U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:54 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times

Advertisements

My must visit cities in the USA are,
1) New York City (one of a kind)
2) San Francisco (best natural beauty in the nation)
3) Houston (THE most underrated city in the country)
4) Philadelphia ( historic)
5) Washington DC ( nation capital and attractions)
6) Savannah GA or Charleston SC ( historic southern)

In the world must see are
1) Cairo ( the great pyramids)
2) London (New York of Europe)
3) rio (best natural beauty in the world for a large city)
4) rome ( historic)
5)Amsterdam (the REAL sin city!)
To those who think Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami and Orlando are must see, they are IF you like boring mind numbing suburbia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 PM

332 posts, read 359,100 times
1.)New York City (A World Class City with a lot of things to do)

2.)Houston (People should go to Houston or any city in Texas at least once and quit listening to all the nonsense and sterotypes people say about it)

3.)Washing D.C. (To see the US Capital of course!)

4.)Las Vegas (I'm kind of skeptical about this one...)

I picked these cities because their so different from eachother and each offer many things and experiences! Maybe even L.A or New Orleans as well.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,008,830 times
1. New York City
2. Las Vegas - there's nothing like it, great shows, lights everywhere
3. San Francisco - visit Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge
4. Miami
5. Washington, DC - visit everything
6. Denver - one of the prettiest/cleanest cities I've visited, tour the mint
7. San Diego - perfect weather, great zoo
8. St. Louis - the arch is an engineering masterpiece, nice zoo, eat frozen custard
9. Austin - take the river walk, visit Zilker Park

Old 07-06-2007, 08:12 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,342,284 times
Favorite city in the world: Ann Arbor, MI I grew up there and miss it dearly.

Other good cities: San Diego, New York, Chicago, Singapore (it's a city-state), Mazatlan, Mostar, Big Sur (if it was a city), Detroit (including the ritzy suburbs), Mackinac Island, Grand Cayman, and Sarajevo (because I was above the law there).

MY list of bad places: anything in florida, LA (la land), phoenix (it's hot, dry or not it's nasty hot), las vegas (watching people gamble is revolting to me), anything in france, jamaica, all border cities in mexico, new orleans, DC, and GTMO (the proper acronym for what people call Gitmo (Guantanamo Bay).

Hope to be going on a cruise next year to northern Europe and will probably add a few more to the good list with port visits in Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Russia, Germany, and Estonia.

BTW, everything on my list are places I've actually been. I did 20 years in the Navy and have pretty much been everywhere. Most places I'll remain neutral on though.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
You can say that again. I've always said that Chicago has more character, but most of it is nothing but a small New York. And while its residents take pride in that, they should know that's not always a good thing.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:03 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,766,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Do you have a question, Steve-o?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:41 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
MY list of bad places: anything in florida, LA (la land), phoenix (it's hot, dry or not it's nasty hot), las vegas (watching people gamble is revolting to me), anything in france, jamaica, all border cities in mexico, new orleans, DC, and GTMO (the proper acronym for what people call Gitmo (Guantanamo Bay).
curious - why is france a bad place? i'm well aware of the anti-anything-french sentiment in this country now , but seriously, Paris is a gorgeous city with wonderful food, sites, museums, architecture, history. is it because french ppl can be rude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Hope to be going on a cruise next year to northern Europe and will probably add a few more to the good list with port visits in Finland, Denmark, Netherlands, UK, Russia, Germany, and Estonia.
now THAT'S a cruise I'd love to do. when my kids get older.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,104,511 times
Why visit any of those cities? As long as the place you live has what you need, your fine. Every major American city covers that well.

If there was one city I would want to see right now it would be Dubai, UAE. It is amazing what they are doing there.

Tokyo, Japan; Seoul, South Korea; or Honk Kong, China for the technology. Anywhere else would not be for the city but for the climate/outdoors. Vacation spots.

Dubai is amazing though, I would like to visit one day.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,389,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Do you have a question, Steve-o?
Yeah. Im having a hard time finding tons of similarities between Chicago and NYC.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:51 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yeah. Im having a hard time finding tons of similarities between Chicago and NYC.
I actually agree somewhat with mpope on this. i spent months and months in chicago for work - downtown right on michigan ave. i described chicago to my friends as a "manageable NYC". i just felt it was a tame manhattan, not in a bad way, and in no way disrespectful. the crowds, architecture, vibe, reminded me a lot of NY but on a much smaller scale!

now here's my dirty little secret. IMNSHO, there are only 2 places in this country I consider cities: NY and Chicago. Intellectually I know this is incorrect and I probably deserve every flame I'm going to get. However, having grown up in the shadow of NY (I could see the WTC standing on my roof, which, yes, I've done ) , I didn't realize how unique the NY's and Chicago's are in this nation, and I can't help but measure all cities against them. And they fall short IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or