Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM

422 posts, read 754,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I thought Pittsburgh had a better employment/job market then Columbus, Ohio?

I am sure if there was a break-down between what Pittsburgh employment base is and Columbus base is one has around 2.4 million people I think (Pitts) and 1.9 million (Columbus) it would indicate Pittsburgh far ahead.

Pittsburgh seems to have more of an economic base then Columbus?

Columbus doesnt really have a good economy either, Cincinnati probubly has the best economy in the state of Ohio.
What are you joking? Columbus has one of the best economies in the Midwest. It's marked by consistent job-growth, relative freedom from recessions, and lots of expansion in high paying new-economy jobs.

Pittsburgh is one of the hardest hit cities in the rust belt. It's nothing like Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,066,322 times
Columbus might be doing well for the midwest but it's not even one of the top 22 nationally.

Best Cities for Young Professionals
bizjournals: Rank of large metros for young adult job seekers (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/73.html#l - broken link)

Top 15 Job Markets
America's best jobs in the hottest markets | 1 | Business 2.0

Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I thought Pittsburgh had a better employment/job market then Columbus, Ohio?

I am sure if there was a break-down between what Pittsburgh employment base is and Columbus base is one has around 2.4 million people I think (Pitts) and 1.9 million (Columbus) it would indicate Pittsburgh far ahead.

Pittsburgh seems to have more of an economic base then Columbus?

Columbus doesnt really have a good economy either, Cincinnati probubly has the best economy in the state of Ohio.
Pittsburgh's economy is presently based on medicine, higher ed, and to a lesser extent by far, finance.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 AM

Here's a nice article on Cincinnati:

Surprising Cincinnati (broken link)

Old 07-11-2007, 05:07 AM

dyt937: Dayton looks like a great place for young people to start out,almost in last place just above Detroit.

bizjournals: Rank of large metros for young adult job seekers (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/75.html - broken link)

Old 07-19-2007, 02:39 PM

607 posts, read 2,974,484 times
I never thought of Pitts and cincy to be good cities. there pretty slumy and dangerous. my sister is contemplating college in cincy and doesn't want to go to the school because of the slums and crime. cincy posts having one of the highest rape rates in the country.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM

607 posts, read 2,974,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
dyt937: Dayton looks like a great place for young people to start out,almost in last place just above Detroit.

bizjournals: Rank of large metros for young adult job seekers (http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/pages/75.html - broken link)
why would you say that, do you even know the average age in those cities. all the detroit' corktown district and downtown, and midtown residences are very young. so look at the median age who are living fine before, criticizing cities.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:47 PM

799 posts, read 2,163,574 times
Gee, Columbus has a good economy? I lived there for almost 20 years.
The insurance industry is big there. So if you think working in a cubicle in an underemployed wage and potential status is appealing...
Call centers? Retail jobs? Some communication jobs, but not wellpaying. But come to think of it, not too many are wellpaying.
Medical? Only nursing is wide-open. Everyone else is crunched.
Columubus is a great town, but it is hit hard economically like the rest of the midwest.
That explains why these cities aren't grandstanding.
But they do have a lot of good points to living there.
Jobs are not one of them. Service sector economies aren't well-paying, and some of the younger people don't know what it was like when people could earn a good wage.
Now, the gap is big.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,800,235 times
And yet Columbus is growing at a pretty good pace, especially for a Midwestern city. The income data from 2000 to 2005 (apparently a net LOSS in income after inflation) seems to suggest you're on target that people aren't moving to Columbus to take advantage of easy economic opportunity... so why are people moving there? Just trying to get away from more expensive cities? It's a mystery for the ages...

EDIT: is the population growing simply by virtue of annexation of surrounding areas, maybe?

Old 07-19-2007, 07:10 PM

Location: I wonder... hmmmmm... maybe... I live somewhere in that pleasant state of VA, Mother of Presidents.
178 posts, read 227,611 times
haha... Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.