U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:52 AM

673 posts, read 3,751,948 times

Advertisements

I apologize but why do so many people move to Los Angeles what is so special about it.

If people want urbanity cant they do better then that for much, much cheaper in like Houston, Chicago or Atlanta. Sure the culture might be there, but who would want to reside in a place where its more then likely limited to a small elite.

I just dont understand why people who arent super mega-affluent would want to reside in such a city. Seriously, it may have culture but can the average joe there enjoy it like the average person living in Houston or Chicago can enjoy their culture just out of curiousity.

I have never understood why people would even want to live in California, I mean I wouldnt mind a trip sometime possibly to San Diego but thats about it.

I would much rather live in a more genuine, affordable state like Michigan, Ohio, PA rather then an ultra-expensive sprawlsville of a state.

I guess the same goes for Phoenix or Las Vegas where is the allure, they just dont sound like appealing places to reside.

Do people live that far beyond their means on average in those just so they can have warm winters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 12:22 PM

554 posts, read 2,279,429 times
I think it's just a personal preference. They will probably read this thread and question "Why would you want to live in Michigan, Ohio, or PA?"
They may have grown up there.. and think it's the best place in the world to live. Or they might just move there to get lucky one day and see their favorite celebrity. Who knows really...
But overall I think it's just personal preference, jobs, or they simply can't move out for certain reasons.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:24 PM

5,367 posts, read 12,974,087 times
I use to live in LA and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The weather is nice, its big with so many different cultures. Frankly I would much rather live in LA than anyplace in Ohio, Nebraska, Michigan and many other places. There are so many reasons why I love LA it would take too long to name them all. Also people live far beyond their means in any and every city.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:34 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,650,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I just dont understand why people who arent super mega-affluent would want to reside in such a city.
Well, your living in Nebraska says it all. I think people in LA consider such a state fly over, and are equally perplexed as to why anyone would actually choose to live in such a desolate and lonely place.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 07-04-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,169,700 times
Interesting you call California "sprawlsville" considering whole huge chunks of it are practically uninhabited. The population is highly concentrated along the coastline. The main reason the California coastal cities became so popular is climate. Never too hot, never too cold. It doesn't hurt that California has a tremendous variety of geography/topography/scenery: oceans, mountains, forests, valleys and deserts all within a day's drive.

That said, California, and particularly LA, has become a victim of its own success. The demand for the perfect climate and the scenery has driven real estate prices to insane, astronomical levels. And now that bubble is bursting (again), but the demand for coastal California will always be high. But for now the market and social factors are taking their toll: California has been experiencing domestic out-migration for a few years now. If it weren't for immigration, California's population would be declining.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,450,469 times
California is a beautiful state, great beaches, great weather, with lots of people, lots of diversity. NoCal and SoCal are worlds apart. I would prefer the Bay Area, but I could see myself living in L.A., too. I wouldn't mind living there because it reminded me a lot of Houston, only "sexier", when I visited.

Also, some people HAVE to live near water. I don't care if the waters are brown or too cold to swim in. I just need to be close to open water. Don't care a whit for mountains, but must have water! I've lived in two landlocked cities and hated every minute of it.

I guess I personally prefer large, coastal cities with lots of people (=choices, options of things to do, places to eat, etc.; that signals progressiveness). A city that fosters an open-minded climate for ideas and offers lots of opportunities attracts people from all backgrounds like a magnet and will not remain stagnant, it's going places. On the flip side, I hate small cities that seem to celebrate a singular, homogeneous culture.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:48 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,650,955 times
Sometimes pictures say a thousands more things than words can to explain the allure....

Love Los Angeles - SkyscraperCity

Los Angeles Geography + Cityscape - SkyscraperPage Forum

LOS ANGELES: Incredible Photos of The City - SkyscraperCity

Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,358,698 times
As others have said, different strokes for different folks.

California as a whole is a remarkably physically beautiful state with such diverse topography, and the coastal areas have arguably the best weather in the U.S. I don't think the allure is that hard to spot.

I personally love California. I used to live in Los Angeles and it was okay, but LA isn't really my thing, but I'd choose it above many of the other places you listed like Michigan or Ohio. It's all about personal preferences.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,278,657 times
Quote:
I guess the same goes for Phoenix or Las Vegas where is the allure, they just dont sound like appealing places to reside.
Nice weather, great people, a semi-affordable housing market, and beautiful desert scenery. I love Phoenix for many more reasons but these are the main 4 that I think attract new residents. It's a matter of personal preference; I could ask you same question. I for one would NEVER live in a state like Ohio, why would you want to live there?

Phoenix does have quite a bit going for it at this point in time, the METRO (light rail) should definetly attract more of an urban crowd along with all the new construction going on in downtown Phoenix. We may not have much of a skyline but downtown Phoenix is actually a nice, clean place with little crime.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,710,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I would much rather live in a more genuine, affordable state like Michigan, Ohio, PA rather then an ultra-expensive sprawlsville of a state.

I don't know why somebody would want to live in Michigan, Ohio, or Nebraska where you live. Having read your previous posts, MattDen, I see you're from Colorado-- and then lived in North Dakota and now Nebraska. What kind of nutcase would leave Denver or Colorado Springs to live in Fargo, ND, or Lincoln, NE? That's what I want to know. I can't imagine living somewhere with no mountains. And the boring cities you live in. Truth is, the 11 western states (CA, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, NV, AZ, NM) are pretty much all in the same boat. They all have mountains, are sparsely populated outside of major urban areas, are dry (except for the Pacific NW) and have beautiful, but fragile ecosystems and landscapes. Wyoming represents what the west once was (and still is in certain parts), California represents what the west (and the rest of the country) is becoming, for better or worse. Every western state is becoming more, not less like California.

My theory on Phoenix and Vegas is that people who would really rather live in California if money was no issue, settle for the next best thing, since these two cities are much more affordable, and less crowded. Much of California itself is a desert, so it's really not that much of a stretch to live one state over, while still being within a 6 hour drive of the ocean. People here in Phoenix take road trips to San Diego and LA all the time. The types of man made landscaping in PHX and Vegas and the construction of the urban environment is very California-esque. Plus, there is tremendous natural beauty within 2 hours drive of both PHX (Sedona, Mogollon Rim, Superstition Wilderness) and Vegas (Mt Charleston, Red Rock, Lake Mead, Zion), so they are not exactly unattractive places. The main problem is the summer heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or