U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2007, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Reputation: 9591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Wel...Dallas is obviously the regional leader in finance, but definitely not trade. Houston holds that with the Port of Houston. That port in Southeast Dallas County is in conjunction with the Port of Houston. The POH needs that to relieve all the traffic it has. The articles in Dallas saying that the boats will pull up to Houston, but everything else (customs, deciding where they will go, etc.) will be done in Dallas was clearly false. DFW Airport grew by 1%, while IAH grew by over 7%. IAH already has more international passengers (while having about 15M less passengers). NAFTA was going to run through Houston, but our leaders here didn't want it to ruin our landscape (it was going to be a fourth loop around the city).
True. I was kind of thinking that about trade. But Dallas is still a city that businesses likes to relocate to. The Dallas region is still an area that is experiencing great growth and it's still a huge market for the trading industry especially when you have DFW airport right there. I knew about the international passenger stat about IAH but Dallas will continue to lead in domestic because again it's location is one of the best in the nation.

Quote:
I believe that as well. Houston planners believe that three million more people will call Houston home by 2025-2030. That would put Houston at 8.6M in 2030. Houston's industries are more international/world industries than the one in Dallas (NASA, Medical, Energy). Houston may start growing faster than Dallas as these industries grow.
But at the same time, Dallas has a budding Medical district on it's own. With UT southwestern growing in medical districts as well as retail and residential units. It will be like a mini TMC. It also helps that the green line will travel straight through the area on an elevated rail.

What I and you are saying is that Houston and Dallas will probably continue to lead in the advantages they currently lead in now. Dallas economy is just slightly larger but Houston's is now diversifying (or should I say that the other way around that Dallas economy is diverse but Houston's is larger?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
 
Location: yeah
5,716 posts, read 14,585,385 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
7. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont 4,180,027 Must increase by ~8.1 Million
The Bay Area is greater than that one MSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Reputation: 9591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
That's not true. Houston has far more Asians than that. Just 4,000 shy of 300,000 for the metro area. DFW is more of a black and white region.
I never stated how many Asians living in Houston? Unless you believe that 700,000 of the 882,000 asians live in Texas reside in Houston.
But DFW is diverse. Not as diverse as Houston. But it's still a pretty diverse city. A larger foreign born population percentage than Chicago and we won't knock Chicago on it's diversity.

BTW, that 882,000 comes from census of last week. If any city is black and white, it's Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 03:52 PM
 
150 posts, read 645,527 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
I believe DFW will have the slight advantage because it already has 500,000 more people AND it's growing at the same clip as Houston AND it's not showing any signs of slowing down. In fact, it's showing signs of actually speeding up. DFW will also for sure pass the 10 million mark. It's going to pass the 7 million mark a year after 2010 and Houston will do so 3 years after that.
The past 4 out of 5 years Houston metro has gained more people than DFW about 25k more, if you count 2001 thats when DFW beat Houston by a big margin, but since than Houston has been gaining more people.
Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change
Houston has little something called the PORT OF HOUSTON, one of the largest in the world, DFW has nothing that can compare to the importance of POH, they have DFW airport, but thats it, even then IAH is growing alot faster than DFW and will catch up to it soon. Most people agree when we say Houston is more international than DFW. And again my strongest point is, not many dominant cities in the world are landlocked, london, paris, nyc, la, hong kong, all have access to the ocean as does houston. DFW and Atlanta dont. IMO the possibility of DFW keeping its lead in population is less than Houston closing the gap and eventually getting ahead. I'm not saying that DFW is going to slow down, because i know its not, its going to grow very fast, but Houston will grow faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 04:12 PM
 
150 posts, read 645,527 times
Reputation: 89
Quote:
What I and you are saying is that Houston and Dallas will probably continue to lead in the advantages they currently lead in now.
true
Quote:
But at the same time, Dallas has a budding Medical district on it's own. With UT southwestern growing in medical districts as well as retail and residential units. It will be like a mini TMC.
You said it yourself "mini" TMC. While Houston is the center of energy and medicine, what is DFW the center of? IT? no because that belongs to San Jose. Im just trying to prove my point, DFW is not the leader of any industry in particular but has various industries, while Houston is the world leader in energy and medicine yet its still has various industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,612,958 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
The past 4 out of 5 years Houston metro has gained more people than DFW about 25k more, if you count 2001 thats when DFW beat Houston by a big margin, but since than Houston has been gaining more people.
Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change
Houston has little something called the PORT OF HOUSTON, one of the largest in the world, DFW has nothing that can compare to the importance of POH, they have DFW airport, but thats it, even then IAH is growing alot faster than DFW and will catch up to it soon. Most people agree when we say Houston is more international than DFW. And again my strongest point is, not many dominant cities in the world are landlocked, london, paris, nyc, la, hong kong, all have access to the ocean as does houston. DFW and Atlanta dont. IMO the possibility of DFW keeping its lead in population is less than Houston closing the gap and eventually getting ahead. I'm not saying that DFW is going to slow down, because i know its not, its going to grow very fast, but Houston will grow faster.
And Dallas-Fort Worth grew by the wide margin because of the dot com boom. 2001 was the last year of it.

