U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Des Allemands, Louisiana
32 posts, read 59,221 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I have always heard that New Orleans has the highest murder rate in America.

back in the mid-1990's New Orleans used to average a murder a day. thats alot for a city of 450,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2010, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,778,373 times
Reputation: 7260
Quote:
Originally Posted by laboy10101 View Post
back in the mid-1990's New Orleans used to average a murder a day. thats alot for a city of 450,000.

Lestat was in his prime in the 90's I am surprised it was that low. He must have been doing a good job passing those corpses off as overdoses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 PM
 
Location: the future
1,448 posts, read 1,874,906 times
Reputation: 530
Default boredatwork

Murders in a swath of the Mid-Atlantic, 2009

This maps shows the murders by region between D.C/ Baltimore/ Philadelphia......the reason D.C isnt on this list is bc theres 3 counties surrounding one city rather than 1 county surrounding one city..spreading out the statistics over a larger metro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Lancaster, TX
1,221 posts, read 2,058,024 times
Reputation: 1457
Using the data in the FBI table, here are the 2009 murder rates (per 100,000 inhabitants) for metropolitan areas with more than a million people. The dashed line represents the national rate of 5.0 murders per 100,000 inhabitants.

21.4 New Orleans-Metairie-Kenner, LA
12.1 Memphis, TN-MS-AR
11.1 Baltimore-Towson, MD
10.1 Detroit-Warren-Livonia, MI
9.3 Birmingham-Hoover, AL
9.1 Jacksonville, FL
7.9 Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
7.9 Kansas City, MO-KS
7.4 St. Louis, MO-IL
7.3 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD
7.0 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
6.9 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL
6.9 Nashville-Davidson─Murfreesboro─ Franklin, TN
6.8 Oklahoma City, OK
6.8 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA
6.7 Buffalo-Niagara Falls, NY
6.4 Indianapolis-Carmel, IN
6.3 San Antonio, TX
6.0 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
6.0 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
5.9 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA
5.8 Cleveland-Elyria-Mentor, OH
5.8 Richmond, VA
5.7 Columbus, OH
5.6 Charlotte-Gastonia-Rock Hill, NC-SC
5.5 Louisville/Jefferson County, KY-IN
5.4 Tucson, AZ
5.3 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL
5.3 Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ
5.2 Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, WI
5.1 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA
---------------------------------------
4.8 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX
4.7 Pittsburgh, PA
4.6 Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT
4.1 Cincinnati-Middletown, OH-KY-IN
4.1 New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA
4.0 Sacramento─Arden-Arcade─ Roseville, CA
3.9 Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO
3.6 Rochester, NY
3.6 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
2.9 Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA
2.6 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA
2.5 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
2.5 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA
2.4 Austin-Round Rock-San Marcos, TX
2.4 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH
2.3 Raleigh-Cary, NC
2.1 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA
1.9 Salt Lake City, UT
1.7 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI

Large Metros Not Included
Chicago-Joliet-Naperville, IL-IN-WI
Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2010, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,971 posts, read 12,224,442 times
Reputation: 2481
same ol cities

its not like austin is gonna spike into the top 10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 AM
 
9,042 posts, read 13,191,917 times
Reputation: 7063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
No Chicago, huh?
Because crime in the metro is highly concentrated to the west/south sides of the city, as well as a few near-south suburbs. The population in those areas is around 7% of the entire metro. The rest of the meto area is very safe. DuPage County almost has 1,000,000 people, and I remember back in the early 2000's it went over a year without a single murder.

Based on numbers from 2008 (nothing has really changed):

Metro Counties in Illinios:

DuPage: 932,241 - 0.6/100,000
Kane: 511,892 - 1.0/100,000
McHenry: 320,961 people - 0.6/100,000
Lake: 712,567 people - 1.40/100,000
Will: 685,251 people - 2.40/100,000
Grundy: 48,421 people - 0.0/100,000
Kendall: 104,821 people - 0.0/100,000

39 murders for 3,316,154 people. 1.17/100,000

Suburban Cook County had 74 murders for 2,450,000 people. A rate of 3.0/100,000

Collar Counties: 1.17/100,000 out of 3,316,154 people
Suburban Chicago: 1.95/100,000 out of 5,766,154 people.


Stats from the city of Chicago for 2009:

South/West Neighborhoods: 708,213 people deal with 332 homicides a year in the city for a rate of - 46.88/100,000
North/Southwest Neighborhoods: 2,124,639 people deal with 111 homicides a year in the city for a rate of - 5.22/100,000

If you split out the metro between West/South sides of city vs. everything else:

South/West City: 332 homicides for 708,213 people: 46.88/100,000
Rest of City/Metro: 224 homicides for 7,890,793 people: 2.83/100,000

Slice off 8% of the metro population, and you drop 60% of the homicides. That's why you have such a huge issue with "it's not my problem" regarding crime in the Chicago area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
2,303 posts, read 1,631,408 times
Reputation: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Because crime in the metro is highly concentrated to the west/south sides of the city, as well as a few near-south suburbs. The population in those areas is around 7% of the entire metro. The rest of the meto area is very safe. DuPage County almost has 1,000,000 people, and I remember back in the early 2000's it went over a year without a single murder.

