flood into Phoenix, L.A., Atlanta, Tucson, Las Vegas, etc. and then demand that their former hometowns provide them with potable water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2008, 11:28 PM
 
Location: San Antonio North
4,147 posts, read 7,238,927 times
Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
The Southern half of the nation will simply lobby to steal water from the North. In this sense those of us in the North will be more susceptible to drought conditions in order to supplement the water supply in the South. It isn't fair, but as long as this nation's political power remains firmly planted in the South (look at how they rallied to re-elect President Bush in 2004 as a prime example), those of us in the North will have to continue to be at their mercy and whim. I don't know if I'll ever live to see the day when much-declined cities like Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Scranton, etc. are restored to their former grandeur as their residents continue to flood into Phoenix, L.A., Atlanta, Tucson, Las Vegas, etc. and then demand that their former hometowns provide them with potable water.
Read the Texas water development board's plan desalinization. The reason why the south has most of the political power is we have the most residents and we are growing fastest. But stealing water from the North??? Why we have out own sources lakes, aquifers oh and the WHOLE ocean. Not to mention it would not be practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Henderson NV
1,134 posts, read 914,609 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
It isn't fair, but as long as this nation's political power remains firmly planted in the South, those of us in the North will have to continue to be at their mercy and whim.
I can't see how that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,981 posts, read 9,431,817 times
Reputation: 1171
have there been any studies on what the realistic population limits are for specific areas?

Phoenix for example. They are limited by the water they can get. So, even if they managed to get ALL the water from the Colorado, recycled everything, and kept all the rain water, there would still be a limit.


Do we have any idea on what the limits are for some of our cities?

I can't see Miami area getting much bigger. its running out of room...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Reputation: 15860
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
I can't see how that's the case.
How do you think President Bush was re-elected in 2004? Why do you think Mike Huckabee has so much support when he stands for blending religion and politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Reputation: 15860
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I can't see Miami area getting much bigger. its running out of room...
...or they could just plow over the Everglades for more cul-de-sacs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Tampa
3,981 posts, read 9,431,817 times
Reputation: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
...or they could just plow over the Everglades for more cul-de-sacs.
from what i understand, thats not going to happen. they are actually starting to rip down homes and let them return to nature...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
30,223 posts, read 67,365,623 times
Reputation: 15860
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
from what i understand, thats not going to happen. they are actually starting to rip down homes and let them return to nature...
That's completely unexpected yet much welcomed news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2008, 02:50 AM
 
Location: Henderson NV
1,134 posts, read 914,609 times
Reputation: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
How do you think President Bush was re-elected in 2004? Why do you think Mike Huckabee has so much support when he stands for blending religion and politics?
Talking about 'red' and 'blue' states, liberal and conservative, Republican and Democrat. The federal agency responsible in the future for the allocation of water to the states that need will not be so politically concerned. The states that have water will pipe to states that don't and sell it at rates governed by the federal government. I don't foresee any favoritism or price gouging being successfully accomplished, as this arrangement will fall under the greater good of the American people. What a wonderful country we live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top