U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,043 times

Advertisements

To make this sweet and simple I feel I need to get out and away from Cleveland, Ohio. I can't decide where to move because frankly I just don't know enough about the places I may be interested in. I am thinking Arizona, Texas and Colorado primarily or maybe Seattle. I would like to know how these places are the best cities to live in and what lifestyles they may suit. Information on these topics would be appreciated.

Day life (things to do, hot spots)

Nightlife (things to do, hot spots)

Cost Of Living

Colleges

Transportation

Citizens

Jobs

Close Vacation spots
and Day trips

Activities

Miscellaneous

To also be noted. I am currently 21 and attending college love sports and the outdoors (hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, kayaking). I will be attending college wherever I end up and will be living there for a while if not indefinitely. I am acclimated to Cleveland winters and muggy summers. Looking for a change of pace and place to grow financially and get my education done with. Help me get out of here please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,797,163 times
Columbus is a great choice!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,577,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Columbus is a great choice!
Columbus is a great city, but the OP said he wanted to get away from Ohio. Columbus is only about a 2 hour drive from Cleveland.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM

976 posts, read 1,882,866 times
i hate to be like this, but if you think texas has anything on cleveland then you deserve texas.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:29 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,797,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i hate to be like this, but if you think texas has anything on cleveland then you deserve texas.

I'd have to agree with the aforementioned statement ^^ ... considering the youthful age of the OP though ( 21 ), I can see where he isn't really at a level of maturity ... where he can actually recognize Cleveland in a manner that would showcase the many merits and attributes that it absolutely retains.

I prefer Cleveland over a host of other cities that I have once called home ... Fullerton, CA ... Charlotte and Denver

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 PM

976 posts, read 1,882,866 times
cleveland is a wonderful city. it unfortunately suffers from the same negative self-esteem that plagues many cities of its ilk. clevelanders themselves are their own worst enemy. this is not unique to cleveland.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 PM

7,279 posts, read 13,538,196 times
The guy said he doesn't want Cleveland. What's the use in trying to sell him Cleveland?

OP: Maybe you can give us a little more to help narrow it down? You said you're acclimated to Cleveland winters/summers, but what kind of weather would you prefer? Spoiler: It gets wicked hot in most of AZ and TX, and it's a little dreary (but absolutely beautiful) in Seattle. And Denver is probably sunnier than you'd think.

What else do you look for in a town? What are you trying to go to school for? Have you done any research on schools?

Top of my head, if I had to pick a place from what you've given us, it'd be Austin, TX or Seattle, but that's based totally on what I like to do, combined with the fact that you've got some outdoor options adjacent.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:25 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,509,316 times
I would go with someplace on the west coast (San Diego, Portland, Seattle, etc.). It's pretty different than Cleveland, attracts a younger crowd, and good for outdoor activities.

I don't think Texas will offer you any more than Cleveland does, although it has a good job market. Arizona has very different landscapes than Ohio, but I would take Cleveland over Phoenix or Tuscon any day.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
The guy said he doesn't want Cleveland. What's the use in trying to sell him Cleveland?

OP: Maybe you can give us a little more to help narrow it down? You said you're acclimated to Cleveland winters/summers, but what kind of weather would you prefer? Spoiler: It gets wicked hot in most of AZ and TX, and it's a little dreary (but absolutely beautiful) in Seattle. And Denver is probably sunnier than you'd think.

What else do you look for in a town? What are you trying to go to school for? Have you done any research on schools?

Top of my head, if I had to pick a place from what you've given us, it'd be Austin, TX or Seattle, but that's based totally on what I like to do, combined with the fact that you've got some outdoor options adjacent.

I only said Texas because I read Austin was nice with its youthful crowd because of the College. I was originally primarily thinking Phoenix, Tuscon, Denver (or other parts?) or Seattle. A change of pace from Cleveland is what I'm looking for. Its not that I hate Cleveland I'm just sick of the things I'm surrounded with when here.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I'd have to agree with the aforementioned statement ^^ ... considering the youthful age of the OP though ( 21 ), I can see where he isn't really at a level of maturity ... where he can actually recognize Cleveland in a manner that would showcase the many merits and attributes that it absolutely retains.

I prefer Cleveland over a host of other cities that I have once called home ... Fullerton, CA ... Charlotte and Denver

I find it utterly annoying that some people such as yourself find it okay to simply belittle someone because of their age and just assume I've simply obtained a level of maturity of most people this age. It's absolutely ignorant and shows a lack of maturity more or less on your part. I simply asked a question didn't ask for people to try and boost their confidence by cynically ripping on someone simply based on their age. If that is what you have to do so be it. Maybe someday you will grow up.

PS I wish to get away from Cleveland because I have already seen so much of it and breaking away from the chains that bind me down in mediocrity here. Not to mention my reasons for leaving are none of your business, I should not have to explain myself to you or anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or