U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 08:09 PM

150 posts, read 645,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You seem to not quite understand that DFW is not only a passenger port. It's a logistic port as well. It does alot more than just fly people around the world and country. But even I agree that Houston is more international than DFW. But Miami is also more international than than Dallas and I don't think Miami will ever catch up to DFW in population. So I don't see the point in bringing that up. Dallas actually does sit on a river that runs to the Gulf, if you didn't know. Houston's port is not the leader in the nation either. That belongs to Los Angeles.
It really doesnt matter if POH is second to LA, which it is in overall tonnage, but its the busiest in foreign tonnage in the US. I really dont understand how and why you dont see the point in what im saying. Miami isnt going to takeover DFW because Miami has higher cost of living, their economy isnt as strong as Texas' cities. And Trinity River does run to the Gulf of Mexico, but its not used for anything as its not big enough, so there was no point in pointing that out. You speak of the DFW airport being big for DFW, but IAH is growing 7 times faster than DFW. I really dont know if you can make any other valid points backing DFW. Houston is a more attractive, and to an extent a more traditional city compared to DFW. I'm not saying for a fact that Houston is going to grow faster, but Im saying the chances of it growing faster are very high. Ok maybe Houston might not be THE center for medicine, but it surely is one of the centers for medicine. I think you think that Im trying to down DFW, which trust im not, im just pointing out that Houston is and will be more of a global city than DFW, and will takeover DFW in population. You cannot say that any points I make arent valid and strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 08:39 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
You and I both are making valid strong points. But what you are saying is that Houston will continue to be the leader in their advantages and Dallas will continue to be the leader in their advantages. Miami's economy is prospering because it is known as the Gateway to Latin America. It has a much larger international presence than Dallas does. That's why I brought Miami up. I don't care what their cost of living is because in reality, inner city Dallas and inner city (meaning the loop)Houston will not stay cheap forever themselves and we're slowly but surely starting to see that now.

I keep bringing up DFW because it is more of a passenger airport. It is used for many other things. Like being a regional leader in cargo. Handling over 60% of air cargo in Texas and it set records in cargo growth last year. It also handles a bit more. While it's great that IAH is experiencing great growth (I believe the fastest growing of the top 10 largest airports in the nation), it shouldn't surprise you seeing as how it was one of the smaller airports in the top 10. It has nothing to do but grow.

Houston is as much a center of medicine as Dallas is as much a center of Information Technology. See are we going back and forth on the strengths of each area.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on each other's opinions. I do believe Houston has the better chance promoting to the next level. But I do not believe Houston will pass DFW in population as they both are growing at the same clip and they both take turns in growing the fastest.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:43 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,607,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You seem to not quite understand that DFW is not only a passenger port. It's a logistic port as well. It does alot more than just fly people around the world and country. But even I agree that Houston is more international than DFW. But Miami is also more international than than Dallas and I don't think Miami will ever catch up to DFW in population. So I don't see the point in bringing that up. Dallas actually does sit on a river that runs to the Gulf, if you didn't know. Houston's port is not the leader in the nation either. That belongs to Los Angeles. But it is the regional leader. Just like the IT field is the regional leader and it's still growing fast. But again, DFW area still has a huge port at DFW, another one in Ft. Worth at alliance, and another logistic hub that also receives freight from the west coast that is being built in South Dallas. As that is built, Dallas will receive more jobs and obviously, more people.
Houston's port is more than just a regional leader. It handles the nations most foreign tonnage, and is the second busiest in total tonnage/cargo. I'll find the chart on Wikipedia later.

Quote:
While Houston may have grown faster than Dallas the past 4 out of 5 years. They take turns in doing so. Dallas was growing much faster in the late 90s and earlier parts of this decade. Dallas could do the same in the beginning of the next. Dallas was the 2nd fastest growing area in raw numbers in the 1990s and it will be in the top 5 once again when this decade ends, along with Houston.
You know, if Houston never declined in population (about 51,000 from 1987-1988), it would be much larger than it is today. It would be at 5.8 million.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:46 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,769,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great, Houston passing Chicago? Just another thing to inflate Texan egos.

Houston might pass up Chicago, but Chicago will always remain a far better city because, well, because. You can polish a turd all you want, but its still a turd. Chicago will ALWAYS be the second city.
Yeah, and Chicago will also always be the fatter city.

I just knew this thread was going to be a bad idea as soon as I laid eyes on it. Lord Jesus...

Now, this can prove to all the moderators that it is indeed not always the people from Houston stirring up mess on this forum.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Yes Spade, lets agree to disagree, but I think we agree on some things too. But in no way do the prices in inner city Houston and Dallas compare to that of Miami or any other major city for that matter. Yes I know the prices are going up but so are those of other cities, so in comparison Texas' cities will always be cheaper. As for the population i think DFW will be ahead a little for awhile but Houston will catch and get ahead due to all the advantages I mentioned. And when I mean ahead I dont mean by millions, just a couple of hundred thousand. All I am saying is that Houston has everything going for it self in becoming an Alpha-type city, DFW has some obstacles such lack of access to ocean, and lack of dominance in any one industry.
Quote:
Houston is as much a center of medicine as Dallas is as much a center of Information Technology
I would disagree with you there, because you can make a strong argument that Houston is the number 1 medical city in America, while you cannot say DFW is the number 1 IT city in America. Regardless of all this comparison both cities are going to give the Chicagos, San Frans, and Bostons the run for their money.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I just knew this thread was going to be a bad idea as soon as I laid eyes on it. Lord Jesus...
Why does it have to be a bad idea, it is a very good topic to discuss. Some people like Steve-o have to take shots for no apparant reason. I guess people from the North just cant stand having southern cities taking over. Even though chicago is amazing, but it had its glory days, with DFW and Houston coming up, in very little time either one is going to take the third spot. If this was a Texas vs Illinois debate, then there would be NO debate, Texas is growing soo fast it wont be long before it equals Cali. Everybody on this thread is being respectful and civil, one person making a idiotic comment shouldnt make a difference.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:07 PM

This may be of use:

List of world's busiest ports by cargo tonnage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2007, 04:33 AM

1,134 posts, read 914,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
This graph is useful only if you are talking about cargo tonnage, I just don't see Houston being a major trader in anything else but crude for its refineries. We're not talking about the eastern seaboard here, and we're certainly not talking about the major player Los Angeles is on the Pacific rim. If the port of Miami were any bigger, it would handle all the ' glamour ' stuff and , again Houston would be relegated to importing crude from South America, being located in the Gulf of Mexico as it is. Ports are international gateways and it helps a city's growth immensely. As to the discussion of population and metro areas, did anyone ever think about how people would be annexed from additional areas in the future? Los Angeles and San Diego will merge together in 23 years and be considered a single entity. Probably call it ' San Angeles '.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:15 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,722,400 times
By 2030, NYC will be joined with Philly's metro. That'll be a big jump population-wise for us us. And by the time LA catches up with us again, we'll probably join Boston or Baltimore and DC. East Coast cities are all clustered together.

I never understood what the big deal is about metro areas. NYC will never be passed by any city in America for most people within city limits. Is the metro part of the city? No, so why consider it in the rankings?

Although I'll more than likely be moving to LA, New York will always be my hometown.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:59 AM

Metro areas are a better indicator of the overall area. That is what most sports teams and corporations use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or