U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,211,113 times

Advertisements

You guys are mixing up the white population and the non-hispanic white population.

If there is any gain in the white population in LA it is coming from Mexicans who consider themselves to be white. Most American white people would not consider these Mexicans to be white though.

According to City data here are the race & ethnic statistics for Los Angeles:

Races in Los Angeles:

Hispanic (46.5%)
White Non-Hispanic (29.7%)
Other race (25.7%)
Black (11.2%)
Two or more races (5.2%)
Filipino (2.7%)
Korean (2.5%)
Chinese (1.7%)
American Indian (1.4%)
Japanese (1.0%)
Other Asian (0.9%)
Asian Indian (0.7%)
Vietnamese (0.5%)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,464,359 times
Thank you, Mead :-)

Many would have to agree with you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
If there is any gain in the white population in LA it is coming from Mexicans who consider themselves to be white. Most American white people would not consider these Mexicans to be white though.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
haha...what a lie !!

Lets look at these stats

The White polulation percentage has been reduced from 48.7% (2000) to 46.8% (2006)

The Hispanic population pecentage has been increased from 44.6% (2000) to 47.3% (2006)

The Asian population percentage has been increased from 11.9% (2000) to 13.0% (2006)

It shows clearly that the White population share is shrinking. Now, we know who is the real FRAUD, huh?

No, what is shows is that you are now trying to change your story. You must really think people are stupid or you are delusional. Your original comments were not about "white population share." LIAR.

What you said was.................

Quote:
LA is experiencing a white flight symptom.
Quote:
milky, that's the truth. I am not saying the fast shrinking white-population is a terrible thing for LA. Its just happening.
Both statements are LIES. Saying the share or proportion of the white population is decreasing and saying there is "white flight" are two different things.

"White Flight" means people are actually, physically leaving. Like in Chicago where white flight is real and dramatic.

Chicago "White Flight"
In 2000 the white population was 1,215,315
In 2006 the white population was 1,004,760

More than 200,000 people

Cook County "white Flight"
In 2000 the white population was 3,025,760
In 2006 the white population was 2,688,083

More than 300,000 people

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 09-24-2007 at 05:26 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Nope, only you

Its so clear now, dude. Just give it up. Now, everyone knows who was the LIAR

The word "shrinking" here refers to the percent white population, not the total of white residents in LA. Read this and find out why you failed miserably. Now, we all know why you have a reputation for fabcricating data and giving erroneous claims. For the record, this is the 5th time you've been caught.

Race on the 2010 census: Hispanics & the shrinking white majority.

What, then, of the white population in 2020? The Census Bureau projects that whites will still constitute a comfortable majority at 79 percent. But it gets this figure only by including 'Hispanic whites,' those Latinos who identify as racially white on the census. Without those Latino millions, the Bureau estimates that in the next fifteen years whites will fall to just sixty-four of every hundred Americans .

Race on the 2010 census: Hispanics & the shrinking white majority. Industry & Business Article - Research, News, Information, Contacts, Divisions, Subsidiaries, Business Associations

Also, make sure you read Mead's post. Hope, you will learn from that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
No, what is shows is that you are now trying to change your story. You must really think people are stupid. Your original comments were not about "white population share." LIAR.

Last edited by downtown1; 09-24-2007 at 05:47 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,269,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Yes, because Chicagoans bug! They feel a constant need to defend their position as 3rd biggest city in the U.S., because they know a large handful of other American cities have much more to offer.
Or maybe it's because there are too many ignorant people out there who think Chicago is just a big cow-town with a skyline and we get tired of hearing it.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:38 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,653,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
You guys are mixing up the white population and the non-hispanic white population.

That's true. If you exclude all "Latino/Hispanic whites" including those who are biracial, the white population gain is less. It looks more like this:

In 2000 white population total=1,099,188
In 2006 white population total=1,101,073

Los Angeles city, California - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

However, my point remains the same. The suggestion that this represents "white flight" or "fast-shrinkage" as downtown1 stated could not be further from the truth.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM

6,239 posts, read 15,457,171 times
I like this discussion, but it seems ironic that the original poster is no longer a member of City-Data.

For myself, I can only say that I grew up here, so it was never a choice. Well, unless you think that there's a choice in staying where you've always been, and sticking with what you're familiar with.

I take the weather for granted, and my work hours are such that I don't deal with much traffic. I live in a rent controlled apartment that's $400 below market rates. Yesterday I was bored, so I went for a drive down Sunset Blvd. and ended up at the beach. Traffic wasn't even that bad going home up the dreaded 405.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 PM

405 North is not as bad once you go pass Santa Monica freeway. Going South is a nightmare. LA leaders should find ways to boost public transportation ridership. I hope they don't build more highways cuz it's not a long term solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I like this discussion, but it seems ironic that the original poster is no longer a member of City-Data.

For myself, I can only say that I grew up here, so it was never a choice. Well, unless you think that there's a choice in staying where you've always been, and sticking with what you're familiar with.

I take the weather for granted, and my work hours are such that I don't deal with much traffic. I live in a rent controlled apartment that's $400 below market rates. Yesterday I was bored, so I went for a drive down Sunset Blvd. and ended up at the beach. Traffic wasn't even that bad going home up the dreaded 405.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:03 PM

30,237 posts, read 67,392,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Or maybe it's because there are too many ignorant people out there who think Chicago is just a big cow-town with a skyline and we get tired of hearing it.
On the contrary Chicago garners a LOT of respect in my neck of the woods. It's a city I've always wanted to visit, along with Minneapolis, Duluth, Madison, Milwaukee, Galena, IL, and Des Moines! I might just have to take a one-month hiatus from work some time in the future to do my own Upper Midwest driving tour!

Trust me, Chicago is very well-revered. If anything, I get pi**ed off at the amount of Scranton-bashing that goes on.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 PM

234 posts, read 1,091,459 times
lol who bashes scranton?? who even heard of that place? i know i havent. still why would u get pissed off? do u know gangs are the same way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or