U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 07:38 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,327,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Imagine if that whole area filled up with residents. I thought you guys didn't like sprawl...I know I'd hate to drive 2 hours to work every day.
I detest sprawl. Unfortunately I'm one in a million. Many people are currently enduring four-hour round-trip commutes because the white-collar employment sector in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is abysmal (we're an area replete with "Joe Six-Packs," if you catch my drift, which leaves the rest of us out to dry). Martz buses between NEPA and Northern NJ/NYC are packed. I-80 between NEPA and NYC is congested at rush-hour. A commuter train is even being pitched between Scranton and NYC. The sprawl will continue until local elected officials bring us QUALITY employers along the lines of Boeing, Glaxo-SmithKline, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Google, Amazon, Patagonia, Goldman Sachs, etc. instead of Wal-Mart, Burger King, Blockbuster Video, etc. I'm not earning my Master's Degree in Accounting to make $20,000 per year, nor do I wish to join the thousands of my peers who make that hellish commute across state lines. This is why I'm relocating.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 10-22-2008 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Typographical Error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM

351 posts, read 541,083 times
Does anyone have a link to these predictions? I tooled around the census sight but I could only get current MSA estimates.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:19 AM

514 posts, read 667,150 times
Question say what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
Why does it have to be a bad idea, it is a very good topic to discuss. Some people like Steve-o have to take shots for no apparant reason. I guess people from the North just cant stand having southern cities taking over. Even though chicago is amazing, but it had its glory days, with DFW and Houston coming up, in very little time either one is going to take the third spot. If this was a Texas vs Illinois debate, then there would be NO debate, Texas is growing soo fast it wont be long before it equals Cali. Everybody on this thread is being respectful and civil, one person making a idiotic comment shouldnt make a difference.

Cali, as you call us, has at least 15 million more folks than Tex, as I call it. SoCal has almost as many folks as AllTex. Puleeeeez get over it. You guys are insufferable. Sure, DFW and Houston will continue to grow. DFW should grow faster because, guess what, it has no mountains, no coast, no next door other country, etc. Guess why Phoenix is growing faster than any? Endless flat land forever...

Old 10-23-2008, 01:25 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Cali, as you call us, has at least 15 million more folks than Tex, as I call it. SoCal has almost as many folks as AllTex. Puleeeeez get over it. You guys are insufferable. Sure, DFW and Houston will continue to grow. DFW should grow faster because, guess what, it has no mountains, no coast, no next door other country, etc. Guess why Phoenix is growing faster than any? Endless flat land forever...
Dude you need to calm your ass down, Texas is the fastes growing state so.. you do need to watch what you say, dont be upset that DFW is growing.. mostly every southwestern major city has mountains so chill its a forum dude

Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Cool calm down, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Dude you need to calm your ass down, Texas is the fastes growing state so.. you do need to watch what you say, dont be upset that DFW is growing.. mostly every southwestern major city has mountains so chill its a forum dude

Dude, Texas is growing only slightly faster than CA. Prove otherwise or be quiet. AZ and NV are the fastest growing states by %. In sheer numbers it's been Texas, FL and CA.
At the rate of present growth, Texas would have to add a million more residents per year for 20 yearsto catch us. I'm not bragging just stating facts. I want CA to decrease in population not gain.
And dude, I know it's a forum. duh!
And dude, I LUV NM!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:08 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,982,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan in san diego View Post
Dude, Texas is growing only slightly faster than CA. Prove otherwise or be quiet. AZ and NV are the fastest growing states by %. In sheer numbers it's been Texas, FL and CA.
At the rate of present growth, Texas would have to add a million more residents per year for 20 yearsto catch us. I'm not bragging just stating facts. I want CA to decrease in population not gain.
And dude, I know it's a forum. duh!
And dude, I LUV NM!
America's fastest growing states on Google Maps

5: Texas
Population gain: 579,275
2005: 22,928,508
2006: 23,507,783
% growth: 2.46

25: California
Population gain: 303,402
2005: 36,154,147
2006: 36,457,549
% growth: 0.83

It has been like this for the past few years, and i have lots of sources dude, i study crap like this all day at work. I'm a major in urban planning..

Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 PM

Exclamation yikes!!

[quote=bradly;5824982]America's fastest growing states on Google Maps

5: Texas
Population gain: 579,275
2005: 22,928,508
2006: 23,507,783
% growth: 2.46

25: California
Population gain: 303,402
2005: 36,154,147
2006: 36,457,549

% growth: 0.83

Good for you but you can't read or do math. I responded to a post that said that Texas would soon pass CA. You do the math. On second thought, I'll do it for you. If that growth rate were to continue, by 2030 TX would have added an extra 5 million more than CA. Projections on this site say CA would have 46 million, which unfortunately might be a little low but let's take the 46 number. TX is projected to have 33 million, which could also be a little high or a little low. Let's go with 33. That means that at best TX could have 38 million. 46-38=? Got it? You should get your money back from whoever awarded your degree.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM

521 posts, read 1,491,239 times
... I dont pay attention this junk math/science. Every state claims to be growing the fastest.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:48 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,302,853 times
Default This Is What I Meant.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Not at all. I live in NEPA, and the "Tri-State Area" (NY/NJ/CT) is now the "Quad-State Area" (NY/NJ/CT/PA) as thousands upon thousands of transplants are moving here and commuting back to work daily in NYC. I'll live to see the day when Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre are both officially annexed into the NYC CSA.
This is what I meant...The Major Eastern Seaboards Cities are never going to BOW to the NYC Metro Area ....and be absorbed into the NYC Metro...Philly isn't going for that...And Boston isn't going for it Either. On the west coast A Very Simular Thing Happened...Oakland and San Jose Fought To Maintain Their's Own Separate Metro's Area's....Independant from SAN FRANCISCO.....

Old 11-28-2008, 05:11 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,885,296 times
Just wait till global warming really kicks in... Then we'll see who's growing the fastest... Texas? North Carolina? California? Arizona? Hmm...

Northward Ho(t)!: Look out, Oregon, for a ''global warming'' land rush of climate refugees moving to polar cities in future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or