U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 04:32 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,606,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Taken from Wikipedia:

[edit] United States
In the United States, the term is a nickname for Chicago which refers to Chicago being the largest urban area second to New York City. Actually, in the late 1980s, Chicago was displaced by Los Angeles as the second largest city in the U.S. Chicago has embraced its "Second City" moniker and has widely accepted it as a shorthand name for the city; this is the origin of the name of the comedy troupe The Second City.
So what happened to the story about being rebuilt on top of the ruins of the fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,549,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
So what happened to the story about being rebuilt on top of the ruins of the fire?
Thats another take on the name, there are several. I guess you have to live here to understand....

Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM

150 posts, read 646,029 times
Quote:
The city's downtown should be its core, and Houstons core was quite boring. Not a bad city at all, just not Chicago. So like I said, no matter how big Houston gets, it just wont be Chicago.
You called Houston a turd, c'mon that was ridiculous. Im assuming your from Chicago, right? so you like the urban feel, well things are different down in the south. Houston is the most laid back city in the US. And people love it for that. I respect your opinion when you say you dont like it, but you really cant compare apples and oranges. And i really dont know what you mean when you say the nightlife wasnt good, you probably didnt hit the right spots. Houston has an amazing nightlife, now especially on main st in downtown, and then you got Uptown. you said that even if it got bigger than Chicago it wont be better, well LA got bigger than Chicago then it got better than Chicago IMO.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:58 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,785,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
They are part of the city. The city wouldn't be there without them. The city needs the suburbs, and the suburbs need the city. They all generally work together. A lot of those people you see walking around Downtown in business suits live in the suburbs. The city and suburbs are all one continuous area. Simple.
The way I see it, when you see that sign that says, "NOW LEAVING _________" you are no longer in that city. Point blank.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,785,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yes its harsh, but I call it like I see it. No matter how many people Houston gets, its still wont ever be like Chicago, thats what I was getting at. Houston struck me as odd. The downtown was odd, very spread out, not much to do. The suburbs were decent, but very sprawling, lots of cookie-cutters, etc, etc. I just didnt like the area, its just not what Im looking for. Its business and more business around there. The city's downtown should be its core, and Houstons core was quite boring. Not a bad city at all, just not Chicago. So like I said, no matter how big Houston gets, it just wont be Chicago.

As for the second city, yes, LA is technically 2nd when it comes to population. But Chicago has always been known as the 2nd city because NY is the 1st city and Chicago is as close to NYC as you can get in terms of style, nightlife, living, etc. Chicago is also called the "windy city", but its not that windy, not even close to the windiest city in the US. We get strange nicknames here.
Fair enough. And Chicago can try all it wants to, but it will never ever be like New York.

And for the record, "calling it how you see it" is overrated.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:29 AM

1,134 posts, read 919,420 times
No one in L. A. referrs to it as the second anything. Who would have that as a moniker for their city? Second city? Grow a pair of..something.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM

177 posts, read 565,094 times
I'm not a Sociologist by any means, but I just believe that some of these predictions are kinda whoa! I can't see New York not being the top city...I mean, it is the capital of the world. (God Forbid) but unless some major terrorist attack happens putting fear in the hearts of people that they stop flocking to the city, New York's culture and history are enough (I would think) to keep it as vibrant as it's ever been. New York is just one of those places that can re-invent itself over and over again. A piece of pottery continuosly being molded.

Bringing me to my problem with the Houston surpassing Chicago thing. Okay, population-wise, it may pass. But Houston can't compare with Chicago. I mean, Chicago is American History, like NYC. I don't care how big Texas egos are. I'm from the South. WE have our own history (good and bad), but New York and Chicago is like The Making of America or something. That's a feeling you can't get in Houston or Dallas, I don't care how much you look. There's something to be said for that. And that alone, I believe, will always attract people, businesses, and entreprenuers.

Again, these are just my two cents...you guys seem seasoned in this. But wow...some of these population estimates seem nearly un-sustainable.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 PM

332 posts, read 361,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hew2a View Post
I'm not a Sociologist by any means, but I just believe that some of these predictions are kinda whoa! I can't see New York not being the top city...I mean, it is the capital of the world. (God Forbid) but unless some major terrorist attack happens putting fear in the hearts of people that they stop flocking to the city, New York's culture and history are enough (I would think) to keep it as vibrant as it's ever been. New York is just one of those places that can re-invent itself over and over again. A piece of pottery continuosly being molded.

Bringing me to my problem with the Houston surpassing Chicago thing. Okay, population-wise, it may pass. But Houston can't compare with Chicago. I mean, Chicago is American History, like NYC. I don't care how big Texas egos are. I'm from the South. WE have our own history (good and bad), but New York and Chicago is like The Making of America or something. That's a feeling you can't get in Houston or Dallas, I don't care how much you look. There's something to be said for that. And that alone, I believe, will always attract people, businesses, and entreprenuers.

Again, these are just my two cents...you guys seem seasoned in this. But wow...some of these population estimates seem nearly un-sustainable.
That is "YOUR" opinion not everyone elses, but I see where your going with NYC becoming the second biggest city, it really wouldn't feel right to me either.

Why do you think Houston can't be compared to Chicago? I mean Houston is a big city I don't understand why people keep saying that.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:55 PM

177 posts, read 565,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmann101 View Post
That is "YOUR" opinion not everyone elses, but I see where your going with NYC becoming the second biggest city, it really wouldn't feel right to me either.

Why do you think Houston can't be compared to Chicago? I mean Houston is a big city I don't understand why people keep saying that.
Hey....no disrespect. But seriously...it's Chicago! I mean, iin so many ways, just like New York, That's American History. It was the largest American city for a long time before NYC took it. The history and culture there is vast and rich. I don't think Southern cities can get that richness those cities have. Given how young America is, those cities (Boston, New York, Chicago, Philladelphia, etc.) are almost our "Old World" cities. Modern America was tremendously shaped in those cities. Not saying the rest of the US didn't have a part in that. But come on...Chicago vs Houston? Again, no disrespect, but that's a whole other thing. I mean it's not a size or population thing I'm talking about, it's history & culture. These cities are American beacons. Yes, it's my opinion, but these cities have credentials that Houston just won't have.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:59 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,623,248 times
Chicago was never America's largest city. New Orleans, Galveston, Charleston, Savannah, those cities are just as old as any other American city. Houston started to build up around 1836.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or