U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 04:16 PM

469 posts, read 2,557,487 times

Advertisements

I lived in Glendale for 3 months this summer, and I was underwhelmed. The Californians I'd met raved about how wonderful L.A. was, and how exciting it all was. The beaches weren't as nice as the ones on the Gulf of Mexico, everything was way too expensive, the constant threat of wildfires was frightening, and the Los Angelenos themselves were surprisingly insular and not as open-minded and sophisticated as I'd hoped. A shocking number of the people I worked with had either never been outside of California, or had maybe visited Las Vegas, but hadn't spent any significant time outside of their comfort zone. One seriously asked me why I had an accent (I'm from Mississippi. Why do you think I have an accent, lady? ). Oh, and the lovely yellow cloud of smog overhanging the city -- I worked at a summer camp, and half the kids had asthma. Sickliest bunch of young'uns I've ever seen.

Yeah, the weather is mild, but it rained once in 3 months, more of a sprinkle really, and the dust choked me. As for nightlife, you can do pretty much the same stuff in L.A. as you do in any big city, go to a club, a bar, a restaurant, or a concert. Hollywood is a lot trashier and less glamorous than I'd hoped. I found plenty of rednecks out in California, too, I once saw some towels for sale on the side of the road that had, I swear, the following decorations:
-- An American flag wrapped around the Statue of Liberty
-- A marijuana leaf
-- And a Rebel Flag

One right after the other. That's some redneckery right there, y'all. The best part of my stay in California was that I found me a sweetie Californian boy who thinks my accent is sexy (actually, most of the guys told me how cute my accent was -- the girls were quick to tell me how stupid I sounded). All in all I didn't actually dislike Los Angeles, I just found it a big letdown from what my friends had told me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 04:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,485,839 times
I love how the end she says " i found me a sweetie california boy who thinks my accent is sexy". You don't know it lady, maybe its cause your from mississippi, but that right there personifies a female in LA. You rant and rave about how its such a bad place (even though you are from mississippi which is one of the few places that ranks lower than california in just about everything) and yet you value that tanned skinned, laid back, california boy who thinks your accent is cute. YOU ARE LOS ANGELES!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Huh? I didn't say I hated L.A. -- in fact, I stated that I didn't dislike it at all, I just found it not as great as everyone made it sound. If that makes me a Los Angeleno by your logic, well, I guess that's what I am.

If anything, I think that if people are moving to SoCal or L.A. looking for that mythical land of sunshine, beautiful people, and glamorous lifestyle that California's been hyped to have, they may find some of that, but they'll also find the same rednecks, poverty, and bad weather as they found back home. It's not a magical lalaland where in a week you'll own a giant McMansion with a beach on one side and a celebrity neighbor on the other (well, maybe if you have massive $$$$ you will). It has its upsides and downsides like everywhere else.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,653,556 times
There's a similar thread in the LA Forum asking the same question and I think the following statement pretty much sums it up for folks who are drawn to LA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
I think this is a great question, especially as LA gets such a bad rap from people who do not live here. I remember when I was living in San Diego getting ready to move to LA and someone from SD spat, "I just want to shower immediately when I get back from LA." Of course I was thinking, "I just want to kill myself from boredom from the lack of exciting conversations and dead energy in San Diego." (No offense San Diego! I love SD. It is stunning and lovely. It was just not stimulating enough for me.)

Los Angeles simply speaking has it all. If you are wealthy or have a nice income it is paradise--anything and everything is available and there is no judgment about it. Period. People aspire here . . . to everything. There is no shame at wanting it all and going for it. It is one reason many people move here. Top universities (plural!), variety of educational institutions, extreme multiculturalism, extreme wealth, variety of health and lifestyle choices and services, variety of churches, artists, ways of working, incredible opportunity. Variety of faiths. Amazing, distinct (many world renown) neighborhoods, parks, museums, locations that have deep history that rest not only in the cells of the city, but in the bones of the larger U.S. culture.

Los Angeles is the second largest city in the U.S. It is the epicenter of film, specific arts and does define fashion and trends. It is the land of opportunity and the land of the unrestrained. There are many seekers and spiritual people here who want desperatly to make an impact, while others aspire to mass attention and money. There are the very talented, the very famous, the very narcisistic, the very ambitious, and those that just enjoy all the city has to offer and go about their business content with the smaller achievements of the day. It is a beautiful and exciting place with many micro climates and many sub cultures. It is vibrant. It is Los Angeles. Love it or hate it Los Angeles never strays far from the nation's mind or from its conversations, whether it be a movie they go to see, a television program they watch, or a book they pick up. Angelenos impact the world and that will never change.

