U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,603 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone i am wishing to move permenantly to the united states within the next 5-7 years i know what i need to do legally but i have a couple of other questions.

First of all which would be the best state to live in for me, i am going to be getting a degree in Computer science at a university in australia, i want to be a computer network administrator (or something of the like) i would like to one day raise a family, im male, i want to rent an apartment (1 - 2 bedroom) and one day own a house.

I would like to be somewhere where it snows moderatly, i dont really care for beaches, i would like to live in a moderate to large size town.

Regards

~void
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM

63 posts, read 113,552 times
Depends where you're from in Australia and what you want from your American life.

Sounds like you want to live here long term so I'd suggest choosing a place similar to where you're from. If you were only coming for a taste of America, I'd suggest a place very different to where you're from.

Maybe Seattle? We moved from Melbourne to Seattle (going back to Oz next year) and it's a great place to live. Lots of tech here despite the outsourcing. No beaches like in Australia, great geography, bit of snow in the city but really close to lots of mountain snow.

Start with weather (snow will narrow it down a lot), then city size, then local job prospects/local economy, then I'd consider density and finally cultural stuff like music/attitudes/food etc.

Hopefully by the time you get here the economy is recovering and things will be on the up.

Cheers mate, good luck

Old 10-19-2010, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elarbee View Post
Depends where you're from in Australia and what you want from your American life.

Sounds like you want to live here long term so I'd suggest choosing a place similar to where you're from. If you were only coming for a taste of America, I'd suggest a place very different to where you're from.

Maybe Seattle? We moved from Melbourne to Seattle (going back to Oz next year) and it's a great place to live. Lots of tech here despite the outsourcing. No beaches like in Australia, great geography, bit of snow in the city but really close to lots of mountain snow.

Start with weather (snow will narrow it down a lot), then city size, then local job prospects/local economy, then I'd consider density and finally cultural stuff like music/attitudes/food etc.

Hopefully by the time you get here the economy is recovering and things will be on the up.

Cheers mate, good luck
Thank you for your reply, i like snow so somewhere with or without snow wont really bother me, i live in the illawarra (which is near wollongong, which is near sydney) so a moderate to medium city densiy would be nice

I also do hunting out here so i want to hunt out there too, and yes i want to move out their long term (permanent) i love metal, i go to live concerts a lot (i dont mind driving an hour to get their and back)

I like to cook food but i like to go to restaurants once in a while.

Hope that covers it

Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,037,633 times
Washington state or Oregon would be good for you. They can be cloudy though.

For more snow, mountains, wilderness, hunting, decent amount of metal/rock/punk/whatever, and a city that would probably have tech jobs, I'd suggest the Denver area in Colorado.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM

17,270 posts, read 19,560,434 times
Have you considered the Washington, D.C. area? Very good job market. Lots of network administrator jobs for computer scientists. There's usually a moderate amount of snowfall in the winter and seasonal changes. Appalachian mountains to the west, Chesapeake Bay and ocean beaches to the east (it's there even though you don't require it). Lots of outdoor activities, including big game hunting in Maryland and Virginia. Plenty of concert venues, lots of restaurants of all kinds of ethnicities, etc. Oh, and it's the nation's capital and there are nice benefits that go with that. :-)

Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,870,861 times
My recommendations:

Chicago, IL
Denver, CO
Portland, OR

Old 10-21-2010, 10:39 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,509,853 times
Default Its a Big Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Void344 View Post
Thank you for your reply, i like snow so somewhere with or without snow wont really bother me, i live in the illawarra (which is near wollongong, which is near sydney) so a moderate to medium city densiy would be nice

I also do hunting out here so i want to hunt out there too, and yes i want to move out their long term (permanent) i love metal, i go to live concerts a lot (i dont mind driving an hour to get their and back)

I like to cook food but i like to go to restaurants once in a while.

Hope that covers it
Wow- not much to narrow down ones decision here. Its a big country. I'm going to assume that in 5 or 6 years the job market won't be a factor in your field. I'm going to assume that a hot and humid climate is not your thing and an extremely cold climate is also not desired. If its hunting you like this helps a little. A lot of potential cities that might otherwise fit the bill are still a couple hours away from good hunting. I would take larger cities like Denver or Chicago off the list for that reason. Some states have a lot of public land (Pennsylvania, Colorado, California, Michigan, etc.)- others do not (Texas, Rhode Island etc.). Culturally what are you expecting? White Collar? Blue Collar? Conservative? Liberal? Can you afford California? Oregon? Washington?
You haven't given us much but maybe consider the following:
S.E.- Northern SC, NC, VA,
N.E. - PA, Ohio, Md, but otherwise too cold?
N.W. - Boise Idaho, Coastal Oregon/Washington, Missoula/Bozeman Montana
S.W. - Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona

Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 PM

66 posts, read 162,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
N.E. - PA, Ohio, Md, ...

Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM

88 posts, read 328,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Void344 View Post
Hello everyone i am wishing to move permenantly to the united states within the next 5-7 years i know what i need to do legally but i have a couple of other questions.

First of all which would be the best state to live in for me, i am going to be getting a degree in Computer science at a university in australia, i want to be a computer network administrator (or something of the like) i would like to one day raise a family, im male, i want to rent an apartment (1 - 2 bedroom) and one day own a house.

I would like to be somewhere where it snows moderatly, i dont really care for beaches, i would like to live in a moderate to large size town.

Regards

~void
I'm actually curious as to why you want to move to the USA? I thought Australia was faring better this recession.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,627,593 times
maybe the Raleigh Durham area of North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or