U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 01:08 AM

50 posts, read 128,647 times

Advertisements

Everyone on this thread is trying to defend their city, and lots of people are saying things that are completely contradictory. The truth is, go ahead and try to predict all you want, but things can change faster than you think they can, and there is no telling which cities in 2020 will be bustling megalopolises and which will be proof that urban decay is more unpredictable than the lottery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 11:13 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,358,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDR1837 View Post
the Chicagoland area is pretty close to absorbing the Milwaukee metro area. So all I'm saying is we can't rule out the possibility that LA and Chicago might be competing for the #2 spot.
Milwaukee has it's own MSA, unlikely the Census Bureau would combine the two areas. Besides, the Census Bureau would (should) first combine LA with Riverside-San Bernardino, making the projected MSA population over 20 million by 2030.

Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM

5,643 posts, read 7,446,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
I think that Phoenix is more like 4.2 Million and 100,000 a year is probably all they will grow over the next decade. Growth is slowing in Phoenix and actually job growth is negative right now.
It most likely is closer to 4.4 million (when you add in the undocumented factor).

Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,991,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQgritz View Post
Milwaukee has it's own MSA, unlikely the Census Bureau would combine the two areas. Besides, the Census Bureau would (should) first combine LA with Riverside-San Bernardino, making the projected MSA population over 20 million by 2030.
Don't forget San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:26 PM

526 posts, read 933,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
Only 23 years until 2030!

Anyway, I think the New York CSA/MSA will still be the largest in the nation. Los Angeles will be #2 and it will be a distant number #2 I think, I just think that because of the out-migration and the housing values that they will not have population increase as fast.

Chicago is just under 10 million people now in their CSA and it will probubly have Milwaukee in the CSA in 2010 or 2020 so Chicago will continue to be #3.

Although, the Washington DC/Baltimore area will be a close #4. They are fast-growing and that corridor has about 8 million people I believe and is one of the most affluent metropolitan areas in the country.

I think Atlanta, Houston, Dallas will all be in the vicinity of the same size. Although, if the energy boom continues then Houston will obviously probubly be the largest. But then again Dallas/Fort Worth is quite a bit larger then huger then Houston, but Houston will more then likely catch-up and Atlanta will probubly slow before 2030. This is just a guess. All and all, for 5th place its a close-call between Atlanta, Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston.

Then again the Boston CSA area is larger then all four now, but they have very stagnant growth so they will likely be around #6 in two decades

As far as midwestern metros:
Chicago will always be #1
Detroit despite its economic failings, unless they continue for decades will be next at #2.

Minneapolis/St. Paul CSA has 3.5 million people now, but they are not growing that fast so they continue to be number 3but they continue to sprawl out and out more and more into Wisconsin and more and more density up towards St. Cloud.
They might be close to Detroit CSA in two decades if Twin cities metro growth increases to 1990s levels and Detroit's economy continues in the present condition its in.

#4. in the midwest will more then likely be a new Cincinnati/Dayton CSA they are 40 miles away have around 3 million people in their CSA's already. Cincinnati also has a very stable, good economy/
#5. Kansas City: It just seems like this metro areas is on the verge of a big growth spurt even though its far behind St. Louis and even a little behind Cleveland but then if Cleveland adds Akron to its CSA then Cleveland will be #5
im suprised milwaukee is not considered with chicago, its only 90 mi away bout 1 hour and 15 min in car not to bad i guess

Old 09-21-2008, 05:57 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
It most likely is closer to 4.4 million (when you add in the undocumented factor).
No its not, this foreclosure season will kill those predictions..

Phoenix will grow.. just not like it was.. i'm doing plenty of studies on that certain metro.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM

155 posts, read 407,115 times
miami will pass dallas and houston it will be metro in 2020 and atl will be number 5 miami going be number 4 in usa in 2030 i say miami will be 15.2 miami going be and miami poplation is not cesus right1.2 milloin people live there in city of 35 miles miami most born out nation so you know have be a top 5
[CENTER] [SIZE=-2]48 [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[SIZE=-2]Miami [/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]USA [/SIZE] [CENTER] [SIZE=-2]1.32[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER] [SIZE=-2]6.59[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Old 09-22-2008, 04:36 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money23 View Post
miami will pass dallas and houston it will be metro in 2020 and atl will be number 5 miami going be number 4 in usa in 2030 i say miami will be 15.2 miami going be and miami poplation is not cesus right1.2 milloin people live there in city of 35 miles miami most born out nation so you know have be a top 5
[SIZE=-2]48 [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]Miami [/SIZE] [SIZE=-2]USA [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]1.32[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]6.59[/SIZE]

Negitive! Miami will stay the 7th largest metro, or Washington–Arlington–Alexandria metro will pass it once again, there is no way..studies taken show that the Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington will continue to be one of the largest growing metros, that metro in particular has jumped 1 million something that miami's metro didnt see... Miami wont pass Dallas, Houston or Philadelphia in our life time... i know punk i'ma urban planner

The Miami MSA only jumped +8.09%
The Washington MSA jumped +10.64% more than miami..catching up again
The Houston MSA Jumped +19.36%
The Dallas-Ft.Worth Jumped +19.05% both way more than miami...way more

Old 09-22-2008, 04:48 PM

155 posts, read 407,115 times
wow ok i find this on City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1) gosh i not a punk by the way you are lack infomation let me help you out in 2020 miami is going be 48 in the world msa staus that means 4 in usa by msa miami plus miami is number 2 in the world etc with skyscapers all with those big plans so that growth will pass texas big cites metro City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1) so do the math punk 2030 miami have bigger growth as a preditctions miami going pass other cites with world class points i see it i known others cites doing there plans get some of world class like as a example dubai city planner i have two company that i work on its not poplaur but its going be forbes company soon before 20 years i have vision of it i know you have one also lol haaa

Last edited by money23; 09-22-2008 at 04:59 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM

6,865 posts, read 12,807,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by money23 View Post
wow ok i find this on City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1) gosh i not a punk by the way you are lack infomation let me help you out in 2020 miami is going be 48 in the world msa staus that means 4 in usa by msa miami plus miami is number 2 in the world etc with skyscapers all with those big plans so that growth will pass texas big cites metro City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1) so do the math punk 2030 miami have bigger growth as a preditctions miami going pass other cites with world class points i see it i known others cites doing there plans get some of world class like as a example dubai city planner i have two company that i work on its not poplaur but its going be forbes company soon before 20 years i have vision of it i know you have one also lol haaa
am i the only one who had a hard time reading this post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or