U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,383 posts, read 27,574,892 times
Reputation: 6540

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
East Coasters, Chicagoans, and Houstonians like to skip the West and stay in the safer East. The West seems to attract losers, that's why the East Coast remains as the centre of power and money; the two important things in life.
The "safer East?" Do you realize that some of the safest cities are out West? Cities in S. California like Santa Clarita, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Katy-zuela
4,852 posts, read 8,992,957 times
Reputation: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The "safer East?" Do you realize that some of the safest cities are out West? Cities in S. California like Santa Clarita, Simi Valley and Thousand Oaks.
Those cities are too new. There are more established cities out East with the buildings to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 09:02 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,462,855 times
Reputation: 382
Dude, we're talking about the white population share as compared to other groups. Are you smoking or something? When the report says LA is losing its white population to other groups, what does it refer that to?

You failed again, my friend.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Another fraudulent statement. IT'S NOT THE TRUTH. Just for the record, LA's white population increased from 2000 to 2006.

In 2000 the white population was 1,734,036
In 2006 the white population was 1,776,822

Los Angeles city, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 09:53 AM
 
2,039 posts, read 5,779,088 times
Reputation: 574
Arrow Vegas and Phoenix awful....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I apologize but why do so many people move to Los Angeles what is so special about it.

If people want urbanity cant they do better then that for much, much cheaper in like Houston, Chicago or Atlanta. Sure the culture might be there, but who would want to reside in a place where its more then likely limited to a small elite.

I just dont understand why people who arent super mega-affluent would want to reside in such a city. Seriously, it may have culture but can the average joe there enjoy it like the average person living in Houston or Chicago can enjoy their culture just out of curiousity.

I have never understood why people would even want to live in California, I mean I wouldnt mind a trip sometime possibly to San Diego but thats about it.

I would much rather live in a more genuine, affordable state like Michigan, Ohio, PA rather then an ultra-expensive sprawlsville of a state.

I guess the same goes for Phoenix or Las Vegas where is the allure, they just dont sound like appealing places to reside.

Do people live that far beyond their means on average in those just so they can have warm winters?
I love the beaches! However, you can find beaches along the east coast too - and you can swim in the water! LOL Plus the great lakes are SO large, the beaches there are fantastic. I love the hills along the beaches in places like San Diego/La Jolla.
LA does have a really nice moderate temperature, that's a plus in my opinion. And since the entertainment industry is out there, pretty much if you want a career in the TV/film biz, you are forced to go to where the jobs are. I have to admit, if I had the cash, I wouldn't mind having a home along the coast/beach in SoCal! And even though I may get flamed for this, I don't mind the sprawl, I'm a suburban gal afterall. *smile*

I'm not sure people who move to LA are looking for an "urban" atmosphere. Wouldn't they go to a place like Seattle, Chicago, NY or Atlanta? Unfortunately, my daughter would like to move to LA to be an "actress." I'll miss her..... *sigh*

Vegas is a party town, not sure I'd want to raise a family there because of the lack of things for families to do. But as far as going there to blow money or party - party on!

Same with Phoenix. I live in Scottsdale now and love it, but regret moving my children live here in their pre-teens. Thankfully they were involved with school activities, but all in all, they were bored. (Yes we went up north, to Mexico, etc.) There isn't much for families to here either, much like Vegas. I just can't understand why the city doesn't try to build things like an indoor amusement park (believe it or not, it's probably too hot to have one outdoors!) an aquarium, a historical museum, our zoo could use some animals (lol) a real art gallery. Geez, not like their aren't enough people to attend these things... You'd think in school field trips alone, it would sustain them!

I believe the draw to Vegas and Phoenix at one time (before the housing boom in prices) was the cheap affordable housing where one could buy a new house for a 100K or less and pay for it while working for 12 bucks an hour.
Both places are huge blue collar towns because they are both service oriented. In the beginning though, it was good, because it gave the lower middle class the same opportunity of home ownership as the middle class. When you don't have much/no education and don't make a lot of money, having the opportunity to own your own home is a huge plus, IMO.
However, because they are both service oriented towns, now that the price of housing has gone up (no thanks to the greedy speculators) people are beginning to see their dream of ever buying a home fade. And it's really hard to see it happening, although we do our best to pretend it's not "really" happening.
I don't see either place ever drawing fortune 500 companies to the area. The weather and lack of family activities will prevent that. There are just too many other places already in position to do that. California has so much more to offer!!! Which is a shame, because both cities (Phoenix and Vegas) have some really nice people living in them. But at least Vegas will always be a party town and Phoenix will always be a place to go shopping or get a massage at a nice resort in the winter.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 09-24-2007 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 10:06 AM
 
2,039 posts, read 5,779,088 times
Reputation: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Nice weather, great people, a semi-affordable housing market, and beautiful desert scenery. I love Phoenix for many more reasons but these are the main 4 that I think attract new residents. It's a matter of personal preference; I could ask you same question. I for one would NEVER live in a state like Ohio, why would you want to live there?