The city vibrates with this knowledge of itself as do her residents--past, present, and future, pushing always forward.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,464,052 times
My parents moved us there in 1950 because Calfornia was the place way back then. As far as geography and weather, I believe it still is, but it's not the sweet area it was many years ago. I must admit though, I wish I had never left "home." Oh well, choices made aren't always the wisest.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:55 PM

And in all fairness you were not even in LA you were in glendale, which is a hike from everything exciting.

What beaches did you go to. Were you sitting at venice beach with all the wierdos, or were you in beautiful malibu. Two completely different places. We've got a whole western boarder that is coastline, I cant immagine some one tryign to seriously write off the whole coast line. What were you sitting off the port of san pedro?????

Lol ive never heard anyone say the "constant threat of wild fires" when regarding california. Especially since wildfires can not be a constant threat due to the fact that different things such as sunlight, time of day, wind, temperature, percipitation all have an effect on whether or not fires will happen.

You talk of people who have never left california, as if there arnt people who have never left dixie. Come on now.

And nightlife in hollywood trashy and less glamorous, i could agree with that. How ever you have to remember most hollywood stars come from modest upbringings east of the mississippi, and are now exposed to the fast life. Personally i think for the most part, they don't act any different than any other low class/middle class person who has just become wealthy. People who don't grow up with money tend to flaunt it more.

and the redneck thing get over it. I mean this is funny coming from someone from mississippi, where the klan is still taken seriously in some parts. So you saw a rebel flag on a towel, big friggen deal. Its not like Californian's are draping themselves in ku klux klan bed sheets claiming the south will rise again....

I personally think its just envoque to hate LA and what it repersents. and california for that matter. its just what you do if you dont know much better. Kind of like being a yankees fan and not having any ties to new york, or a being cowboys fan but never even stepping foot in texas. It can be hard for a state to live up to a reputation when you have outof staters expecting it to be 100% perfect.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatealoneskatetogether View Post
And in all fairness you were not even in LA you were in glendale, which is a hike from everything exciting.

What beaches did you go to. Were you sitting at venice beach with all the wierdos, or were you in beautiful malibu. Two completely different places. We've got a whole western boarder that is coastline, I cant immagine some one tryign to seriously write off the whole coast line. What were you sitting off the port of san pedro?????

Lol ive never heard anyone say the "constant threat of wild fires" when regarding california. Especially since wildfires can not be a constant threat due to the fact that different things such as sunlight, time of day, wind, temperature, percipitation all have an effect on whether or not fires will happen.

You talk of people who have never left california, as if there arnt people who have never left dixie. Come on now.

And nightlife in hollywood trashy and less glamorous, i could agree with that. How ever you have to remember most hollywood stars come from modest upbringings east of the mississippi, and are now exposed to the fast life. Personally i think for the most part, they don't act any different than any other low class/middle class person who has just become wealthy. People who don't grow up with money tend to flaunt it more.

and the redneck thing get over it. I mean this is funny coming from someone from mississippi, where the klan is still taken seriously in some parts. So you saw a rebel flag on a towel, big friggen deal. Its not like Californian's are draping themselves in ku klux klan bed sheets claiming the south will rise again....

I personally think its just envoque to hate LA and what it repersents. and california for that matter. its just what you do if you dont know much better. Kind of like being a yankees fan and not having any ties to new york, or a being cowboys fan but never even stepping foot in texas. It can be hard for a state to live up to a reputation when you have outof staters expecting it to be 100% perfect.
Once again, just to clarify, I didn't say I hated L.A., just that I was underwhelmed. I am ultimately glad that I spent a summer there and got to experience the culture of West Coast USA. A lot of what I said is meant in a very lighthearted way, so if I badly offended anyone, I apologize. But no, I did not find L.A. to have a surplus of charm or beauty.

Out in Glendale, we very much were in constant danger of being burnt up by a wildfire. Our local fire marshal lived down the street from us, and he said that if the fire alarms sounded, we had about four minutes to make it to the fire road. The area was so dry that it was a tinderbox.

As for beaches, I visited Venice, the Long Beach area, Dockweiler, and the coast of Monterey (which was very scenic, but spoiled by the smell of rotting seaweed -- ewwww!). As for Hollywood being trashy, I saw lots of sex shops, strip joints, etc. there. I imagined there would be more high-end stores, but my friends told me you have to go to Beverly Hills for that.