Port of Houston:
http://static1.bareka.com/photos/medium/365220/houston-ship-channel.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
2,703 posts, read 2,612,958 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I never stated how many Asians living in Houston? Unless you believe that 700,000 of the 882,000 asians live in Texas reside in Houston.
But DFW is diverse. Not as diverse as Houston. But it's still a pretty diverse city. A larger foreign born population percentage than Chicago and we won't knock Chicago on it's diversity.

BTW, that 882,000 comes from census of last week. If any city is black and white, it's Atlanta.
DFW isn't a city though . I'm comparing metro areas, and DFW isn't on Chicago's scale. At least I don't think it is. DFW is diverse, but like Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Reputation: 9591
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
The past 4 out of 5 years Houston metro has gained more people than DFW about 25k more, if you count 2001 thats when DFW beat Houston by a big margin, but since than Houston has been gaining more people.
Metropolitan Statistical Area (CBSA) Population and Components of Change
Houston has little something called the PORT OF HOUSTON, one of the largest in the world, DFW has nothing that can compare to the importance of POH, they have DFW airport, but thats it, even then IAH is growing alot faster than DFW and will catch up to it soon. Most people agree when we say Houston is more international than DFW. And again my strongest point is, not many dominant cities in the world are landlocked, london, paris, nyc, la, hong kong, all have access to the ocean as does houston. DFW and Atlanta dont. IMO the possibility of DFW keeping its lead in population is less than Houston closing the gap and eventually getting ahead. I'm not saying that DFW is going to slow down, because i know its not, its going to grow very fast, but Houston will grow faster.
You seem to not quite understand that DFW is not only a passenger port. It's a logistic port as well. It does alot more than just fly people around the world and country. But even I agree that Houston is more international than DFW. But Miami is also more international than than Dallas and I don't think Miami will ever catch up to DFW in population. So I don't see the point in bringing that up. Dallas actually does sit on a river that runs to the Gulf, if you didn't know. Houston's port is not the leader in the nation either. That belongs to Los Angeles. But it is the regional leader. Just like the IT field is the regional leader and it's still growing fast. But again, DFW area still has a huge port at DFW, another one in Ft. Worth at alliance, and another logistic hub that also receives freight from the west coast that is being built in South Dallas. As that is built, Dallas will receive more jobs and obviously, more people.

While Houston may have grown faster than Dallas the past 4 out of 5 years. They take turns in doing so. Dallas was growing much faster in the late 90s and earlier parts of this decade. Dallas could do the same in the beginning of the next. Dallas was the 2nd fastest growing area in raw numbers in the 1990s and it will be in the top 5 once again when this decade ends, along with Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Reputation: 9591
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
true

You said it yourself "mini" TMC. While Houston is the center of energy and medicine, what is DFW the center of? IT? no because that belongs to San Jose. Im just trying to prove my point, DFW is not the leader of any industry in particular but has various industries, while Houston is the world leader in energy and medicine yet its still has various industries.
Houston is the world leader in medicine? First time I heard that. Not saying you're wrong. But do you have a link on that one because I never heard that myself. But Houston is going through a boom in population moreso than Dallas. The reason why Dallas went through it's boom. The computer industry in the 90s. The reason why Houston has received more than Dallas recently, the oil industry is growing again. They take turns.

Quote:
DFW isn't a city though . I'm comparing metro areas, and DFW isn't on Chicago's scale. At least I don't think it is. DFW is diverse, but like Atlanta.
No city is in the south is on Chicago's scale. BUT, I'm saying that the DFW area has a higher foreign born percentage than Chicago and nobody would tell you that Chicago is a black and white city. But fine, DFW isn't a city. So Dallas is a diverse city. Maybe not as diverse as Houston. But it's diverse nonetheless.

But I do wish Houston was the biggest metro in Texas because it is the largest city in Texas. Only seems right, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2007, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,658 posts, read 27,108,274 times
Reputation: 9591
BTW, New York. That was a great link you provided. But you have to forgive me. I'm a population freak. I use to be the nerd who stood in bookstores or bookstands staring at the almanacs when growing up and looking at those stats so that's why I love the link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top