U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,215,870 times

Advertisements

Ummmm... I'm guessing you had an unusual childhood in NYC.

No subways? Micro-climate? No beaches or nothing to do for 2 hours?

The subways, while dirty, are safe and will get you where you want to go.

While the weather is pretty bad, I've never heard anything about this micro-climate. The air isnt' any worse in NYC than it is anywhere else on the east coast.

And there is definitely plenty to do and there are beaches accesible by public transportation. You can even take the subway down to Coney Island and go to the beach there if you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:05 PM

239 posts, read 1,187,680 times
The subways are crowded, dirty and, okay--safe enough ... if you don't mind getting your butt feeled-up by some pervert. Plus the smell! I'm sure someone living in the Pacific Northwest will not like getting 'intimate' -- really intimate with a complete stranger on a hour-long subway ride in the dog days of summer. Again--cabs are the only way to go, and they're no "e-ticket" ride either! You can't compare the New York subways with the SF Bay Area's BART; BART is vastly superior.

Speaking of which, how long did it take you to get from "wherever' to Coney Island, Brooklyn on the subway? How many hours? I did that trip once, just once, from Queens. I swear, it took half the day, switching subway lines and all, to finally arrive at Coney Island. Was the trip worth it? No way. Coney Island is one of the most depressing places on earth. They've shut down half of it, haven't they? I know there is some developer who is trying to build some high rises out there and 'revitalize' the area but for now, it is the haven of down & outers. I doubt a person used to the inherently genteel nature of the rustic Pacific Northwest is going to want to hang out at Coney Island. [That's actually quite funny! ] I was thinking more like the Hampton beaches, which are clean, and attract families and 'nice' people. Even certain parts of the Rockaway beaches would be better than CONEY ISLAND!

That you never heard of the environmental effect caused by high rise buildings / skyscrapers doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I believe it is known as "Urbant Heat Island Effect." I have heard about it throughout the years through various media. About.com has this to say about this very thing:

"Dealing With NYC Summer Temperatures
I was surprised to read today that because the City is constructed largely of asphalt, concrete and metal, it can mean that temperatures in NYC are as much as 10 degrees warmer than surrounding areas. Summer always *feels* hotter in NYC, but I'm happy to know that there's some reason behind it. The City of New York has put together a helpful brochure loaded with advice about dealing with the summer heat called Beat The Heat. ..."
Dealing With NYC Summer Temperatures

Your statement that NYC's air quality is no worse than "anywhere else along the east coast" is just flat out wrong. You mean to tell me that Portland, Maine's air quality is as bad as Manhattan's? Or any town in New Hampshire? Or Vermont? Or....?

In any event, the comparison wasn't with 'other east coast areas,' it was with San Francisco. The last I heard, that was on the west coast.

Of course there is plenty to do in NYC. I never said there wasn't. There is just more and better things to do in San Francisco. You ought to visit it sometime and see what I mean.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:07 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,919,821 times
Manhattan or Frisco = "Old money or new money". I'd choose San Francisco. Nowhere near as run-down as Manhattan and in much better shape.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:11 AM

333 posts, read 1,332,980 times
bart? bart is more like a suburban commuter line than an urban subway. it's good for getting across the bay or getting downtown, but not so much other areas of the city. and while trolleys are neat, they're in traffic along with buses. i'd still prefer a real subway like that of nyc's or chicago's any day.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,372,967 times
This is an easy decision for me, NYC all the way.

I was stuck in Monterey for over two years and visited san fran a couple times. I have really sensitive smelling and the fish smell made me sick and the garbage smell in china town even got to my wife and kids.
I don't know how people can call san fran open minded. Only way you can say that is if you're as far left minded as them. If you aren't then you're automatically labeled closed minded and ignorant.. California "education" system doesn't allow the residents to see the irony in that...

NYC is far from good smelling and has more than it's share of issues, but it's beautiful to me. I love how huge it is and there's EVERYTHING you could ever want somewhere. Subway system is perfect for someone like me that hates driving and there are all four seasons.

San fran definitely has better scenery as far as nature is concerned and it's nice to wear a sweater in July and August while the rest of the country is burning up.. It would be near the bottom of my list on places I'd like to live though

Old 07-06-2007, 08:40 AM

333 posts, read 1,332,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I don't know how people can call san fran open minded. Only way you can say that is if you're as far left minded as them. If you aren't then you're automatically labeled closed minded and ignorant.. California "education" system doesn't allow the residents to see the irony in that...
agreed. as a liberal, i'm ashamed of sf culture. thought-controlling, p.c., latte liberalism to the extreme. too in love with its own perfection to be as engaged as it could be with issues in the rest of the country. imo.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,372,967 times
wow, I'm impressed by that.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:18 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,588,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2NYC? View Post
agreed. as a liberal, i'm ashamed of sf culture. thought-controlling, p.c., latte liberalism to the extreme. too in love with its own perfection to be as engaged as it could be with issues in the rest of the country. imo.
Not only that, but apparently protests (and the inevitable riots) actually solve world issues.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:52 PM

157 posts, read 632,792 times
I have lived in Manhattan (West Village) and San Fran (Sunset).

It is funny my wife likes Manhattan, I prefer San Fran we are polar opposites when it comes to the cities.

I loved NYC, for the first year. Then when I had exhausted every eatery, cafe, museum and bar there were, I got the feeling the only thing to really do in Manhattan is : Shop and Eat. Now it is really good shopping and eating...the best actually.

But for me, San Fran allows you to do most of what NYC does, and much much more. San Fran has an intense outdoor life, unmatched by anything near NYC (renting a car for 150 a day and driving to the Poconos is no match). San Fran has good food (not the great food NYC has) and good shopping (not like NYC).

I would break it all down like this:

NYC:
Dining - Nothing in America compares with NYC's food..hands down.
Shopping - Women love NYC for this reason alone lol.
Public Transit - NYC's is dirty, loud and somewhat dangerous...but it works and goes everywhere.
Financial Jobs - The Mecca.
History - NYC is vast in comparison.
Arts and Theatre - NYC winner, but barely.

San Fran:
Outdoor life - Hands down winner, NYC has nothing to offer that can compare.
Schools and Universities - Intelligent folks live here.
Tech Jobs - The Mecca.
Weather - NYC cannot compare.
Cost - I give the nod to San Fran, simply because there are so many free things to do, and NYC all costs $$$
Diversity - It is tough, but I give SF the edge in diversity. The key here, is diversity that actually get along and live with each other. NYC is racially segregated. While SF tend to be much more liberal and relaxed people.

Overall beauty - In in the eye of the beholder, I like trees, cliffs and oceans; my wife likes flashing lights, fashion and statues.

San Fran is much more "forward thinking" City IMO. NYC seems trapped in history.

Overall winner: San Fran
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or