Phoenix does have quite a bit going for it at this point in time, the METRO (light rail) should definetly attract more of an urban crowd along with all the new construction going on in downtown Phoenix. We may not have much of a skyline but downtown Phoenix is actually a nice, clean place with little crime.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you. However, I think that Phoenix is going to weather the recession fine because it's a vacation destination. I was downtown yesterday, and other than the street the ballpark and basketball arena are on, there is very little happening downtown. (Aside from Marley's or Alice Coopers place) Unfortunately, the light rail has done more bad than good as far as business. It bankrupted many, many small businesses along the route. And as far as crime, perhaps it's safe on game days, but really, would you spend much time down there? I know I wouldn't. Downtown and the surrounding areas are infested with crime but what downtown area isn't??? And clean? Please, maybe where WE live -- Scottsdale, or in Anthem or one of the other far away planned communties that take an hour to get to.
I love living in Scottsdale. But I certainly wouldn't want to live here/Phoenix unless I made a decent living. There is little to do unless you have a lot of cash to spend.

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 09-24-2007 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,287 posts, read 4,651,691 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Dude, we're talking about the white population share as compared to other groups. Are you smoking or something? When the report says LA is losing its white population to other groups, what does it refer that to?

You failed again, my friend.
Whose "we"? You weren't talking to anybody. You were trolling. The topic is "what's the alllure of California or Los Angeles?"

And your answer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
LA is experiencing a white flight symptom.
Since the last official Census in 2000, the actual number of white residents in LA city has never fallen below the level reported in 2000. This is what the 2006 Census estimate reflects.

In 2000 the white population was 1,734,036
In 2006 the white population was 1,776,822

Los Angeles city, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

The estimate for LA County is similar:

In 2000 the white population was 4,637,062
In 2006 the white population was 4,660,343

Los Angeles County, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Therefore, your false and erroneous claim.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
milky, that's the truth. I am not saying the fast shrinking white-population is a terrible thing for LA. Its just happening.
IS NOT THE TRUTH and is hardly "fast shrinking." This is just another example of the FRAUD you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 02:01 PM
 
Location: San Diego
939 posts, read 2,829,728 times
Reputation: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Those cities are too new. There are more established cities out East with the buildings to prove it.
your point? the east is ancient and the west is on the uprising of modern architectural innovation. over the years, the west will have a futurama look while the infrastructure on the east will crumble and force maintenance and demolition, putting east coast cities on the brink of debt. mind you, there are exceptional cities such as new york, boston, parts of d.c., pittsburgh, charlotte, etc. that don't have to worry about that so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Deep In The Heat Of Texas
2,639 posts, read 2,459,593 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Those cities are too new. There are more established cities out East with the buildings to prove it.
How new is "too new?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 04:14 PM
 
374 posts, read 1,745,465 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Have you ever noticed that, for some reason, we Chicagoans get treated like **** by Californians but we always end up defending their state? It's like it was our boosterism that built California in the first place and we're just determined to defend it.
Yes, because Chicagoans bug! They feel a constant need to defend their position as 3rd biggest city in the U.S., because they know a large handful of other American cities have much more to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM
 
1,119 posts, read 2,462,855 times
Reputation: 382
haha...what a lie !!

Lets look at these stats

The White polulation percentage has been reduced from 48.7% (2000) to 46.8% (2006)

The Hispanic population pecentage has been increased from 44.6% (2000) to 47.3% (2006)

The Asian population percentage has been increased from 11.9% (2000) to 13.0% (2006)

It shows clearly that the White population share is shrinking. Now, we know who is the real FRAUD, huh?




Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Whose "we"? You weren't talking to anybody. You were trolling. The topic is "what's the alllure of California or Los Angeles?"

And your answer...



Since the last official Census in 2000, the actual number of white residents in LA city has never fallen below the level reported in 2000. This is what the 2006 Census estimate reflects.

In 2000 the white population was 1,734,036
In 2006 the white population was 1,776,822

Los Angeles city, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

The estimate for LA County is similar:

In 2000 the white population was 4,637,062
In 2006 the white population was 4,660,343

Los Angeles County, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Therefore, your false and erroneous claim.....



IS NOT THE TRUTH and is hardly "fast shrinking." This is just another example of the FRAUD you are.

Last edited by downtown1; 09-24-2007 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top