The redneckery I talked about is present, not so much in downtown L.A., but yeah, you can find mulleted folks driving pickups. I don't particularly have anything against rednecks, who are often hardworking people, but it's not as if everyone in SoCal is gorgeous, tanned, and yuppie. I heard quite a few people yelling racial slurs, including the "N word", and embarassingly, a couple of times those words came from people I was out exploring the city with. I talked to them and told them to knock it off, and they were apologetic. Didn't stop them from saying it in the first place!

If that's your impression of the South, well, it's inaccurate. That's all I'm going to say, since this thread is about California and L.A. Find another one of the many, many threads about the Deep South.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Once again, just to clarify, I didn't say I hated L.A., just that I was underwhelmed. I am ultimately glad that I spent a summer there and got to experience the culture of West Coast USA. A lot of what I said is meant in a very lighthearted way, so if I badly offended anyone, I apologize. But no, I did not find L.A. to have a surplus of charm or beauty.

Out in Glendale, we very much were in constant danger of being burnt up by a wildfire. Our local fire marshal lived down the street from us, and he said that if the fire alarms sounded, we had about four minutes to make it to the fire road. The area was so dry that it was a tinderbox.

As for beaches, I visited Venice, the Long Beach area, Dockweiler, and the coast of Monterey (which was very scenic, but spoiled by the smell of rotting seaweed -- ewwww!). As for Hollywood being trashy, I saw lots of sex shops, strip joints, etc. there. I imagined there would be more high-end stores, but my friends told me you have to go to Beverly Hills for that.

The redneckery I talked about is present, not so much in downtown L.A., but yeah, you can find mulleted folks driving pickups. I don't particularly have anything against rednecks, who are often hardworking people, but it's not as if everyone in SoCal is gorgeous, tanned, and yuppie. I heard quite a few people yelling racial slurs, including the "N word", and embarassingly, a couple of times those words came from people I was out exploring the city with. I talked to them and told them to knock it off, and they were apologetic. Didn't stop them from saying it in the first place!

If that's your impression of the South, well, it's inaccurate. That's all I'm going to say, since this thread is about California and L.A. Find another one of the many, many threads about the Deep South.
i will try to make this more clear as to why i am confused..
you keep saying you were in constant danger, as if there really WAS A FIRE. let ME TELL YOU constant danger, when i was driving on 580 through the altamont pass, there was a grass fire on both sides of the freeway, this caused a truck to catch fire, smoke was so heavy that there was about 2feet of visability, it was pretty much as thick as tulare fog and traffic was at a near standstill. all the while planes over head and firemen faught bravley to quell the flames. NOW That IS DANGER. What you were in was an unseasonably dry summer up in the glendale in the rolling hills. Nothing even happend, so it was more of a "watch" than a warning. I don't know what you call a constant threat, but i cant see how the threat is constant when there was NO FIRE out that way to begin with. Talk to someone on the way side of the santa ana winds , thats a bit more of a constant threat.

All the beaches you visited are in the heart of so cal. Your not going to find a quality beach in an urban mecca, i don't care what city it is. And monterey is stunning.because its further north. and as hard is it is to believe the sea does have seaweed.

as far as everyone not being gourgous, no one said everyone was gourgous, this just seems to be somthing out of staters assume for some reason.:

I find it funny too that you talk about racist people, when in reality those were the people you were in company with. You are only as good as the company you keep.

And i wasn't trying to stereotype the south, i havent been to much of the south. I was merley pointing out that you seemed to be making a big fuss about some "rednecks", when your from mississippi which im sure has its FAIR SHARE of "rednecks".

Old 09-23-2007, 05:49 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
My God. LET IT GO.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:14 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,177,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I
Also, for such an expensive place to live, I saw too many houses where you could stick your head out of your bedroom window and hand your neighbor in his bedroom a cup of coffee. I find having windows facing other people's windows (within spitting distance), creepy.
This is a matter of taste. I find living on a large lot isolated from neighbors creepy. I spent a night 2 weeks ago on a farm and slept for about an hour. The quiet, darkness and feeling of isolation really creeped me out. Having always lived in a large city, I feel more comfortable being really close to my neighbors. Chatting over the backyard fence. Waving to each other from our kitchen windows. Going in front of the house and seeing people, hearing sounds of life. I've always felt safer this way and like the community feeling of it.

As far as LA goes, I see its allure. California is a beautiful state; ocean, mountains, valleys and desert. Mild climate, good job market, close to world class wineries, etc. If I could afford it, I'd give it a try for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or