U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM

22,383 posts, read 27,577,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
also, comparing LA to Chicago is smoking crack.. Chicago's been there and done that since way before LA even had their diapers on..
Wait a minute...
Los Angeles was founded before Chicago (1781 for L.A. and 1833 for Chicago). On the other hand, Chicago was the 2nd biggest city for many years.

BTW, the smog out here is better now than it was in the '70s and '80s. It sometimes used to hurt my lungs to breathe after exercising outside and I can't even remember now when it happened last.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:18 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,349,040 times
California statehood was 1850.. before that LA was actually part of Mexico, must resist lame attempt at pointing out irony...

but anyhow, I meant more along the lines of your second part. About how LA wasn't a major player until the not so distant past, while Chicago has been on stage for quite a while.
and maybe you've developed a smog filter or something. I used to die every time I went up there from San Diego, but I also had asthma..

Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 PM

22,383 posts, read 27,577,777 times
Yeah, as I said, Chicago was the 2nd biggest (most populous) city for a long time.

As for a smog filter, lol, I would need one more in San Gabriel or San Bernardino valley than I would where I live. But it really has cleared up somewhat... the mountains behind my house are visible on many more days now than they were in the '70s and '80s.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:09 PM

that's good, I love the mountains of California and always found it disappointing when I couldn't see them.
Worst was when the fires would smoke out the mountains in San Diego, pretty sad to see that happen

Old 07-06-2007, 06:22 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
I agree with many of the things Drover said about Pittsburgh v Chicago.

I definitely disagree with this statement: Its public transportation is one of the best and cleanest also. Their are metropolitan areas of four million people that can not compare to Pittsburgh's and that is after Pittsburgh has had severe transit cuts. (MattDen)

Chicago's metra is definitely one of the best city/suburban public transit systems. There is even a branch of it out in NW Indiana. I'm not sure what geographical area the Port Authority of Pittsburgh covers, but it is hard to get transportation from Beaver County into Pittsburgh. There is no public transportation to the airport from Beaver County that I could ever unearth when I needed it for my mom, except for taxi service. My old home in Beaver Falls is only 24 miles from the airport. My daughter was able to take a bus from Merrillville, IN to the Chicago airports, a distance of about 50 miles. It runs every hour. The Regional Transit District in metro Denver has buses from Boulder to the airport over 50 miles away.

Pittsburgh has many positive attributes. However, one of the best transit systems isn't one of them.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 07-06-2007 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: checked mapquest for distance

Old 07-07-2007, 01:04 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,282,517 times
No American city has a decent public transport system in terms of railway. The METRA system has more problems than ever. College towns generally have decent bus systems.

I'm from metro Detroit and, guess what, believe that public transportation IS the freeway. Flying sucks, buses sucks, trains generally suck.

I emailed the Gasbuddy family of sites last year, but they won't budge. Ann Arbor is features on detroitgasprices.com and not michigangasprices.com ... where it belongs, as Ann Arbor is not a Detroit suburb. Naperville and Schaumburg remain on illinoisgasprices.com instead of chicagogasprices.com

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 AM

1,134 posts, read 914,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post

also, comparing LA to Chicago is smoking crack.. Chicago's been there and done that since way before LA even had their diapers on..

Fleet's right! L. A. was established long before Chicago. Chicago's just a little baby city. Just a little one. On the world stage longer, but what have you done lately? Chicago burst on the world scene when a cow almost took out the whole place! A COW! We'll let you know when you're world class after you hold your first olympics, if you get it. New York, this won't concern you. Don't call us, we'll call you. This is more of a smirky face Oh., and rd2007, you're a senior member? Is that proper english? It should read, " also, comparing LA to Chicago is LIKE smoking crack.. " ..smirky face

Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 AM

speaking of crack, pass the pipe to the left please.. that made no sense at all. You obviously have never been to Chicago and/or read one thing about the city and its history..
and Senior Member is the default title change when a person passes 100 posts on a vBulletin board.. I just haven't got around to changing it to something quirky like LAla land fanboi...

Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 AM

100 posts, read 425,566 times
I agree with you on Detroit. My wife and I drove into Detroit for a Tigers game about three years ago, it was the end of June and the weather was awesome but driving into the city felt like driving into a cemetary. The hulking rusted out plants that dot the landscape, the corpse of Tiger Stadium and the bombed out remains of the buildings surrounding the new Comerica Park were eerie.. We are from Rhode Island and we also stopped to see games in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Cleveland on that trip, Detroit was the only place that I did not feel safe booking a hotel in the downtown area and when we arrived I was glad I didn't. We stayed out near the airport, which wasn't that much better of an area. We drove for nearly forty five minutes trying to find what looked like a safe place to eat near the hotel, there was nothing! We ended up eating dinner at the bar in the hotel, which I personally have never done.. Detroit MUST be the worst by far..

Old 07-07-2007, 11:11 AM

oof, how did you miss the Ren Cen? the hotel in there is great and pretty affordable, especially if you can get government rate. My family and I stayed near the top floor and the view is outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or