Based on numbers from 2008 (nothing has really changed):

Metro Counties in Illinios:

DuPage: 932,241 - 0.6/100,000
Kane: 511,892 - 1.0/100,000
McHenry: 320,961 people - 0.6/100,000
Lake: 712,567 people - 1.40/100,000
Will: 685,251 people - 2.40/100,000
Grundy: 48,421 people - 0.0/100,000
Kendall: 104,821 people - 0.0/100,000

39 murders for 3,316,154 people. 1.17/100,000

Suburban Cook County had 74 murders for 2,450,000 people. A rate of 3.0/100,000

Collar Counties: 1.17/100,000 out of 3,316,154 people
Suburban Chicago: 1.95/100,000 out of 5,766,154 people.

Stats from the city of Chicago for 2009:

South/West Neighborhoods: 708,213 people deal with 332 homicides a year in the city for a rate of - 46.88/100,000
North/Southwest Neighborhoods: 2,124,639 people deal with 111 homicides a year in the city for a rate of - 5.22/100,000

If you split out the metro between West/South sides of city vs. everything else:

South/West City: 332 homicides for 708,213 people: 46.88/100,000
Rest of City/Metro: 224 homicides for 7,890,793 people: 2.83/100,000

Slice off 8% of the metro population, and you drop 60% of the homicides. That's why you have such a huge issue with "it's not my problem" regarding crime in the Chicago area.
That's all well and good but Chicago did not provide stats to the FBI so the metro was omitted. Your stats are way off anyway. The south and west sides have way more than 700,000 people. Looks like you are trying to break this down by race, not area. Typical...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 02:56 PM
 
9,042 posts, read 13,191,917 times
Reputation: 7063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That's all well and good but Chicago did not provide stats to the FBI so the metro was omitted. Your stats are way off anyway. The south and west sides have way more than 700,000 people. Looks like you are trying to break this down by race, not area. Typical...
The stats have nothing to do with race (where did you get that from my post anyway?). It's not just straight west/south side, I took the 10-12 (can't remember) police districts with the highest number of homicides out of the 25 in the city and compared the number of murders in those districts to their populations based on the 77 community areas of Chicago. Those boundries didn't line up exactly, but it's close enough to make a valid comparison. The most dangerous police districts were all on the west/south sides of the city. The remaining districts then had the rest of the murders, and the rest of the city population. There were multiple areas around Midway, the Beverly area, Hyde Park, etc. that are on the west or south sides and were not included in that 700K population number. Those areas are all included in the "rest" of the city with a relatively low murder rate.

That's how I got the population and murder stats for the city of Chicago. The county homicide numbers came right off the Illinois State Police Annual Reports. The populations I got from census estimates.

You can do the same thing for 2010 through September.

https://portal.chicagopolice.org/por.../icsSept10.pdf

12 of the 25 districts in the city saw 298 of the 344 homicides (87%). The other 13 districts saw 46 homicides.

The community areas are here:

Community areas of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Find the general overlay of police district to community area and you can find the rough population of those 12 police districts. For some large districts you can look on the homicide tracker from the Tribune to see that many areas of police districts are pretty safe, such as neighborhoods on the southwest side of town that border very violent areas - and are all in the same district.

What numbers do you think are way off???? What are the correct numbers?

Regardless, just add the numbers together. I think 2009 had 449 murders in the city, cook county was listed as having 74 more, and the collar counties 39. So that's 562 for the 8,600,000 people in the Illinois portion of the metro area. 6.5/100,000.

Chicago's numbers aren't included in the FBI's because of something to do with how they classify rape - it has nothing to do with homicides.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 10-20-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
1,274 posts, read 1,630,479 times
Reputation: 633
I hate to admit that the crime rate in Columbus, Ohio came as a bit of a surprise to me.
Columbus is a fantastic city ... very vibrant, progressive and pretty friendly ... but, I was
taken aback by the intensity of violent crimes that seemed to inundate the city throughout
the summer of 2010.
The local media referred to it as "Columbus' Summer Of Violence" before each news story
about another armed robbery, shooting, home invasion or murder.
Columbus is an enormous city ... yet each area seemed to fall prey to these awful crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2010, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Floribama
8,859 posts, read 15,802,309 times
Reputation: 5238
I wouldn't feel any safer in Tampa than I would in Jax, I don't care what that list says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top