U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 AM

5,857 posts, read 14,041,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
We all seem to have hatred for a great city that just happened to hit its stride about the time automobiles were coming into their own. That's why Los Angeles is the biggest thing you will see on a map. That's why it's so spread out, and where was everyone in L. A.
Well actually, no. In the late 1800s and fisrt half of the 20th century, Southern California was settled as a series of small, Midwestern-type towns, with LA emerging as the region's "big" city. It was public transportation that gave LA it's girth and shape. The Pacific Electric trolleys ran all over SoCal, connecting the small towns with LA. They peaked in about WWII, then the lines dwindled until the last one was abandoned in the mid-60s.

If you look at LA's freeway map today, you'd see that most of the major routes parallel the old PE routes. Before the freeways rose to prominence, LA was sprawling, but it was an efficient sprawl based on a great public transportation system. Freeways replaced the tracks, and transformed the area into the congested, smog-ridden place it is today.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,650,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Indy isnt that horrible, there are many unique things about Indy that make it great.

Worst city over 500K? LOTS! lol Detroit is pretty nasty, but also unique. My vote would probably go to LA (minus the weather). Uninspiring, over sprawled, gangbanger and illegalville, overpriced and overcrowded. Not to mention the pollution and crime...

This coming from someone in Chicago! A copy cat, unoriginal city with a small ego. It's so uninspiring that it's about to be bounced to 4th place behind Houston. Chicago is one of America's BIGGEST slum cities and you have your own share of illegals. And on top of that, your weather sucks!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 PM

108 posts, read 463,255 times
Default Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
This coming from someone in Chicago! A copy cat, unoriginal city with a small ego. It's so uninspiring that it's about to be bounced to 4th place behind Houston. Chicago is one of America's BIGGEST slum cities and you have your own share of illegals. And on top of that, your weather sucks!!!
Have you ever even been to Chicago??? Which city exactly is it a copycat of?

I will give you that is chalk full of illegals. I've never been to L.A., but I used to live just north of Detroit, and that definately gets my vote. The west side of Detroit is just awful...

Old 07-06-2007, 12:17 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
hahaha

Im sitting in perfectly clear skies and 80 degree weather, you? Can you even see the sky through the smog? "Uninspiring"? hahaha Do you even know the meaning of the word? Listen, kid, when youre over 14 years old and have traveled the states and actually visited Chicago, then talk to me.

Uninspiring.... oh man. hahahaha The comments dont get any funnier than that. Whats uninspiring is LAs outrageous prices, horrible air, boring downtown and the fact that its basically Mexico City. Couple that with droughts, fires, mudslides and floods, not to mention the next earthquake, and youve got a recipe for SUCK. And how is Chicago "copy cat"? Nice try, bub. "Unoriginal"???? Its apparent you know NOTHING about Chicago. Like I said, call me when you do.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
hahaha

Im sitting in perfectly clear skies and 80 degree weather, you? Can you even see the sky through the smog? "Uninspiring"? hahaha Do you even know the meaning of the word? Listen, kid, when youre over 14 years old and have traveled the states and actually visited Chicago, then talk to me.

Uninspiring.... oh man. hahahaha The comments dont get any funnier than that. Whats uninspiring is LAs outrageous prices, horrible air, boring downtown and the fact that its basically Mexico City. Couple that with droughts, fires, mudslides and floods, not to mention the next earthquake, and youve got a recipe for SUCK. And how is Chicago "copy cat"? Nice try, bub. "Unoriginal"???? Its apparent you know NOTHING about Chicago. Like I said, call me when you do.
It's apparent that you have never left Chicago, because all you do is spend your time day in and day out trying to convince people how great it is. You even created a poll just this week seeking validation against Phoenix. How pathetic.

LA stepped on and over Chicago more than 20 years ago. Get over it.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:39 PM

332 posts, read 359,042 times
Quote:
It's apparent that you have never left Chicago, because all you do is spend your time day in and day out trying to convince people how great it is. You even created a poll just this week seeking validation against Phoenix. How pathetic.

Ok everyone calm down before this thread is closed lol!:|

Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I created the poll vs Phoenix because there was another blind soul who's claiming the same thing that you are. And for your info, I travel more per yer than you probably do in 10. Ive been to LA several times, never once did I see what the big deal is. And whats pathetic is how you can call LA better than Chicago. Should I create another poll?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,340,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Well, NOTHING is a bit harsh. I'm not from Michigan, I just moved here from So Cal last year. I've moved around quite a bit...I've experienced Detroit, Grand Rapids, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Alberquerque, L.A., San Diego, Sacramento, Denver, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, St. Louis, Waterloo, Omaha, Lincoln, Indianapolis...on and on. Of course some of these are well under 500k, but still...

The worst, IMHO, is L.A. And I live in Metro Detroit! If your simply gonna say gangs, crime, blight, ect, then Detroit is obviously the worst. But the D also has a very vibrant arts and music scene, and a gritty and surreal sub-culture of sorts. Most of the town is bad, but parts of it are full of breath-takingly beautiful architechture, old mansions and skyscrapers...it's awsome. Plus, it does have parts that are safe and fun to visit, like Greektown in downtown, the new Riverfront, the WSU area...on and on.

Basically, Detroit has a personality. L.A., to me, is just one great big sprawling mess. Like anywhere, there are some good parts, but overall, the traffic, the dirtiness, the people...ugh. You can keep it.

My favorite city? San Diego baby!
great post and nearly all of it is true. I loved living in Sand Dawg, but Ann Arbor will always have my heart.
A few times while living in San Diego we had to go to LAla land and it was pretty much hell.. I remember leaving my house at about 2:30 AM to take my wife to LAX for an early flight and there were a million people on the 5, at 2:30 in the freaking morning!! screw that.. worst part was I had a convertible and my eyes were on fire driving back. it was like I had gasoline soaked sponges glued to my face..
There are a lot of nice stores and areas AROUND LA, but nothing that's worth all the crap you have to endure while living there..

also, comparing LA to Chicago is smoking crack.. Chicago's been there and done that since way before LA even had their diapers on..

BTW, which suburban Detroit are you in? I used to go out with a girl in Bloomfield Hills and I guess they're actually trying to call Ann Arbor suburban Detroit now.. that's blasphemy

Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
also, comparing LA to Chicago is smoking crack.. Chicago's been there and done that since way before LA even had their diapers on..
LOL Thats a good way of putting it!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM

[quote]
Quote:
I created the poll vs Phoenix because there was another blind soul who's claiming the same thing that you are.
What am I claiming exactly

Besides that poll was still a pathetic and desparate thing to do and very small ego.

[quote]
Quote:
And for your info, I travel more per yer than you probably do in 10. Ive been to LA several times, never once did I see what the big deal is.
I can care less about your travel. But your assumptions about mine again reflects small ego and ignorance. You don't know me from squat.

[quote]
Quote:
And whats pathetic is how you can call LA better than Chicago.
You need to learn to read better. That's not what I said. They are both great cities, but completely different and both full of big city problems. But I do prefer the City of Angels, thank you very much.

Quote:
Quote:
Should I create another poll?
Which will prove what? Grow up, already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or