U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
 
9,807 posts, read 6,513,889 times
Reputation: 8127

Advertisements

Must be a reason why Missouri mules has been a term used for a long time.

Steep hillsides make farming with mules a necessity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,745,956 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you state obvious facts, but that doesn't have much to do with the discussion. the thread devolved into a discussion of what constitutes the midwest geographically, and missouri is almost always considered a part of the midwest. according to the us government, it is officially a midwestern state. not a southern state, not an "upland south" state, not a border state, not a transitional state...a midwestern state. your personal perspectives are fine and all, but they don't change the show-me state's designation as a midwestern state.

if you want to talk about southern characteristics, there is no doubt that southern missouri is full of southern influence. so are southern illinois, indiana, ohio, pennsylvania, and maryland. missouri was a border state during the civil war (as was maryland), whereas illinois, indiana and ohio were not-- you feel better now? that said, indiana still has overwhelming southern characteristics and in many ways even more than missouri. what you continue to ignore is the non-southern influence in missouri, which is every bit as noteworthy. so again, geechie, you have selective attention.

by the way, you may be surprised to know that maryland had many more slaves for a much longer period than missouri did, and missouri always had a much, much larger free black population than maryland throughout the civil war.
That's because Maryland's climate was more amenable to plantations crop than was Missouri's, at least until Dred Scott. In fact, Maryland only stayed in the Union because the Fed. Army was posted there to prevent it from leaving- as that would have cut D.C. off.

And like Maryland, Missouri also had a star on the Confederate flag in its honor, although neither ever truly joined the insurrection.

The sites I presented above (and the others) all showcase Missouri as a transition between Midwest and South. Some even place it (as others) in its own seperate region, due to the various cultural factors inherent.

Geographers/The Gov't/Anthropologists all bust-up the states into different regions based on different characteristics; The Fed Reserve, for example places S.C. in the same region as Md., and in a different region from neighboring Georgia.

That's one view, not THE view. It is not the end-all, be-all. Neither is the Census Dept, as far as georgaphical classification.

The funny thing is we are in largely in agreement:

The states you desribe above are transition areas between the regions.

But, as the site I quoited above says, the can also be construed to constitute a seperate region of its own- based on their uniqueness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,422 posts, read 3,830,799 times
Reputation: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Growing up in St Louis, I lived in a heavily German-Jewish populated area, Ladue, to be exact, feel free to Google it.
Didnt you know that Florida is considered the 6th borough of NYC?
I'm reminded of that part in Goodfellas where that woman tells Lorraine Braco's character that she comes from Miami and describes it as "Jew heaven".lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,443 posts, read 18,099,149 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I'm reminded of that part in Goodfellas where that woman tells Lorraine Braco's character that she comes from Miami and describes it as "Jew heaven".lol
I almost fell off the sofa the first time I heard that line, I laughed so hard!
My sister said, they could be describing Ladue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,745,956 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I'm reminded of that part in Goodfellas where that woman tells Lorraine Braco's character that she comes from Miami and describes it as "Jew heaven".lol
In my hometown, there is an area called 'Confederate Circle', (street name, but it describes an area) which is the center of the local Jewish community.

Guy I played ball with is named 'Moshe':

His family nickname is 'Bubba'.

And from him (especially when we were down by over a TD in the 4th quarter), I picked up a favorite saying:

Oy ve iz mir.

Miami is also different things to different people:

It is often called 'The capital of Latin America.'

I ran that one by a Latina friend of some academic bona fides one time, but she said, 'No. Miami has too many rules.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM
 
973 posts, read 1,056,333 times
Reputation: 567
jacob lawrence's famous piece, the great migration, documenting the flooding of southern blacks to the northern gateway cities:



is that st. louis next to new york and chicago? couldn't be. look at all those southern blacks fleeing the oppressive south for...the oppressive south.

no one is refuting the fact that missouri draws influence from the south as much as you are refuting evidence that missouri also draws a great deal of influence from the north, east and west. you have classified missouri as an "upland south" state, but just about every official designation considers it midwestern. you have yet to face that reality. wouldn't it be just as accurate in your view to call missouri a "lowland north" state? if you are consistent in your argument, then yes. but you're not consistent in your argument. you have one-dimensional perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,422 posts, read 3,830,799 times
Reputation: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I almost fell off the sofa the first time I heard that line, I laughed so hard!
My sister said, they could be describing Ladue!
The pastrami and bagels must be good in Ladue.lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,443 posts, read 18,099,149 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The pastrami and bagels must be good in Ladue.lol
Oy gevalt, you have no idea!!!!!
I wish I could find matzo ball soup here thats as good as what my favorite deli serves there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:29 PM
 
4,465 posts, read 4,745,956 times
Reputation: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
jacob lawrence's famous piece, the great migration, documenting the flooding of southern blacks to the northern gateway cities:



is that st. louis next to new york and chicago? couldn't be. look at all those southern blacks fleeing the oppressive south for...the oppressive south.

no one is refuting the fact that missouri draws influence from the south as much as you are refuting evidence that missouri also draws a great deal of influence from the north, east and west. you have classified missouri as an "upland south" state, but just about every official designation considers it midwestern. you have yet to face that reality. wouldn't it be just as accurate in your view to call missouri a "lowland north" state? if you are consistent in your argument, then yes. but you're not consistent in your argument. you have one-dimensional perception.
I have produced sites that showcase Missouri as an area of transition between Midwest and South; I have produced sites that classify Missouri (among other states in the area) as: 'The Southern Crossroads.'. I did not write those sites, nor collaborate in their formulation. I merely present them.

And yes, if you want to do an inverse and call Missouri a 'Lowland North' (although I'd be more in agreement with 'Lower North', ) state, then roger that.

It's the difference ( as I was once told on a another subject) 'Between a dark-brown turd, and a brown-dark turd.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Cali
3,422 posts, read 3,830,799 times
Reputation: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oy gevalt, you have no idea!!!!!
I wish I could find matzo ball soup here thats as good as what my favorite deli serves there!
If you're ever in Los Angeles try the matzo ball soup at Canter's deli!:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top