Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
And when you say always be a second city, you mean second to LA, which is second to NYC. Chicago has seen its heyday come and go.
Only to maybe come back again. Besides, Chicago isn't called the second city because it was the second largest city for a while. It is called the second city because a new city was built after the great fire in the 1800s. So in essence, it can still call itself the second city if it wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,193 times
Ohhh can I play too? Lets see,
Houston, .5
New York 8
Los Angeles 20 mil (Illegals had to go some where)
Where did all these people go you ask? Why to Omaha of Course
Omaha: 367,099,625 (In the city limits, shortly after Annexing Scottsbluff in 2010 Omaha reached out for the rest of the country, except for DC and LA)

Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Ohhh can I play too? Lets see,
Houston, .5
New York 8
Los Angeles 20 mil (Illegals had to go some where)
Where did all these people go you ask? Why to Omaha of Course
Omaha: 367,099,625 (In the city limits, shortly after Annexing Scottsbluff in 2010 Omaha reached out for the rest of the country, except for DC and LA)
I wonder what it would look like if 367 million people all relocated to the Omaha area.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:23 AM

The Burj Dubai would be among the shortest buildings in the city.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:37 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,984,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
The Burj Dubai would be among the shortest buildings in the city.
I couldnt belive how beautiful Omaha has become..I hope it doesnt get too big.. I pray the same for Albuquerque.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:00 AM

Yeah, I hope so too, unless its healthy growth over time of course.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:35 PM

256 posts, read 749,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
This is my list the top ten largest American cities in 2030.
1. LA - 26 million
2. NYC - 25 million
3. Houston - 14.5 million
4. Chicago - 14.3 million
5. DFW - 14 million
6. D.C. - 13.5 million
7. SF Bay Area - 13 million
8. Boston - 12.8 million
9. Atlanta - 12.5 million
10. Miami - 11 million
Well, neither Boston nor the Bay Area are growing that fast so I'd put Miami and Atlanta way above Boston. In fact, Atlanta and Miami are already well ahead of Boston, so I doubt Boston will come back ahead and surpass them. And the Bay Area is actually not the same MSA, it's split between San Francisco/Oakland and San Jose. Just as Washington and Baltimore are split and Austin and San Antonio are split, even though they form a little "region" of their own. You're using CSAs, not MSAs. Boston's MSA is only around 4 or 4.5 million right now, compared to Atlanta's 5.2 million and Miami's 5.4 million. Boston will not be ahead of either one any time soon.

Also, I don't any of them will be as high as that. They would be have to grow at least 4 million each decade, which is nowhere near the rate they're growing now. I think now they grow around 1-1.5 million per decade, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
I see your point, I might be off with the predictions of SF Bay Are, DC, Miami, and Boston. But you gotta understand, Boston actually has aroud 7 to 8 million people living in its CSMA so does San Fran, and DC is over the 8 million mark. Atlanta IMO will die down eventually, and probably would barely crack the 10 million mark. But Houston and DFW will grow faster than any city. Houston will grow faster but DFW wont be too far behind. No one can argue that Houston and DFW wont take over Chicago in metro population, that is almost certainly going to happen. At the end of the day no one can argue that Houston and DFW are future great cities, i predict by 2030 Houston will definetaly be an Alpha World City, and DFW will be close behind.
This thread has a crapload of pages, so sorry if you've already answered this, but just curious, why do you think DFW and Houston will keep growing the fatest but Atlanta will die down? I'm not being defensive I'm just curious.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the OP forgot Philly. Philly's slightly ahead of Houston at this point, but not for long!

Last edited by Sandy Springs Rep.; 01-03-2009 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention something

Old 01-06-2009, 09:32 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Only to maybe come back again. Besides, Chicago isn't called the second city because it was the second largest city for a while. It is called the second city because a new city was built after the great fire in the 1800s. So in essence, it can still call itself the second city if it wants to.
Right and you can call yourself God if you want to.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Default Divided By Ego's And Not Breaks In Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
Well, neither Boston nor the Bay Area are growing that fast so I'd put Miami and Atlanta way above Boston. In fact, Atlanta and Miami are already well ahead of Boston, so I doubt Boston will come back ahead and surpass them. And the Bay Area is actually not the same MSA, it's split between San Francisco/Oakland and San Jose. Just as Washington and Baltimore are split and Austin and San Antonio are split, even though they form a little "region" of their own. You're using CSAs, not MSAs. Boston's MSA is only around 4 or 4.5 million right now, compared to Atlanta's 5.2 million and Miami's 5.4 million. Boston will not be ahead of either one any time soon.

Also, I don't any of them will be as high as that. They would be have to grow at least 4 million each decade, which is nowhere near the rate they're growing now. I think now they grow around 1-1.5 million per decade, but I could be wrong.

This thread has a crapload of pages, so sorry if you've already answered this, but just curious, why do you think DFW and Houston will keep growing the fatest but Atlanta will die down? I'm not being defensive I'm just curious.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the OP forgot Philly. Philly's slightly ahead of Houston at this point, but not for long!
In the 2010 Census there's has to be a stoppage to this division of the San Francisco Bay Area into three MSA San Francisco..Oakland..San Jose...Oakland and San Francisco are seperated by the (Bay Bridge) please give me a break , why aren't they in the same MSA..someone give me a intelligent answer pretty please.San Jose front door and San Francisco back door are The Very Same DOOR..what seperates San Jose From San Francisco..The Width Of A HUMAN HAIR.
Boston MA Providence RI are totally different Boston is 41 Miles from Providence RI , and it's not wall to wall back to back development.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,817 times
It is pointless to argue this topic. There is only one source that really knows what is going on and that is the U.S. census. Here are 2030 projections (from 2004, but I doubt there have been major changes):

Population Projections - State Interim Population Projections by Age and Sex: 2004 - 2030
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.